R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
The other day (yesterday) I was surfing the net and came across an article that said Jersey Shore rang the bell at the NY Stock Exchange. I thought "That's preposterous, America isn't that low, is it?". Well... it turns out that it has now been confirmed on the news and the end of The Daily Show. I'm still in a bit of shock and very skeptical that that actually happened.

Reason being, obviously this wouldn't happen if it didn't mean anything, so it's probably viewed by some as somewhat prestigious or honourable.

How have we sunk so low? Are we, as a country, regressing or even devolving?

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
I don't really understand the problem here. Maybe because I'm not into... any of the things involved other than the Daily Show, but I don't particularly care. Some idiots rung a bell in New York. I'm not sure that counts as the country devolving. It's not like we held a vote and the majority said "Go ahead, ring it."

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I've decided to write off Jersey Shore as one of those things that it is currently cool to watch and then mock.

I don't watch it, and I think the people who do watch it to mock it, are just trying to keep up with the pop culture phenomenon. It's a little silly if you ask me, but I don't think it is as popular as it seems. I think more people talk about it than have seen it. It only averages 3.5 million viewers a show. There are more than 300 million people in the U.S. 1% is not representative of all of us, thankfully.

ScarletRider

Jan 6, 2010
I wouldn't rely on the bell at the Stock Exchange as a barometer for the U.S. culture.

Although when I first saw the thread title, my immediate thought was "Wait, the U.S. has culture?" ;p

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
once your country becomes multiculturalised then you can pretty much say goodbye to any form of national identity and tradition.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
This is why I'm glad I do not watch MTV anymore. I have no idea what Jersey Shore is, save possibly where New Jersey meets the ocean, and do not care enough to google it to find out.

That said, the NYSE is a bunch of whores. Throw enough money at them and they'll let you ring the bell.

Apr 19, 2010
People did something stupid in a New York that affects barely anyone. Don't see how this justifies an entire nation degenerating culture-wise.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I'm confused. What exactly is the Jersey Shore?

Either way, I don't see how ringing the bell by whatever-the-hell-that-is is causing America's "culture" per se to regress.

the-messy-ghost

Oct 11, 2009
I didn't realise America had any culture anyway.

EDIT: Ok I just realised that about 40bill people have said that before me.
I must remember to read the thread first.

Elephant Walker19

Jul 5, 2010
You know the funny thing is that America is called "the great melting pot of cultures" yet, they(whites,the majority of americans)make fun of every other race,religion and culture that exist.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
This, is what makes you think that american culture is devolving. This isn't even a surprise, there are a lot worse things. A president elected who can't read a teleprompter, beleives that the proper plural of child is childrens, and who was quoted as calling the constitution, "Just a god damn piece of paper". A crushing abuse of the welfare system. Constant assaults on our individual rights, (I'm looking at you patriot act.). a miraculous abuse of the trickle down tax cut which can have no result other than to drive an insurmountable wedge between the rich and the rest, if the economy ever pulls out of it's hole, that is. We've been suffing a cultural devolution for over a decade, at this point, american culture is basically circling the drain.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Cheery Lunatic said:
I'm confused. What exactly is the Jersey Shore?

Either way, I don't see how ringing the bell by whatever-the-hell-that-is is causing America's "culture" per se to regress.
I think (So don't quote me on it) its a crappy reality show or drama on MTV. Kinda like the Real world only a little less fake and a lot more plastic surgery done on the faces and breasts of the cast.

OT: Thats it? Thats called a Public relations stunt. It happens all the time and its just used to boost knowledge of the stars and shows. People don't generally care who it is as long as they can say "Hey, we got someone famous to do this." It's not the low point in culture when this has been going on for years already.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Donnyp said:
wait....the states had culture before? It's not things like Jersey Shores that would be signifying the de-evolution of a country but rather the state of its people. 350 million people live in the states and its only a matter of time till all the smart ones die off. Thats when de-evolution will truly begin.
I thought it was only 300 million. And your making us seem like Idiocarcy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not really clear on the significance of this bell ringing, but yes I'd say the human race has been devolving for a good while now.

Tagball

Super Sexy Short Stuff
Nov 25, 2009
Try going to a school FULL of Jersey Shore rejects. Now, that is what true hell is like....

There are tons of people that think they are badass because they look like a cheeto crispy cheese curl. The reason I wasn't affected, well, I was born in Pennsylvania, not in NJ.

This Jersey Shore thing isn't the end of American culture. Trust me, this is coming from a guy that lives in a place permeated by the damp, stinky, moldy force of JS.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Ronald McDonald has also rang it at some point, is that any worse?

and yes the U.S. does have culture and an abundantly rich one at that. It was the birth place of some of the most intelligent political minds ever, even if that seems less so in recent history. The only reason why people say it has no culture is because the U.S. has broadcasted its culture all over the world and therefor its thought it has none because it is around almost everyone