Question of the Day, September 9, 2010

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
3rd ed, or to be specific, 3.5 ed. There's tons of materials for it, it's not too complicated, you have massive freedom in building your character (unlike 2nd and 4th ed). It's very robust and can cover almost anything. Also, d20 in general is easily adapted to any situation.

2nd ed was OK, and I HAVE to like it since I grew up with it, but it's got some seriously retarded and arbitrary rules (saving throw system never made sense to me in 2nd ed), the THAC0 and AC were counterintuitive, and so on and so forth.

4th ed I have no real experience with. On one hand, I heard that it's much easier to pick up and play, especially for inexperienced players, and I do like that they tried to give all the classes something to do and even out the power progression, but at the same time they made it too much like a generic CRPG and destroyed a lot of what made the classes distinct.

However, since I don't PnP anymore I'll just have to wait for the first proper 4th ed CRPG to judge it fully. Since the only thing on the horizon is the NWN MMO (and yes, it's an MMO, no matter how much Atari tries to sugar coat it), I suppose I'll be waiting for a long time...

Randyman

Feb 19, 2010
Jandau said:
3rd ed, or to be specific, 3.5 ed. There's tons of materials for it, it's not too complicated, you have massive freedom in building your character (unlike 2nd and 4th ed). It's very robust and can cover almost anything. Also, d20 in general is easily adapted to any situation.

2nd ed was OK, and I HAVE to like it since I grew up with it, but it's got some seriously retarded and arbitrary rules (saving throw system never made sense to me in 2nd ed), the THAC0 and AC were counterintuitive, and so on and so forth.

4th ed I have no real experience with. On one hand, I heard that it's much easier to pick up and play, especially for inexperienced players, and I do like that they tried to give all the classes something to do and even out the power progression, but at the same time they made it too much like a generic CRPG and destroyed a lot of what made the classes distinct.

However, since I don't PnP anymore I'll just have to wait for the first proper 4th ed CRPG to judge it fully. Since the only thing on the horizon is the NWN MMO (and yes, it's an MMO, no matter how much Atari tries to sugar coat it), I suppose I'll be waiting for a long time...
I totally agree with you on 3.5 and 2nd edition. i have dabbled in 4th ed. and it doesnt make sense at all.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I am currently loving 4th Edition, at least from the GM's side, it's a lot easier to run and builds monsters and foes around the idea that the GM is going to be managing a LOT of enemies, hence it's better if they have a few powers that recharge rather than the full suite that players get.

3rd Edition and 3.5 are now, unfortunately, woefully broken, their only salvation lies in Pathfinder, which greatly improves and cleans up a lot of the silliness inherent in the system. If you're going to play 3/3.5, play it as Pathfinder.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I love 4e. It streamlined a lot of things that needed it and gave fighters (and similar classes) more options than "basic attack." I have a little experience with AD&D (thanks to Baldur's Gate) and 3e, but I still prefer 4e.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
tho technically not d&d, Pathfinder is the best. best way to discribe it is d&d 3.75, it changes a few rules and rebalenced the classes, and you never loose xp. Damn good stuff.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
A somewhat heavily home-brewed version of Basic/Expert D&D with feats and balances to the fighter classes being the biggest changes. It still plays at least twice as fast as 3rd or 4th.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
I technically play 3rd edition, but in reality it's more of a weird frankenstein amalgamation of stuff from 1-4th editions

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I will always have a warm and fuzzy place in my heart for 2nd. I miss THAC0. Never played 4th, though I've talked to people who have, and it just seems wrong to me. Like they're describing a video game. Being able to do something so many times "per encounter" makes no sense to me.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I've only played the 3rd edition, me and some buddies got trashed on junk food and caffeine, played for 6 hours, and had a blast...

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Well I picked AD&D 2nd Edition. But only because that's what was out when I stopped playing so long ago. Not because of some deep seeded loyalty. If I were to start table-topping again I'd go with whatever the current version was.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
3.5 was very good... should have been on the list.

4th edition - sorry, that was the tipping point where they stopped trying to make computer games like AD&D, and decided to make AD&D like computer games. Utter crap.

porschecm2

Jun 5, 2009
I'm also a little surprised 3.5 wasn't a separate option. I chose 3rd edition instead, but with 3.5 requiring all new core rulebooks, it really should count as a different edition.

no one really

Nov 18, 2009
I have never been able to get into D&D, because I live in a... Somewhere that has like, 200 people living here, and no other nerds. : /

GahzlyGriffon

Feb 12, 2009
3.5 was used neverwinter 2 so thats what i would have chosen....

but hey 3rd edition is closest so im going with that

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
I started with 2nd, but prefer 3.5. I'm still DMing a 4th campaign at the moment.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Curious as to why 3.5e isn't a fixed choice on that list...Cause that's what I'm going with.
As would I, but I assumed that was under the 3.0 umbrella.

Technically, I'm happy right now with the Pathfinder game, and I have the most memories of 2.0, having innovated alot of our own house rules at that time, but 3.0 and 3.5 were the golden days, I think.