R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

Highbrow

Apr 25, 2008
America dosent has culture lulz. Ever heard of Jack Kerouac? What about Ken Kesey? The joke wasn't funny the first time.

Though this is nothing new. Paris Hilton, New Kids on the Block, hell it probably goes back to the seventies or earlier. Lots of fools being soon parted from their money, you ask me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't see this as an end to U.S. culture mainly because the U.S, being a 'melting pot' Nation, has no set culture except that brought by the immigrants who have come to live here. Besides: Wall-Street is based on money not tradition or, culture. Really, the closest thing the U.S. has to a culture is that strange way we welcome immigration but at the same time demonize it when the 'wrong people' enter...Be they witches, the Irish or, one of the various racial slurs I can't say. That kind of prejudice has been with the United States since Columbus kidnapped a handful of people and brought them back to Europe.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
mraustindude19 said:
You know the funny thing is that America is called "the great melting pot of cultures" yet, they(whites,the majority of americans)make fun of every other race,religion and culture that exist.
To be fair, they all make fun of the US as well =)

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
spartan231490 said:
This, is what makes you think that american culture is devolving. This isn't even a surprise, there are a lot worse things. A president elected who can't read a teleprompter, beleives that the proper plural of child is childrens, and who was quoted as calling the constitution, "Just a god damn piece of paper". A crushing abuse of the welfare system. Constant assaults on our individual rights, (I'm looking at you patriot act.). a miraculous abuse of the trickle down tax cut which can have no result other than to drive an insurmountable wedge between the rich and the rest, if the economy ever pulls out of it's hole, that is. We've been suffing a cultural devolution for over a decade, at this point, american culture is basically circling the drain.
None of those things have anything to do with culture.

Political climate, sure. But not culture. Totally irrelevant.

Apr 28, 2008
hawkeye52 said:
once your country becomes multiculturalised then you can pretty much say goodbye to any form of national identity and tradition.
Which the U.S. became way back when it was still colonies.
So yeah.

OT: I don't care. This is New York and the Stock Exchange. Stupid things are bound to happen.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
Donnyp said:
wait....the states had culture before? It's not things like Jersey Shores that would be signifying the de-evolution of a country but rather the state of its people. 350 million people live in the states and its only a matter of time till all the smart ones die off. Thats when de-evolution will truly begin.
in every country with a population there will always be individuals or a group that have well developed intellects... you guys are taking what you see in the media and the "public" (which can be anything, anybody anywhere...which is usually only a small part of something bigger)and taking it as the overarching reality of a very general place or entity.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Jersy Shore is for idiots. I guarantee that next year no one will even remember that stupid show.

mishagale

Sep 22, 2009
hawkeye52 said:
once your country becomes multiculturalised then you can pretty much say goodbye to any form of national identity and tradition.
Interesting. My country's national identity and traditions have arisen out of hundreds of years of multiculturalism.

Also, what the hell is Jersey Shore? And how does a television show ring a bell? What does a stock exchange need a bell for anyway? OK, come to think of it, I don't think I understood any part of this post... Off to wikipedia for me.

EDIT: Back from Wikipedia. It does sound ghastly, but no more so than all the other reality tripe we have instead of television these days.

mishagale

Sep 22, 2009
Highbrow said:
America dosent has culture lulz. Ever heard of Jack Kerouac? What about Ken Kesey? The joke wasn't funny the first time.
OT:
Hmm, interesting that you mention relatively old authors. I'm a pretty big fan of classic American Lit, but I'm not aware of much good stuff coming from the states at the moment (only thing I can think of is Frantzen's Corrections, which was brilliant) - is the US publishing scene less vibrant than it was or am I just ignorant?

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
JRShield said:
The US had culture at some point in history?

That baffled me!
I was about to say this. Not in the snooty elitist sense, but it doesn't seem like we've ever had a separate culture that we can claim as our own. The closest we have, is the Wild West, Hollywood, jazz, and early rock n' roll. Aside from that, we're just based around the moronic consumer culture. Which, sorta explains the Jersey Shore thing...

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
ScarletRider said:
I wouldn't rely on the bell at the Stock Exchange as a barometer for the U.S. culture.

Although when I first saw the thread title, my immediate thought was "Wait, the U.S. has culture?" ;p
Crap. I was going to say the same. Seriously, this country simply hasn't been around long enough to have any culture of its own.

I don't think the U.S. is devolving; we're just people. People, as a whole, are stupid. Therefore people, being stupid, enjoy watching stupid T.V. shows. This doesn't surprise me in the least. Move along, nothing to see here.

mishagale

Sep 22, 2009
Donnyp said:
I don't know how many people watch the show on an average day but lets say 20 million.
You may be pleased to hear it's probably a lot less than that:
"The first season finale of MTV's Jersey Shore averaged 4.8 million viewers and a 4.8 coverage rating with people 12-34. That betters last week?s previous high of 3.6 million viewers by ~33%."

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/22/jersey-shore-first-season-ends-with-series-high-4-8/39816

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
That would be classified as douchebag culture, not to be confused with the scores of other kinds of American cultures...

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
hawkeye52 said:
Pretty much. Our culture is a basically stuff we liked from others, mixed in with some " If you don't like us, we'll blow you up and make you like us."

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Donnyp said:
theironbat46 said:
Donnyp said:
wait....the states had culture before? It's not things like Jersey Shores that would be signifying the de-evolution of a country but rather the state of its people. 350 million people live in the states and its only a matter of time till all the smart ones die off. Thats when de-evolution will truly begin.
I thought it was only 300 million. And your making us seem like Idiocarcy.
i thought it was 350 lol. And you guys are getting there. Your not right now but you guys might be cutting it a little close. Glenn Beck Case and point lol.
Don't even bring up that guy... Though I have recently started liking coffee... Might go get a cup right now.