R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

Mr Godfrey

Jul 31, 2009
Depends on where you ask. Most people are cultureless sheep in the US these days, going about there lives without taste, originality or creativity of any sort (see: the shallow girls from high school and the bland d-bag from work who googles 'greatest movies of 2010' and thinks it makes him cultured) but there is a culture to speak of. Several in fact. Hipsters(ugh), Hackers, Gamers and the like are leading the next generation as the US becomes more and more a service based economy requiring skilled computer savvy individuals. We have a culture, it just exists mostly through the internet.

shticks

Jun 8, 2010
There are hundreds of days in a year and only so many famous people to ring the bell.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
meganmeave said:
I've decided to write off Jersey Shore as one of those things that it is currently cool to watch and then mock.

I don't watch it, and I think the people who do watch it to mock it, are just trying to keep up with the pop culture phenomenon. It's a little silly if you ask me, but I don't think it is as popular as it seems. I think more people talk about it than have seen it. It only averages 3.5 million viewers a show. There are more than 300 million people in the U.S. 1% is not representative of all of us, thankfully.
I honestly had no idea it existed until I caught the internet mid-mockery, and if it weren't for the internet making fun of it, I still wouldn't know it existed. Seriously, for all I know you folks are making the whole thing up!

I'm actually quite frequently surprised to find that some stupid thing I thought somebody was making up as a mockery of real [insert whatever it is here] is/are in fact real and they weren't just hoisting an intentionally astoundingly bad strawman as social commentary or what have you. Huzzah for blissful, blissful ignorance of pop culture.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
*Sigh* i learn more about pop culture from the people who hate it than from the people who actually like it. Seriously, I had no idea nor had I ever heard of the jersey shore till i entered this thread.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
meganmeave said:
I've decided to write off Jersey Shore as one of those things that it is currently cool to watch and then mock.

I don't watch it, and I think the people who do watch it to mock it, are just trying to keep up with the pop culture phenomenon. It's a little silly if you ask me, but I don't think it is as popular as it seems. I think more people talk about it than have seen it. It only averages 3.5 million viewers a show. There are more than 300 million people in the U.S. 1% is not representative of all of us, thankfully.
I honestly had no idea it existed until I caught the internet mid-mockery, and if it weren't for the internet making fun of it, I still wouldn't know it existed. Seriously, for all I know you folks are making the whole thing up!

I'm actually quite frequently surprised to find that some stupid thing I thought somebody was making up as a mockery of real [insert whatever it is here] is/are in fact real and they weren't just hoisting an intentionally astoundingly bad strawman as social commentary or what have you. Huzzah for blissful, blissful ignorance of pop culture.
Consider yourself lucky. I've only ever seen snippets of it on The Soup. That's more than enough for me to stay far away from it.

It is pretty ridiculous. If I didn't know it was a real show I would think it was an SNL skit or something. Hell, it probably is. These people probably pitched a sitcom that some guy was like, "I don't think that will work as a sitcom... but a reality show... yes, ratings gold right there."

robman1130

Nov 9, 2009
oh jolly good... youve just created flame bait for all of europes pricks who over run this site.... and yes we do have culture, you guys just have too narrowed minds to even notice it. ever heard of rap? thats 100% americas fault. hotdogs? mark twain? transendentalism? really? aaaaaaand now i just remembered why i never come here anymore. too many interweb pricks and know-it-alls.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
xXAsherahXx said:
The other day (yesterday) I was surfing the net and came across an article that said Jersey Shore rang the bell at the NY Stock Exchange. I thought "That's preposterous, America isn't that low, is it?". Well... it turns out that it has now been confirmed on the news and the end of The Daily Show. I'm still in a bit of shock and very skeptical that that actually happened.

How have we sunk so low? Are we, as a country, regressing or even devolving?
I think if you researched the people who have rang the bell at the stock exchange, you might even find that Jersey Shore has been one of the better people/groups to be given the "privileged" (if you want to call it that).
But they're all mindless drunks....the SNL sketch makes decent life of their idiocy.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
robman1130 said:
oh jolly good... youve just created flame bait for all of europes pricks who over run this site.... and yes we do have culture, you guys just have too narrowed minds to even notice it. ever heard of rap? thats 100% americas fault. hotdogs? mark twain? transendentalism? really? aaaaaaand now i just remembered why i never come here anymore. too many interweb pricks and know-it-alls.
Oh I invite the flames on America, for that incident, we deserve all ridicule the Euros can give. After this week, it will be appropriate for the flaming to die down.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
America stopped being great when the most important news became who rang the bell in the stock exchange. Honestly Jersey Shore isn't the thing that should make you say,"OMG AMERICA IS BEING RUINED!", it should most defiantly be the people in our government that stand around and drool on each other and call each other names like it's what every one writes to tell them to do.

xXAsherahXx said:
robman1130 said:
Oh I invite the flames on America, for that incident, we deserve all ridicule the Euros can give. After this week, it will be appropriate for the flaming to die down.
If Europeans do anything it'll be pitying. They stopped making fun of us when the bruise on Snookies face healed.

God that was funny...

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Tagball said:
Try going to a school FULL of Jersey Shore rejects. Now, that is what true hell is like....

There are tons of people that think they are badass because they look like a cheeto crispy cheese curl. The reason I wasn't affected, well, I was born in Pennsylvania, not in NJ.

This Jersey Shore thing isn't the end of American culture. Trust me, this is coming from a guy that lives in a place permeated by the damp, stinky, moldy force of JS.
I didn't really notice particularly many guidos in my high school, maybe your town just sucks. >_>;

There were more goths than guidos at my school though, for sure. Not sure which group is worse.

Nailz

Jul 13, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
I don't know, have you ever not been so low?

Just thought I'd come in here and lol at the paradox of the title. "American Culture"
yeah right.

Give it a few centuries...

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
the-messy-ghost said:
I didn't realise America had any culture anyway.

EDIT: Ok I just realised that about 40bill people have said that before me.
I must remember to read the thread first.
Don't worry it is hilarious how much group think is occurring because everyone looks at that thread title and thinks; "Wait the U.S.A had culture?"

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
MTV used to be good, remember? Back in the 90's. Daria, Nirvana, Jackass, etc. What happened?

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
Are you kidding me? Jersey Shore is only the best freakin show ever! Culture wise, it's also about as American as they get. The whole point is that any schmuck off the street can make his or her stars just by being themselves. On television.

May 28, 2009
What is Jersey Shore? Why is Jersey Shore at the NY Stock Exchange? Has Jersey Shore sunk so low as to frequent that hive of depravity? Shame on Jersey Shore.

Please, someone, identify Jersey Shore. I am unsure if it is a person or an object.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Well, that bell's not going to ring itself.

Though it does seem that a common hammer mounted on a uniaxial rotation servo controlled by a cheap IC chip would be preferable to someone whose only merit is tied to Jersey Shore.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Nailz said:
xXAsherahXx said:

Just thought I'd come in here and lol at the paradox of the title. "American Culture"
yeah right.

Hey...we had the hippies...40 years ago.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
Please, someone, identify Jersey Shore. I am unsure if it is a person or an object.
Jersey Shore is a TV show [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jersey+shore]. It's also two different places, but we're talking about the show.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Nailz said:
xXAsherahXx said:

yeah right.

What makes you think we don't have culture? Honestly why the hell does everyone think that? What the hell has their country done recently?