Question of the Day, September 9, 2010

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Having only played AD&D 2nd ed. and Basis D&D (Rules Cyclopedia version) I chose 2nd ed.

I think that 3.5 could be a good system and have some of the rules but have only played it via Neverwinter Nights so...

Homplok

Mar 7, 2010
Wow, my friends and I all hated 3rd when it came out. One campaign was all it took before we never played it again. I didn't even know there was a 4th edition. Are AD&D 2nd edition books worth anything yet? Because I've got tons of them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I actually prefer Palladium, it's simple and adaptable enough that you can pretty easily do anything with their system.
But when I did play d&d, I played 1st edition with 1st printing books handed down from my uncles. My friends and I enjoyed the campaign settings and everything that came with 2nd edition but just appreciated (and were used to 1st more.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Plinglebob said:
While 4th Edition certainly makes combat more interesting and helps keep things balanced, I started roleplaying with 3rd Edition so it will always have a special place in my heart.
/This

And as I have droped hundereds of dollars on 3.0/3.5 books making any form of transition would be a pain in the ass.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
I had to go with 3rd Edition. I dabbled in 4th edition for a while, but I very quickly grew to hate it, so I've come to the conclusion it was never released :)

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
4th, though I honestly think I need to get out and play non-D&D systems at some point, as I'm told that games such as Runequest have much better approaches to maintaining the balance.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
I played 3.5 and hated it. Combats where like "So everyone is a kind of fighter or rogue so they have 3-4 attacks per round. I'm an enchanter, I can cast only a couple of spells in the whole game and they're always resisted."

At least in 4th edition, everyone has cool powers and everyone acts as much as the others and non-attack powers are useful! (I play a warlord with lots of passive abilities and buffs for my allies)

DnD is nothing compared to Exalted tough.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I have no time for 4th. (As others said: might as well just play a video game.) I am using GURPS instead as I tend to make my own content. (And use settings other then fantasy some of the time) I voted for 3rd ed. as that was the last version of D&D I really played.

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, I picked 3 because it was the closest thing to 3.5 too. We moved over to 4 when we picked up several very new players and thought it would be easier to understand, but sometimes I miss my 9 pages of cleric spells. 4 has interesting tactics, but I find it more difficult to be surprising in the "Wait, you had *what*?" kind of way.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
3.5 is the version I'm most familiar with. Trying to get used to 4 but I don't like how a ton of important races and classes didn't make the first player handbook. Also, the idea of powers instead of spells is annoying and I can't get used to it.

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
3.5 is my favourite, although I am running a 4th ed campaign at present because all of the players are noobies at DnD, and 4th ed is really easy to learn/teach.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The only one I'm familiar with is 3rd Edition, but even then only a vaguely, so I went with that.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Tehlanna TPX said:

4th is really....stupid. To put it simply.

I mean for fuck's sake they downgrade gnomes :(
I'm pretty sure they downgraded gnomes because they were a stupid race (rules wise) and were only ever really worth playing in Eberron (Dragonlance is not an official DnD Setting and is owned by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman, so it had no bearing on the creation of 4th Edition all you DL gnome lovers out there) where they remain the same as they were when the setting first came out.

I dunno for me 3.5's problems are summed up perfectly by Zak of "I Hit It With My Axe" fame on his blog. He continually makes references to the stupid "Builds" that people came up with "a Level 13 Half-Demon Fleshtoucher" or something similar. 3.5's half racing, templating and mutli-classing got VERY out of hand near the end of the systems life. 4th Ed's streamlining and simplifying was a welcome and much needed change. But then again, by the time 4th Ed came out I hadn't played DnD for a very long time, instead spending my time with neater indie systems like Burning Wheel or Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies, and when I wanted to play "Dungeons and Dragons" again I tried 4th Ed and it worked perfectly for the type of game I wanted to play with it.

I guess 4th Ed is a lot more palatable for those of us who played a lot of annoying 3.5 games and consequently abandoned the system.

tarislan

Jan 25, 2010
Started back with Basic D&D, and then AD&D 2nd Ed, been playing pretty much continuously since. I've gotta go with 3.5/Pathfinder for my favorite. Classes in general are failry balanced, there's plenty of room for customization and personalization of your character, and characters can really grow with the story (I often say that if your character build looks the same at level 20 as you planned back at level 1, you're doing it wrong).