R.I.P Culture of the U.S.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
I fucking LOVE Jersey Shore. So, I can't really use the example provided above as an example of America's culture. But, um, yeah, I wouldn't consider America has a national culture, more just a conglomeration of other cultures.

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
no oneder said:
MTV used to be good, remember? Back in the 90's. Daria, Nirvana, Jackass, etc. What happened?
Yeah I think they still kinda do some of that stuff over at MTV2. They became like their own splinter-group of MTV after it got all bogged down with reality shows and shit, trying to continue what it started, but now they're beginning to become infected with the same shitty thing. Although to be fair the music of today certainly is not Nirvana-worthy, nor does Bam Margera par up with the rest of his Jackass co-stars. That guy really is an asshole.

May 28, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
Please, someone, identify Jersey Shore. I am unsure if it is a person or an object.
Jersey Shore is a TV show [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jersey+shore]. It's also two different places, but we're talking about the show.
Ah. I saw the words "Reality Television" and I believe that any opinion I form after that will be one worthy of acceptance. Thank you for curing me of my Google aversion too.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
err well the jersey shore has made a bit of a profit, and there are 365 days in a year, why not let them hit a meaningless button?

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
I don't like how people seem to think that 'culture' can be killed. I don't think people who say this type of thing understand what exactly culture is. Culture is not killed or destroyed. It only changes.

Culture (put as simply as I can), is everything that is different between the society you belong to, and the society that others belong to. It includes everything from language to food to common/uncommon social practices. It can't be killed. It can only change. And it will change.

The idea that a country has no culture is equally ignorant. Perhaps even more so. Get out, travel, and experience different cultures and it will help you understand what is so unique about yours.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
The Austin said:
Jersy Shore is for idiots. I guarantee that next year no one will even remember that stupid show.
Yeah,It'll just fade away like every other show about camwhores walking around and getting killed.

Nailz

Jul 13, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
Hey...we had the hippies...40 years ago.
Eurgh Hippies... go to France they are Everywhere

My initial post was kinda eurotrash parody.
In all honesty all the aspects I like and dislike about America have been true for a long time.
I don't think that the country as a whole is necessarily regressing, but rather filling the status quo.

Treading water for a while now America.
Sink or swim? What's it going to be?

Edit:
Cody211282 said:
What makes you think we don't have culture? Honestly why the hell does everyone think that? What the hell has their country done recently?
read this post Cody

Just as everywhere culture is diverse and magnificent, although sometimes we forget so.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
Cody211282 said:
Nailz said:
xXAsherahXx said:
How have we sunk so low? Are we, as a country, regressing or even devolving?
I don't know, have you ever not been so low?

Just thought I'd come in here and lol at the paradox of the title. "American Culture"
yeah right.

Give it a few centuries...
What makes you think we don't have culture? Honestly why the hell does everyone think that? What the hell has their country done recently?
I agree, its starting to make me think I wandered into some country flame war in 4chan and everyone's going 'OH LOLS NO COLTCHOR' at the USA.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Dr Snakeman said:
ScarletRider said:
I wouldn't rely on the bell at the Stock Exchange as a barometer for the U.S. culture.

Although when I first saw the thread title, my immediate thought was "Wait, the U.S. has culture?" ;p
Crap. I was going to say the same. Seriously, this country simply hasn't been around long enough to have any culture of its own.
That's just not true, looking at America from a foreign perspective its got plenty of culture, sure a majority of it was derived from a combination of other cultures but it still stands as its own.

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
To all those who say the US has no culture:

The vast majority music made in the last 60 years (with the exception of electronic and modernist classical music) has its origins in rock & roll, country, jazz, blues, soul, or gospel. These genres all originated in the United States. You just don't think of the United States as having a "unique" culture because US culture is incredibly influential in just about every country in the world.

OT: Everybody I know who watches Jersey Shore, and I believe the majority of people who watch it in general, watch it "ironically", although in my opinion that's no better than watching it "seriously".

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
xXAsherahXx said:
The other day (yesterday) I was surfing the net and came across an article that said Jersey Shore rang the bell at the NY Stock Exchange. I thought "That's preposterous, America isn't that low, is it?". Well... it turns out that it has now been confirmed on the news and the end of The Daily Show. I'm still in a bit of shock and very skeptical that that actually happened.

Reason being, obviously this wouldn't happen if it didn't mean anything, so it's probably viewed by some as somewhat prestigious or honourable.

How have we sunk so low? Are we, as a country, regressing or even devolving?
I'm an American, so logically, America is getting better everyday.

My presence can do such things.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
no oneder said:
MTV used to be good, remember? Back in the 90's. Daria, Nirvana, Jackass, etc. What happened?
I agree that most of what MTV has on these days is crap (play more music videos for cripes sake!) However I did recently watch a short series on there that was called "My Life As Liz", that I actually thought was pretty good. It's only one thing in a pile of junk though (cough, The Hills, cough cough).

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Ok, I'm missing something...

What exactly is the significance of this bell being rung and how does this mean we don't have culture?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
TriggerUnhappy said:
JRShield said:
The US had culture at some point in history?

That baffled me!
I was about to say this. Not in the snooty elitist sense, but it doesn't seem like we've ever had a separate culture that we can claim as our own. The closest we have, is the Wild West, Hollywood, jazz, and early rock n' roll. Aside from that, we're just based around the moronic consumer culture. Which, sorta explains the Jersey Shore thing...
Yeah, seriously, they don't call us "the melting pot" for nothing. You don't come to the U.S. to reinforce your ties to your culture, but to dilute them with dozens of other cultures.

Well, unless you're an ultra-conservative living in America, in which case you grasp desperately to the strange threads of what you believe your culture is whilst shrieking maniacally at the chaos surrounding you, paving the way for criminals to enter the government in exchange for their boldfaced lies that they can bring back the culture that your voices in your head assure you really exists.

Tagball

Super Sexy Short Stuff
Nov 25, 2009
Dags90 said:
I didn't really notice particularly many guidos in my high school, maybe your town just sucks. >_>;

There were more goths than guidos at my school though, for sure. Not sure which group is worse.
Hell yeah, Monroe Township sucks. Even the name is terrible. During our Pep rally, the cheerleaders exclaimed with ecstatic joy: "We are the one and only...MONROE"!

No, we aren't. There's about 52 other Monroes in America.

There are very few goth people in my school and those that are look like the unholy child of Fat Bastard and Marilyn Manson.