Quit it: The Return

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Quit it: The Return

Bob takes on some of Hollywood's laziest tropes.

Read Full Article

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
weirdly it seems that nerds don't seem to get their own kind. Schlubs are relatable because they're schluby, not because they're "cool." Cool in and of itself is probably the most shallow trait a character can have

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
You know what would be nice? A nerd that isn't a hacker/genius. I don't want to downplay us nerds, but while I'm smart and nerdy, all I can do with a computer is a reasonably good virus check and I only know two decimals of Pi. My only nerd power is that I know a little bit about lots of stuff.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Nerds are just people, and it annoys me that Hollywood wants to push a single stereotype, whatever the stereotype is. "Good with computers" isn't a defining characteristic any more than "good with cars" is.

Varya said:
You know what would be nice? A nerd that isn't a hacker/genius. I don't want to downplay us nerds, but while I'm smart and nerdy, all I can do with a computer is a reasonably good virus check and I only know two decimals of Pi. My only nerd power is that I know a little bit about lots of stuff.
Or in other words, this. Well said.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
My personal trope I want to get rid of:

Dogs are good/Cats are evil. Seriously, one Bond villain has a cat and suddenly all cats are evil. It's feline profiling, I tell you, nyaa.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Ok that Raid trailer was awesome! I will be obtaining the film ASAP.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
About the first point: Yeah, I agree it's a little tired, token, and tacked-on, but what choice do they have? Because people will ask "Why don't they just call for help?", and if no explanation is given then the immersion will be ruined for those people. So unless a wider variety of alternatives can be conceived then it's going to have to stay.

Also, that 'Raid' trailer... DO WANT!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
MovieBob said:
Why remake a movie if the only reason to remake it is something you can't/won't do?
Because the point of releasing a remake isn't to give filmmakers a chance to recreate quality or put their own spin on the premise/story. It's to cash in on people who liked or heard good things about the original and are dumb enough to be drawn in by the prospect of paying to see the same thing again only slightly different. Nothing more, nothing less.

Varya said:
My only nerd power is that I know a little bit about lots of stuff.
Congratulations, your character gets to be that one person who just happens to know a handful of facts that are incredibly useful to the hero(es) and gets drafted into the role of sidekick for it. Yet another cliché that probably needs to die.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
One of my favourite recent portrayals of the "nerdy scientist" in a movie was the snake expert in Snakes On a Plane.

I'm not joking. Dr. Stephen Price was a bit quirky and nerdy, but hey, you have to be a bit quirky to get a PhD in anything. But the FBI agent comes in and barely gets the words "there are a bunch of poisonous snakes on a plane" out of his mouth before Price becomes all business. Within 10 minutes, he's telling the agent they need to commandeer all the anti-venom within 100 miles, talking to Samuel L. in the plane and figuring out exactly what snake species they're dealing with, and telling the FBI the address of the reptile dealer responsible, basically solving half the case. And he does all this without obfuscating technobabble or played-up nerdy awkwardness. It was completely unexpected and amazing.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
These were a lot better/more interesting than last time round, I guess because these are actual cliche type of things, not even necessarily a big deal but it just seems a bit lazy to do it.

I don't know how films are meant to get round the mobile phone thing nowadays though, although as a second point, is phone coverage really getting towards universal in the US? Because there are plenty of places where you can be unlikely to get signal in the UK and they're all in the sort of places where these films take place anyway

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
BrotherRool said:
I don't know how films are meant to get round the mobile phone thing nowadays though, although as a second point, is phone coverage really getting towards universal in the US? Because there are plenty of places where you can be unlikely to get signal in the UK and they're all in the sort of places where these films take place anyway
While 4G coverage tends to be spotty, I never don't have phone reception. Heck, even at my friend's cabin that's out in the middle of nowhere I get decent reception.

Dr. Dan Challis

Sep 18, 2009
Nerds no more run Hollywood now than children ran Hollywood in the early 00's, when you couldn't spit without hitting a computer animated kids film that grossed over $100 million. Just because you're being catered (or pandered) to does not mean that you have the keys to the asylum. I'd say that this is an online film critic trope that needs to stop, but Bob seems to be the only one incessantly beating this drum.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Abbey in NCIS is hot? Huh. I've always gad he exact opposite thought.. am I in the minority on this one?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Couldn't agree more. Especially on the nerd bit.

almostgold said:
Abbey in NCIS is hot? Huh. I've always gad he exact opposite thought.. am I in the minority on this one?
Evidently.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
While on the topic of american remakes of asian movies, whatever happened to the Oldboy remake? Did they actually come to their senses?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I always liked Abbey myself, just her lil quirks or something *shrug*

McGee was the one that was iffy in my books, something about him seems off... And after watching some of the really early episodes, Gibbs seemed like a troll to me, the good kind.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
While 4G coverage tends to be spotty, I never don't have phone reception. Heck, even at my friend's cabin that's out in the middle of nowhere I get decent reception.
The villains need to be upgraded along with the greasy nerd to smoking hot brainy chick. They got these little things that can scramble mobile/cell phone signals. Of course, Hollywood would then tape one them to an improbably high tower for the idiots to climb.

Here's a couple for the list;

Get rid of the bored serial killer with his over elaborate traps and death machines, we have guns now, been around for a while. A simple, single, inexpensive bullet and the world has lost another of its "precious" horny teens.

Get rid of the music. Nothing spoils the mood like "tense" music starting up out of nowhere, it's always an indicator that someone is going to die or something surprising is about to happen. Its the audio indicator that people are used to, get rid of it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JaceArveduin said:

McGee was the one that was iffy in my books, something about him seems off... And after watching some of the really early episodes, Gibbs seemed like a troll to me, the good kind.
Meh, I don't like the generic formula of the cast;

The old man leader who knows everything, the hot nerd chick, the horny pretty boy and the ethnic minority (usually aimed at whatever is judged to be the most socially ambiguous of the time).

More than one show has the team of Ultraperfects (Bones, but I'm not being specific or anything). It's hard to be entertained when you know that they are always going to win with minimal fuss.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
008Zulu said:
JaceArveduin said:

Meh, I don't like the generic formula of the cast;

The old man leader who knows everything, the hot nerd chick, the horny pretty boy and the ethnic minority (usually aimed at whatever is judged to be the most socially ambiguous of the time).

More than one show has the team of Ultraperfects (Bones, but I'm not being specific or anything). It's hard to be entertained when you know that they are always going to win with minimal fuss.
Well, they have killed off some, but you're right, the good guys always win. That's probably true for most media, especially crime investigation types.

I never really saw Abbey as a nerd myself. She was smart, but most of her quirks n stuff were from her goth side. The only really nerdy thing I can think of is the fact she's good with computers, and that one time she's stayin at McGee's and starts playing some FPS or something.