Quirkiest PC Game You are Playing

WouldYouKindly

New member
Apr 17, 2011
1,431
0
0
War of the Human Tanks. Quirky in a weird Japanese way. You fight with what seem to be mass produced chibi style anime girls in uniforms who explode when they die. It's also a fairly hard turn based strategy game. You're on an even playing field with the AI. It's a weird little game that kind of plays a bit like a more interesting version of chess, since any piece can kill any other piece.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
FPLOON said:
Journalist? Doesn't roll off the tongue for me... But, anyway, Rollers of the Realm needs it's own Wikipedia page! It's the only way anyone knows about anything nowadays! Odama, Pokemon Pinball, Metroid Prime Pinball, and even Mario Pinball Land has one!

And now I realized all of my wiki example come from Nintendo... because Nintendo "always" equal quirky... :p
*Stares menacingly at wikipedia*

...

Hmm, that hasn't solved the situation. This may require some form of human input. Maybe I can stalk find the developer's email and subtly hint that they do not exist yet and that they should probably get working on solving that tiny little niggle.

Nintendo is the godfather of quirk. I do not believe they are capable of anything else. That is why I love them so! Ok maybe not love, unhealthily obsessed? Umm, ok...love it is!
 

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
719
0
0
Viridi. In short: a plant watering simulator. Specifically succulents, the mildly alien-looking kind. I have a pot like it on my desk in reality, so I was mildly intrigued when I spotted it on steam. Then it turned out to be free-to-play and I was bored so... Fair warning: they grow more or less in real-time so it aint exactly riviting gameplay. Much like the real equivalent the idea is for it to be relaxing. You get a slug you can spritz, name and sing to though, so there's that.
 

Padwolf

New member
Sep 2, 2010
2,062
0
0
Well I'm playing Deadly Premonition. I don't even know how to start describing it. It's a game unlike any other. I love it to pieces. It's so strange and so wonderful and just... I don't even know. You have to see it to believe it really.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,680
2,384
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Padwolf said:
Well I'm playing Deadly Premonition. I don't even know how to start describing it. It's a game unlike any other. I love it to pieces. It's so strange and so wonderful and just... I don't even know. You have to see it to believe it really.
I've heard that game is just bizarre, yet awesome. I have it, I just need to get around to playing it.

So many games....
 

Padwolf

New member
Sep 2, 2010
2,062
0
0
Dalisclock said:
Padwolf said:
Well I'm playing Deadly Premonition. I don't even know how to start describing it. It's a game unlike any other. I love it to pieces. It's so strange and so wonderful and just... I don't even know. You have to see it to believe it really.
I've heard that game is just bizarre, yet awesome. I have it, I just need to get around to playing it.

So many games....
Haha well I can assure you, this one is worth pushing forward on the list. It really is awesome, but there are just no words to describe the things that happen in it. It really does feel like one of a kind.
 

Frankster

Space Ace
May 11, 2020
2,507
0
0
I find the idea that M and B is not hugely popular disturbing. There is no justice in the gaming world, fuck AAA gaming for the most part.

Anyways I'm playing Rebuild 3/Dominions 4/Viking Conquest (was already a big warband fan but only bought the mod recently cos of the sale you mentioned), and they all fill your criteria of being somewhat unusual and certainly not AAA games.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
OFF. It's an indie French JRPG (could it be called a FRPG?) about a batter in a mission of vanquishing ghosts in a surreal world (and most likely that isn't the real plot, as I just started playing it).
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,385
647
118
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:
So many games....
I will die long before I play everything in my Steam Library. And that doesn't include my Origins Account!

Shaun Kennedy said:
Mount and Blade is VERY popular
Steam has a free DLC this weekend. Checking it now.
 

pookie101

New member
Jul 5, 2015
1,162
0
0
farming simulator 2015

i hate farms, know nothing about crops, got it as part of a bundle deal and im addicted to the bloody thing and i dont know why
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,680
2,384
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Padwolf said:
Haha well I can assure you, this one is worth pushing forward on the list. It really is awesome, but there are just no words to describe the things that happen in it. It really does feel like one of a kind.
I'm working on FFX right now, but I think after that I'm gonna want to play something else for a while(I just finished FFIX). So I'll probably go ahead and try DP.

Gorfias said:
I will die long before I play everything in my Steam Library. And that doesn't include my Origins Account!
I've been working on some of the shorter games(Adventure games rarely go more then 5-10 hours at a pop) so that's helped shorten the list a little. Sadly, a couple games have popped up in the meantime on sale so the list hasn't really gotten shorter.

