R.I.P. Gary Coleman

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
R.I.P. Gary Coleman

Gary Coleman, the man who became a sensation for saying, ""What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" has died.

For many of us, Gary Coleman was Arnold Jackson on Diff'rent Strokes. He was also Kenny Falmouth in The Curse of Monkey Island, and appeared as himself in Postal 2. On May 26th, Mr. Coleman was hospitalized after suffered a fall at his home and then developed a brain hemorrhage. On May 28th, it was announced that Coleman had died. He was 42.

Coleman's health was regularly an issue for him. At an early age, he suffered from congenital kidney disease, which caused his growth to halt. This, in turn, led to his 4'8" height and, apparently, his childlike appearance, too. He also had to undergo two kidney transplants in his youth and required daily dialysis. Just a few months ago, he suffered a seizure while on the set of The Insider.

It's hard not to feel sorry for Coleman. The man was a bad punchline for most of his adult life, usually appearing in productions as a parody of himself. Nobody took him seriously, though the mix of pity and amusement we felt for him allowed him to be the seventh runner-up in the 2003 gubernatorial recall election here in California (not bad, considering there were 135 candidates on the ballot).

Admittedly, Coleman was apparently difficult to get along with, based on reports of his temper flaring out of control and his public legal struggles (this perception wasn't helped when he <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUl2TpKoO0>erupted on the set of The Insider). This probably didn't serve him well when he was looking for work: no one enjoys working with someone whose anger makes them a liability.

It must have been hard for Gary Coleman, going from the immense success of his youth to having no real career left and declaring bankruptcy. I suspect his life was filled with more anger and frustration than most people's, even though it was cut short. Hopefully he's managed to finally find some peace.

Source: WENN

(<a href=http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3448084224/nm0171041>Image)

Dec 14, 2009
Man, why do child stars always end up getting fucked over as an adult. There are exceptions, obviously, like the Neil Patrick Harris.
R.I.P. Coleman, have fun on the lesbian cloud in the sky!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
It's not a nice way to go and it's never nice to hear someone has died. But it's good to hear that he hasn't lingered in his pain.

Rip.

Valkatron

Apr 22, 2009
Peace out Coleman, this is the second person i know of in a week that has fallen at home and died, the first was the mother of a good childhood friend. So please, be careful around your house, it's a trap!

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Senrab said:
Died of a brain hemorrhage? Too bad he didn't have a different stroke...
Dude... too soon.

And like I said in the other threads, while I never watched any of the shoes he was in, it's still sad when someone dies.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
So now Conrad Bain, who played the 50 year old father on Diffrent Strokes 30 years ago and is now 87, has officially outlived two of the three kids on the show. (Dana Plato committed suicide in 1999, and now Coleman.) Todd Bridges is now the only one keeping him from completing a very depressing hat trick.

RIP Gary Coleman, you will be missed. Especially since now we have to rely on Emmanuel Lewis for the grownup kid jokes.

ploppytheman

May 15, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
ploppytheman said:
He had such a short life.
Too soon...

This is definitely sad even though I didn't really know much about him.
He was 42 and had his time, all I know is I busted out laughing and almost wanted to wake up my dad to tell him about "different stroke" its so funny. I don't care that some random stranger died, 40,000 men and women everyday, come on baby don't fear the reaper. Unless you are a personal friend or family then who cares, lots of people die all the time.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Rest in peace, Gary. We'll never know who the heck Willis is, but we don't care.

Have a good time in Heaven.

EDIT: Nevermind, I now know who Willis is. Anyway, godspeed Gary Coleman.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
For a second I thought it said Gary Oldman, but then I re-read it and I have no idea who this guy is. Some minor American celebrity? Anyway, RIP I guess.