Questions on the new Mad Max movie

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
I just came back from the movie, and...Holy shit, it was amazing. I was seeing with a friend, and we didn't notice the time passing, really, we could watch that thing more two hours without any problem, because it was so good. Like a lot of people said...It was Mad Max, after we got out of the movie, my friend said something that i think it relates to the movie, she said that Mad Max is a post-apocalyptic samurai movie.

Really, since Road Warrior, it's basically "Max stumbles in someone elses problem, he is badass, but don't want to help. But he does have heart so he decides to put his extreme badassery in solving that problem and help people". That's basically this movie as well, the entire thing was Furiosa's problem...But as usual, Max in the end just helps because he can. Another thing i loved was...Fucking Nux, what an amazing character arch that guy had, really, i like Death Seeker characters, but they were able to give the guy funny moments, badass moments and emotional/dramatic moments. I see a lot of people saying the main characters are Furiosa and Max, but...Damn, for me Nux is right up there with the two of them.

About the "feminism" angle of the movie...I could see some stuff, but nothing that made the movie unwatchable, really, only the insufferable blonde was...Well, really, really annoying. But it was more because she was judging the people trying to protect her, while they were trying to survive in a kill or be killed situation, and...She was useless in the movie, she didn't have a cool moment like every other character. My friend said to me that the biggest problem she had with that character, is that she had a stick so up her ass, that she just was there to say shit. Oh, just for clarification, i'm talking about the lighter blond, not the pregnant one.

Aside from that...It's a very very very, amazing action movie, with cool characters, lots and lots of cool cars, the bad guy have a fucking War Bard (we're D&D fans :p) and the main characters are a post-apocalyptic ronin and a badass raider with a cybernetic arm. Anyone else also noticed the chemistry that Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron had? They didn't need to talk, but when their characters started to cooperate, it just...Clicked, it was so natural. Their redemption was awesome.

Anyway, awesome movie, right up there this year with Kingsman as a badass action movie of the year. Everyone should watch, because i want those sequels!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Gorfias said:
The sterility of it is the least of my concerns. She can die of infection later.

You need to know where to cut, how deep, how long.

I think it was an episode of Grey's anatomy: someone tries to do an emergency tracheotomy on someone and damn near murders them.
Its not murder if you're doing it with the best intentions to save their life. If you need a surgical airway they're pretty screwed anyway means you can't ventilate or intube them.

With your example its actually a case of reality is unrealistic as the cricothyoid membrane is one of the easiest landmarks on the human body to find.

In Max's case what he does is appropriate but without tubing and negative pressure he won't be able to drain the blood or stop it from collapsing.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
WolfThomas said:
Gorfias said:
You need to know where to cut, how deep, how long.

I think it was an episode of Grey's anatomy: someone tries to do an emergency tracheotomy on someone and damn near murders them.
Its not murder if you're doing it with the best intentions to save their life.
While I'm not using the legal definition of murder but hyperbole, a Juror could come to the conclusion you offer. But a prosecutor could charge Max with 1st degree murder and all lesser included offenses. Stabbing someone with a dagger in the side could reasonably be called "depraved indifference" saying he knew or should have known his actions were extremely likely to kill the person, even if it was not legal intent to kill. 2nd degree Murder. It would be up to that Juror to determine what had happened.

I think he'd be found innocent by reason of insanity or perhaps, guilty but insane. Like that lady who thought she had turned into Batman and needed to save the world by deliberately crashing her car into a truck.

If you need a surgical airway they're pretty screwed anyway means you can't ventilate or intube them.

With your example its actually a case of reality is unrealistic as the cricothyoid membrane is one of the easiest landmarks on the human body to find.

In Max's case what he does is appropriate but without tubing and negative pressure he won't be able to drain the blood or stop it from collapsing.
Reviewing what a cricothyoid membrane is. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

EDIT: Yikes. Being a layman, I have to agree that looks easy to find. Then in the shows, they typically take the ink tube out of a pen, hollowing it out, then stick that in there. Would that work without any kind of suction?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's an awesome movie. Loved it, loved the action, loved all 120 minutes of it. Vastly superior to Ultron, too.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Gorfias said:
While I'm not using the legal definition of murder but hyperbole, a Juror could come to the conclusion you offer. But a prosecutor could charge Max with 1st degree murder and all lesser included offenses. Stabbing someone with a dagger in the side could reasonably be called "depraved indifference" saying he knew or should have known his actions were extremely likely to kill the person, even if it was not legal intent to kill. 2nd degree Murder. It would be up to that Juror to determine what had happened.

I think he'd be found innocent by reason of insanity or perhaps, guilty but insane. Like that lady who thought she had turned into Batman and needed to save the world by deliberately crashing her car into a truck.

EDIT: Yikes. Being a layman, I have to agree that looks easy to find. Then in the shows, they typically take the ink tube out of a pen, hollowing it out, then stick that in there. Would that work without any kind of suction?
I meant in the case of the doctor on greys anatomy not Max.

