R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
the momment bush got elected twice, people even defending him, and the great spawn of the tear party with sarah palin and glenn beck as its leaders

thats the death of this culture

Sep 14, 2009
xXAsherahXx said:
The other day (yesterday) I was surfing the net and came across an article that said Jersey Shore rang the bell at the NY Stock Exchange. I thought "That's preposterous, America isn't that low, is it?". Well... it turns out that it has now been confirmed on the news and the end of The Daily Show. I'm still in a bit of shock and very skeptical that that actually happened.

Reason being, obviously this wouldn't happen if it didn't mean anything, so it's probably viewed by some as somewhat prestigious or honourable.

How have we sunk so low? Are we, as a country, regressing or even devolving?
its really weird, its intended for people my age but everyone i know fucking hates that show with a passion, we realize how big of douchebags every single person is on that show and that it is basically the spawn of the shitstain of american underwear. the sad thing is just about all of my older relatives love watching the show....they think it makes them "cool and hip" to watch it and fills them in on "youngins these days"...and i have major facepalm to that.

honestly, if your foreign, please do not judge america from those horrible fucking shows like that..

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
/facepalm

The US has a ridiculous amount of culture.

That culture is changing. History won't remember some stupid show. No one would judge the Roman Empire on what Flatulus Decimus did on his way to the salt mines everyday.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Tagball said:
Dags90 said:
I didn't really notice particularly many guidos in my high school, maybe your town just sucks. >_>;

There were more goths than guidos at my school though, for sure. Not sure which group is worse.
Hell yeah, Monroe Township sucks. Even the name is terrible. During our Pep rally, the cheerleaders exclaimed with ecstatic joy: "We are the one and only...MONROE"!

No, we aren't. There's about 52 other Monroes in America.

There are very few goth people in my school and those that are look like the unholy child of Fat Bastard and Marilyn Manson.
what is a guidos?

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
pop culture(in the US atleast) has gone down the crapper in recent years. Hell i won't watch anything related to MTV, or listen to modern music. Its all garbage. I will gladly stay in my subculture cavern, and watch under-the-radar TV shows, and listen to good music(anything before the abomination known as MTV started leaching the creativity out of mainstream music, and starting spitting out shit called The Hills, Jersey Shore, and shitty 'dating shows')

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
lizards said:
Tagball said:
Dags90 said:
I didn't really notice particularly many guidos in my high school, maybe your town just sucks. >_>;

There were more goths than guidos at my school though, for sure. Not sure which group is worse.
Hell yeah, Monroe Township sucks. Even the name is terrible. During our Pep rally, the cheerleaders exclaimed with ecstatic joy: "We are the one and only...MONROE"!

There are very few goth people in my school and those that are look like the unholy child of Fat Bastard and Marilyn Manson.
what is a guidos?
A guido is a racist term for Italians. Mostly Sicilians and Neapolitans. Today it's been adopted by rich, spoiled children of successful Italian Americans in the same vein as the "n" word has been by blacks.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Midnight Crossroads said:
lizards said:
Tagball said:
Dags90 said:

what is a guidos?
A guido is a racist term for Italians. Mostly Sicilians and Neapolitans. Today it's been adopted by rich, spoiled children of successful Italian Americans in the same vein as the "n" word has been by blacks.
thanks

that was almost like you got it off urban dictionary

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
JRShield said:
The US had culture at some point in history?

That baffled me!
I wouldn't think that it makes a lot of sense for the United States to have a specific culture the way European or Asian nations do because it's such a hereditary smorgasborg. As much as we Canadians hate to admit it, we don't really have a single distinct culture anyway. Unless you're in Quebec, in which case it's an archaic version of French culture. The rest of Canada might be a bastard English, but that's becoming more and more diluted as the mainstream becomes more and more expected to bend over for every foreigner who wants to live in Canada without actually being Canadian.

Unless, of course, by "culture" we are referring to that high nosed arts, literature and theatre type of "culture", then the US had plenty of culture. Literature, theatre, music, film, art, all that. I'm not going to prepare a painstaking list of all examples because I shouldn't have to.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
D Bones said:
Reality TV will hopefully be dead very shortly. The return of the sitcom is coming!!!
I do not like false prophets, lets hope you are correct.

Jersey Shore... I am another disconnected person it seems. America is full of culture, there is however no one culture. I view this as a good thing. We have a nice mix and that helps us gain new ideas? You can't lose what you don't have, as there is no one culture we cannot lose it.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Two things that can go to hell: 1) Jersey Shore. 2) The Wall Street. I'm not a big fan of the current culture, anyway, and I personally think that it can only get better from here....I hope.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Gindil said:
Ok, I'm missing something...

