R.A. Salvatore Brings DemonWars RPG Expansion To Kickstarter

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
R.A. Salvatore Brings DemonWars RPG Expansion To Kickstarter

[kickstarter=rasalvatore/demonwars-allheart]DemonWars: Allheart is the follow-up to R.A. Salvatore's RPG Kickstarter, featuring a Knight class and solo play rules.

When 38 Studios went under, R.A. Salvatore responded in the best way he knew: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/interviews/12450-Curt-Schilling-Did-Nothing-Wrong-at-38-Studios-Salvatore-Says.2>Independently publishing an old-school fantasy RPG. The finished product, DemonWars: Reformation, was a tabletop game that emphasized ease-of-play and fast-paced combat mechanics in the same spirit of Dungeons & Dragons' First Edition. Now Salvatore has returned to Kickstarter with a DemonWars: Allheart expansion, introducing the Knight class along with solo and GM-free gameplay options.

DemonWars is set in the world of Corona, the setting of 11 fantasy novels written by Salvatore. Allheart focuses on the kingdom of Honce-the-Bear, but steps beyond the Monk class to introduce the Allheart Knights. Having one class per book may not sound like much, but DemonWars knights don't advance in a typical way. Players choose from two of seven specializations to guide character development, letting you mix and match to fulfill various character roles. In short, that means DemonWars knights can be anything from tanks to support characters while still operating within the same class.

Allheart will also feature new and expanded game systems. Jousting and fiefdom mechanics will be added as mini-games you can run within a DemonWars campaign, or play as standalone sessions. What's more, Allheart comes with a random adventure generator that lets players run GM-less and solo games if they choose. Salvatore will also include setting information for Southern Honce, along with a detailed starting area in the barony of Auvon-Lea.

According to the Kickstarter page, DemonWars: Allheart is finished mechanically, but the writing and publishing fronts still require backer support. The project still has 21 days and $35,000 to go, although <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rasalvatore/demonwars-reformation-0?ref=users>if Salvatore's last Kickstarter is anything to go on it has a good chance of succeeding. If so, expect to see the finished book reach gaming stores by Nov. 2015.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rasalvatore/demonwars-allheart/description>Kickstarter

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I'm kind of hesitant to throw money at the guy who wrote the Drizz't books. Those things were absolutely vile.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Alleged_Alec said:
I'm kind of hesitant to throw money at the guy who wrote the Drizz't books. Those things were absolutely vile.
Lol. From what I've read, the Dark Elf trilogy was far and away the best of Salvatore's work. Granted, I stopped reading him a long time ago, so...

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yeah, the Drizzt books were a good entry level series of fantasy books, at the beginning. But when their popularity exploded and he started churning them out like a factory, well... it was pretty obvious that he hadn't meant for the character to last beyond a few books. After the first 2 series (if we're generous) the writing and ideas really went downhill.

But he's done other stuff that shows he's got some writing chops, when not chained to the industrial grind. The Cleric Quintet series was overall pretty good.

OT:
Fanghawk said:
What's more, Allheart comes with a random adventure generator that lets players run GM-less and solo games if they choose.
That sounds nice in theory. Its tough, for me, to get a group together. All of the people I know and like are spread out away from me. I'll keep an eye on this.

Edit: Oh God I forgot he was the one to kill off Chewbacca in the Star Wars EU. Still haven't forgiven him for that.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
To be fair The first Drizz't books were very good then I don't know what happened to him but everything he wrote turned to shit. I think that if he was allowed to have more creative freedom he could put out a really good book.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Firanai said:
I think that if he was allowed to have more creative freedom he could put out a really good book.
I suspect the opposite. His best work was his most restrained; when he wrote Drizzt's origin story, the character and setting already existed, and he had to get him to the right place, the right time, and the right mindset, for his previously written work (but afterwards in the in-fiction timeline) to link up.

A lot of creatives actually work much better under severe constraints for some reason.

(Also, when he went off to work on his own new setting with new characters, the results were less than impressive.)