R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
What is this "culture" of which you speak? Last I checked, the United States is more of a collaboration of bad cliches and melodrama than culture.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I'm Dutch and honesly, no offence, but I think most of us think that the US is going down the tubes.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Jersey Shore AND the Stock Exchange?!?!?

My two least favorite things have joined forces!

Really just ask yourself, "What's the last thing the United States has produced that other countries want?"

You will have a very short list...

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Thedayrecker said:
Jersey Shore AND the Stock Exchange?!?!?

My two least favorite things have joined forces!

Really just ask yourself, "What's the last thing the United States has produced that other countries want?"

You will have a very short list...
Well yeah, because the last thing would be one thing, so one thing would be on that list.

ScarletRider

Jan 6, 2010
Hussmann54 said:
as a sociology major Im pretty much obligated to tell you to go look up the definition of "Culture", but I will save you the time. Basically culture exists wherever people do. Our culture isnt "dead" as the thread title suggests, it has simply changed. Thats what happens over time.

Now you could say we have lost all sense of our heritage. That makes more sense, but you cant just say "The U.S. has no culture." That makes as much sense as saying oxygen isnt there because you cant see it, but you are still breathing it. "Culture" by definition, isnt set in the boundaries of any one thing, idea, place or people group. Culture is simply human interaction shaping systems of social norms, policies, ideas etc etc.

Now granted I agree with the many who voiced displeasure at the thought of where we are as a country. But I wouldnt be concerned with the "Fist Pumping" crowd. Let them play with their little childish ideas of popularity in their own corner and they are pretty harmless. And if that is how people are basing the level America in... well whatever... then it only stands for 1% of the population.
You do realize I was just being facetious, right? o_O Then again, if this weren't the internets, I would give you cookies.

Now, as far as the culture is concerned, I'm more worried that the OP associated Jersey Shore with culture more than anything else. <_<

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Donnyp said:
theironbat46 said:
Donnyp said:
theironbat46 said:
Donnyp said:
wait....the states had culture before? It's not things like Jersey Shores that would be signifying the de-evolution of a country but rather the state of its people. 350 million people live in the states and its only a matter of time till all the smart ones die off. Thats when de-evolution will truly begin.
I thought it was only 300 million. And your making us seem like Idiocarcy.
i thought it was 350 lol. And you guys are getting there. Your not right now but you guys might be cutting it a little close. Glenn Beck Case and point lol.
Don't even bring up that guy... Though I have recently started liking coffee... Might go get a cup right now.
....huh? i have no clue what to say to this lol.
mishagale said:
Donnyp said:
I don't know how many people watch the show on an average day but lets say 20 million.
You may be pleased to hear it's probably a lot less than that:
"The first season finale of MTV's Jersey Shore averaged 4.8 million viewers and a 4.8 coverage rating with people 12-34. That betters last week?s previous high of 3.6 million viewers by ~33%."

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/22/jersey-shore-first-season-ends-with-series-high-4-8/39816
thank god. I thought i would have to commit mass MASS murder and not just mass murder lol.
In the movie Idiocarcy starbucks is basically a sex shop.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
McShizzle said:
no oneder said:
MTV used to be good, remember? Back in the 90's. Daria, Nirvana, Jackass, etc. What happened?
I agree that most of what MTV has on these days is crap (play more music videos for cripes sake!) However I did recently watch a short series on there that was called "My Life As Liz", that I actually thought was pretty good. It's only one thing in a pile of junk though (cough, The Hills, cough cough).
Just out of curiosity, I checked out this "My Life As Liz". I loved it, or at least the premiseof it. But everything else looks like reality tv.

This Liz character: highly identifiable with. Half-nerd, half -hipster! Just like me! She might be my long lost sister!