What exactly is the significance of this bell being rung and how does this mean we don't have culture?
My point (even though I put a bit of a dramatic spin on it to create a sense of slight humour) is that if we think that letting the cast of that damn show ring a bell as supposedly significant (I don't see it myself) as that is a good idea, then what the hell does that say about us Americans?

N7 Ruiz

Nov 23, 2009
I wish we lived in the pre war fallout era it would make my head not hurt so much as how these morons got thousands of dollars these morons MTV must die!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
HonorableChairman said:
spartan231490 said:
This, is what makes you think that american culture is devolving. This isn't even a surprise, there are a lot worse things. A president elected who can't read a teleprompter, beleives that the proper plural of child is childrens, and who was quoted as calling the constitution, "Just a god damn piece of paper". A crushing abuse of the welfare system. Constant assaults on our individual rights, (I'm looking at you patriot act.). a miraculous abuse of the trickle down tax cut which can have no result other than to drive an insurmountable wedge between the rich and the rest, if the economy ever pulls out of it's hole, that is. We've been suffing a cultural devolution for over a decade, at this point, american culture is basically circling the drain.
None of those things have anything to do with culture.

Political climate, sure. But not culture. Totally irrelevant.
Of course these things have to do with culture. Our culture, as such, was built around the ideas of freedom, responsibility, and democracy. The things i listed are showing the slow degredation of these beliefs, and thus our culture. I'm also curious as to how you can consider the political climate irrelevant to culture?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Speaking of reality shows, how long before we get Running Man competitions?

We can start with that guy that was caught importing lolicon manga and Lindsay Lohan.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
ScarletRider said:
Although when I first saw the thread title, my immediate thought was "Wait, the U.S. has culture?" ;p
as a sociology major Im pretty much obligated to tell you to go look up the definition of "Culture", but I will save you the time. Basically culture exists wherever people do. Our culture isnt "dead" as the thread title suggests, it has simply changed. Thats what happens over time.

Now you could say we have lost all sense of our heritage. That makes more sense, but you cant just say "The U.S. has no culture." That makes as much sense as saying oxygen isnt there because you cant see it, but you are still breathing it. "Culture" by definition, isnt set in the boundaries of any one thing, idea, place or people group. Culture is simply human interaction shaping systems of social norms, policies, ideas etc etc.

Now granted I agree with the many who voiced displeasure at the thought of where we are as a country. But I wouldnt be concerned with the "Fist Pumping" crowd. Let them play with their little childish ideas of popularity in their own corner and they are pretty harmless. And if that is how people are basing the level America in... well whatever... then it only stands for 1% of the population.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
spartan231490 said:
HonorableChairman said:
spartan231490 said:
This, is what makes you think that american culture is devolving. This isn't even a surprise, there are a lot worse things. A president elected who can't read a teleprompter, beleives that the proper plural of child is childrens, and who was quoted as calling the constitution, "Just a god damn piece of paper". A crushing abuse of the welfare system. Constant assaults on our individual rights, (I'm looking at you patriot act.). a miraculous abuse of the trickle down tax cut which can have no result other than to drive an insurmountable wedge between the rich and the rest, if the economy ever pulls out of it's hole, that is. We've been suffing a cultural devolution for over a decade, at this point, american culture is basically circling the drain.
None of those things have anything to do with culture.

Political climate, sure. But not culture. Totally irrelevant.
Of course these things have to do with culture. Our culture, as such, was built around the ideas of freedom, responsibility, and democracy. The things i listed are showing the slow degredation of these beliefs, and thus our culture. I'm also curious as to how you can consider the political climate irrelevant to culture?
He means that politics have nothing to do with the latest fashions, top tv shows, music artists etc. At least, that is what I gather, so I could be wrong.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
I went into this thread assuming that OP had finally realized that "US culture" is a soulless facade, a simple mask for making money. And while I was disappointed by the fact that this wasn't a thread on that topic it's interesting to note that the topic kind of proves the point.

US culture is considered dead when stock exchange traditions aren't held properly? Really, I feel sorry for all you people in the US, more than I do us Canadians even though we're in almost a worse position. The only culture we have left is pop elements monopolized to make money. The only real things of worth in life is a new TV or getting a job promotion so you can work even harder. And it's a shame, because the US really has some incredibly unique past cultures and opportunities for interesting societies, even those guys down south that a lot of people seem to not want to associate with. Now it's all the exact same picture perfect life which isn't really a life at all, more of a detour around life. Working for 9 hours a day in the middle of the big city while spending the rest of your time still slaving away to your boss, worrying about paying your bills, and sitting in front of the TV? Yeah, it's a big fucking loss that the bells of liberty at the godsend stock exchange weren't tolled with the right golden hammer to mark another day of people scurrying over eachother trying to get as much money as they can.

/end rant