Episodic games are a particular case because even though I can finish the next episode, I don't scratch them from the list until I've played all the episodes(and there's a couple series that are waiting for the final episode to release).

At least I finally got around to making a spreadsheet so I can keep track of which games I've finished and which games I haven't touched yet, as well as those in progress. However, If I need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything, maybe that means I have too many....
 

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
2,980
0
0
I am going through a back catalogue of Point and Click adventure games at the moment. Curretly playing Memoria, but also have Deponia and the Edna and Harvey series in my list. (Yes... bought a Daedalic package!)

They are pretty quirky!

Next up... my catalogue of TellTales games!
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,680
2,384
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I am going through a back catalogue of Point and Click adventure games at the moment. Curretly playing Memoria, but also have Deponia and the Edna and Harvey series in my list. (Yes... bought a Daedalic package!)

They are pretty quirky!

Next up... my catalogue of TellTales games!
I really liked Memoria(though the past storyline was far more interesting then the present one). Unfortunatly, when I played "Chains of Santinav" later on, I already knew one of the big twists and the game in general wasn't as interesting as Memoria.

Edna and Harvey was nice and quirky(very LucasArts-like), especially "Harvey's New Eyes". I am trying to figure out how it got published in Germany, consider the
mass child deaths
early in the game.
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,385
647
118
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:
If I need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything, maybe that means I have too many....
This seems to be what is fun for you. No one ever said on their Death Bed, "I wish I'd had less fun in life." (TED Talk).

I won't quit acquiring games willingly!
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,680
2,384
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Gorfias said:
This seems to be what is fun for you. No one ever said on their Death Bed, "I wish I'd had less fun in life." (TED Talk).

I won't quit acquiring games willingly!
Very true. It's just the bizarre frustration of looking at my list and being able to pick out half a dozen games at a glance I want to play next, but knowing I can only realistically play 1 or 2 at a time if I want to have any hope of finishing them.

Gorfias said:
If that is inexpensive, I'll check it out! I like shorter games as long as they were worth the price. (Games like Fallout 3 though, are a hoot too. Gimme something addictive that lasts a long time!). But I always love a change of pace.
I actually went ahead and picked up EVOLAND 2 and it's actually pretty good. So far it's well worth the 15 bucks I paid for it on GOG and it's definitely shaping up to look more like a full game then the glorified proof of concept the first one is. The biggest difference is that the first game had you unlocking various gameplay features(such as saved games, color and 3D) and progressing from Game Boy graphics and play to Diablo/PS1 style game, while this one is more like Chrono Trigger, but each time period is represented as being 8-bit graphics, 16-bit graphics and Playstation style graphics. Also the game occasionally switches to an entirely different game genre, such as a bullet-hell, galaga style shooter or a Street-fighter type fighting game. Somehow, it still fits into the plot.

The other difference being is that the first game was 2 hours long from start to finish(I finished it in a single sitting) while I'm at about 6 hours on this one with no end in sight.

So yeah, quite quirky but a lot fun. However, a USB controller is almost mandatory for parts of this game. I don't know how I would have beat the Street Fighter bit without one(and even then my thumbs were killing when it ended. I now remember why I quit playing fighting games a long time ago).
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,385
647
118
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:
a USB controller is almost mandatory for parts of this game. I don't know how I would have beat the Street Fighter bit without one(and even then my thumbs were killing when it ended. I now remember why I quit playing fighting games a long time ago).
I do find some PC games (particularly ports) are meant to be played with a controller. I use a wireless 360 controller.

I agree about the frustration. Sometimes I do save a buck or two by NOT buying something but re-watching reviews of some of the best I already own but haven't played gets me wanting to get back to it again.
 

octafish

New member
Apr 23, 2010
5,137
0
0
Botanicula. My kids are playing it taking turns with the mouse. It's pretty much a point and click adventure game, but very wistful and charming about some little plant creatures that live on a tree trying to plant a seed. Not too obscure, it was a big deal a while ago. Good for getting the hang of the mouse... now to teach them wasd.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,680
2,384
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
octafish said:
Botanicula. My kids are playing it taking turns with the mouse. It's pretty much a point and click adventure game, but very wistful and charming about some little plant creatures that live on a tree trying to plant a seed. Not too obscure, it was a big deal a while ago. Good for getting the hang of the mouse... now to teach them wasd.
Have you played Machinarium? It's made by a lot of the same people, but is a bit harder and is very robotic/mechanical in theme rather then organic/natural.