If the patient is conscious and able move to their diaphragm/lungs yes it would work. Because the problem is an upper airway blockage. If they're unconscious you'd need a tube down there and positive pressure ventilation (either a machine or someone pumping a bag).

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
I want the next Mad Max to be an origin tale of Flamey Guitar Guy, and that he is actually a woman! That will give something to the conspiracy theorists to rage upon.

There wasn't anyone who WASN'T a badass in that movie. And I loved the scene where
Max goes to fight the bullet farmer dude, and everything is off-screen, there's just and explosion, and the "It's not HIS blood" line. That defines the dude as a badass, you don't need ANY MORE proof.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
WolfThomas said:
Gorfias said:

If the patient is conscious and able move to their diaphragm/lungs yes it would work. Because the problem is an upper airway blockage. If they're unconscious you'd need a tube down there and positive pressure ventilation (either a machine or someone pumping a bag).
George Miller, the director, is a trained medical doctor though he has not practiced medicine in a few decades.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Nielas said:
l
George Miller, the director, is a trained medical doctor though he has not practiced medicine in a few decades.
Yup. Though he also didn't practice for a long time either.

Gorfias and I by this point are actually talking a tracheal airway in Grey's Anatomy though. Not the haemothorax in Fury Road

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Just watched the movie. It's filled with feminists bull shit like "Girls can shoot guns even if they don't have penises!" and "Don't rape me and force me to have your children!"

I had to think about Vin Diesel naked through the whole movie. He's a real man's man. Thoughts of his glistening pecks and sculptured body kept me straight even as this liberal propaganda film tried its hardest to turn me into a gay.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
inu-kun said:
You can't have a film with gender equality while simultaneously playing the "Men is the expendable sex"+"men are all rape monsters and all women are kind motherly christ figures" cards all the time
How does it play those cards? Max and Nux both finish the film in a positive light, and as for men being "the expendable sex", the women fight (and die) alongside the men on the trip back.

and there's the "because people like you we are in this situation" line that gets repeated which seems to referring to men rather than anything else.
IIRC, the line "who destroyed the world" (which is used a few times in the film) is only once directed aggressively at someone: Nux. And that's because he's a Warboy, not because he's male.

Also why does the citadal has the least effective water dispension ever, most of it is just wasted?
Good question. I'm pretty sure it's because Immortan was running a kind of false scarcity scam on his people, to keep them reliant and docile. That's what I took from his speech near the start; "do not become addicted to water, or you will resent it's absence". The spectacle mattered more to him, as a show of power.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
inu-kun said:
The best you can say about Nux is that he's "misguided" and need a female to show him the way other than being a barbaric man.
Only because these are the only non-Warboys he's ever developed a connection with. He sacrifices himself to help the others, and makes that decision entirely himself. It's a redemption arc.

Max is a giant douche who'd rather gamble with an ineffective firearm than try to negotiate with a (mostly) unarmed group, at best they're grey unlike the girl (forgot her name) who's doing it from pity to the girls.
He's essentially the hero of the film, alongside Furiosa.

His distrust is quite clearly because he's terrified; he's been strapped to a vehicle and drained of his blood for the past twenty minutes, disoriented, and survives a car-crash. He then comes across a damn War-Rig. It makes plenty of sense for him to assume the worst, and he seems like a cornered animal at that point.

It just seems to me that a film cast some women in actions roles typically occupied by men, and some people don't like that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
WolfThomas said:
Oh. That, I think, is different, based upon the reasonableness of what was happening: a doctor, finding an easy to see patch to cut: likelihood of success so much higher than a layman stabbing a woman in the side with a dagger.

Can't recall the patient on Grey. I think they were conscious. Thanks: if I'm ever in that jam, I know to stab or not :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
inu-kun said:
watched it today, I kinda have to agree there's some sexist shit here, you can't have a film with gender equality while simultaneously playing the "Men is the expendable sex"+"men are all rape monsters and all women are kind motherly christ figures" cards all the time, and there's the "because people like you we are in this situation" line that gets repeated which seems to referring to men rather than anything else. Plus Max is barely a character and no one else gets really expended on so by the end I couldn't really connect to any character to care about what's happening. It's not deal breaking but kinda annoys.
The movie shows everyone in this society except for the dictator as expendable. That's how dictatorships work. Everyone is relegated to being a product to be consumed and disposed of by Joe. The Wives are simply more precious to him since healthy women (and men) are rare in this world, but should other beautiful girls come along he wouldn't think twice about replacing them. When Splendid is breathing her last breath all Joe cares about is getting his infant son cut out of her.

The women (the Wives and the Many Mothers) blaming the men for destroying the world is born out of distrust. This is why they're running away and wanting to live seperate from men. But the movie shows that this isn't the right way to go about it. The final message is one of equality, not just regaring to gender. The movie doesn't end with Furiosa and the Wives going back to the citadel to take over the place and enforce their female law, but with them displaying Joe's corpse infront of everyone and showing they don't need to live under a dictatorship anymore and that everyone can be free.