Racism, David Sterling the racist owner, and the NBA

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Everyone complains about him, but ultimately his players will still play for him, and people will still over-pay for tickets to see his team play in an overpriced stadium, buy the overprice food, the overpriced bad beer, and the overpriced sports team merchandise.

What's worse: This guy being an old asshole, or everyone else continuing to make him rich despite knowing what hatefull asshole he is?

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
I still don't believe that was his comments "in context", personally I can't fathom the concept that someone who owns an NBA team with Basketball being perhaps the most stereo typically filled with black players can be "that racist".

However he didn't abuse any players, and made a private comment. He may have just not liked the people he was talking about.

I personally find the punishment over-dramatic, and I really don't care about racism as long as the racist keep it to themselves or privately and not outright attacking others. I have a racist friend myself towards Aboriginals, but I don't care because he doesn't openly abuse them.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
And if what everyone is saying is true and he has been abusing his players, coaches and repeatedly showing racism openly. Why wasn't something major been done before? This is the first I've heard of him negatively so apparently the punishments have drastically increased from slight to outright catastrophic.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Sleekit said:
BlumiereBleck said:
I honestly don't care if he's racist or not. It is HIS team no matter what.
on this point...im just a feeble minded Brit who had a brother who liked basketball...

but i'm pretty solidly sure NBA teams are actually "franchises"...

and if that's the case...well the NBA as owner of the tree (which is what franc bit means btw) does effectively hold a overaching ownership/governance role

indeed a quick look at wikipedia confirms that a. the NBA clubs are indeed franchises and that on the subject of US franchise law in general b. "The majority of franchisors have inserted mandatory arbitration clauses into their agreements with their franchisees".

lemmie put it this way...if you were to buy a McDonalds franchise (and most of them are) you can nominally "own"/operate it...but you would very quickly find that not to be the case if it actually functioned and looked more like a strip club that just happened to sell burgers...because the franchisor has the overarching right to protect what is ultimately a form of lease arrangement involving the use of their brand etc, etc by the franchisee.
Can they take the team away from him though? Like what degree of ownership do they have over that? For example in the McDonalds analogy, if I own the property and the building, they couldn't take that, they could just say it isnt allowed to operate as a McDonalds, correct? I dunno, if they can do that I'm kind of confused as to what this guy actually owns in the first place. It'd be a PR nightmare to keep him around, I'd think if it was that easy they would have just done it.

On the actual racism thing, in most cases it's kind of a scary thought that a few dumb comments can ruin someone worth billions. Sometimes people slip up and say/do stupid shit especially when they're angry or drunk. Sometimes someone has opinions or feelings that they know are either unpopular or even straight up wrong and know better than to openly act on or say anything about them, and a lot of the time it has nothing to do with their profession. Usually my stance on this is "well yeah they're a an asshole, but that doesn't justify completely destroying their whole career." ...usually. In this case though, the guy owns a fucking basketballl team. He should have absolutely nothing bad to say about black people under any circumstance.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
shoddyworksucks said:
Any Southern California sports fan has known for decades that Donald Sterling is human scum. I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy who is going to lose his NBA franchise due to his own egotism and rampant stupidity.
Holy smokes, you've got that right. This article just came out from ESPN (Grantland):

http://grantland.com/features/sterlings-fold/

From the sound of the article, people have basically wanted him gone for a ton of reasons (racism just one of them) but either didn't have the proof or the balls to actually take the fight to him.

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
Their both scumbags. Him for being an entitled, bigoted rich guy, and her for being an embezzling, gold digging slut. The world is full of bad guys and we shouldn't sensationalize them. Maybe they will go away if we ignore them long enough.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
In the general karma view of things, yes, he was a racist asshole and certainly had something coming to him, whatever that may have been. But I strongly believe that in the direct transaction of his private views having professional consequences, that should not happen. If he does anything illegal, he should be legally prosecuted, and if he says stupid shit in a public forum, people should see him as stupid and call him out on it or say shit to him. But being a racist shouldn't have its own consequences, and that's essentially what this is. It is not something he's done, or announced, or anything in connection with basketball, it's something he said with a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I completely agree that racists should have a hard time in some areas and get flak for being racists. But it's not right to punish someone professionally for something they believe privately.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
harrisonmcgiggins said:
To start, I am not a racist, or support the idealogy.

But I am HIGHLY worried you can be forced to sell your property because of comments made in your own home. (I havent read thier contract, but if its in there, then this is fine.)
You can trust and quote me that this will set a precedant that will be used for anti-capitalism (OMG you said hurtful things about my mothers sexuality in Call of duty, now your game is mine. An extreme example for sure, but one we can understand) In the future.
I understand the reasoning behind such fears, but I have to disagree. Since what I've heard about this guy is that he has a history of racist statements and behaviour, the powers that be are adding two and two together and deciding that, "Yep, this guy is a racist asshole, best punish him for it." Nobody's going to come and take your house away if you say "Ha! Niggers" one day without any prior instances of racist behaviour.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go kick my cat into silence.

(That's a generalised "You" above incidentally, I'm not saying that you personally are racist or whatever).

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Dragonlayer said:
Since what I've heard about this guy is that he has a history of racist statements and behaviour, the powers that be are adding two and two together and deciding that, "Yep, this guy is a racist asshole, best punish him for it.
He also has a history of large donations [http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/follow-money-charities-sterling-donated-respond-article-1.1776572] to organisations in the support African Americans and tolerance/anti-racism and has been previously honored by the NAACP

He has received many honors, including the 2009 NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award, the 2008 BBA Humanitarian of the Year Award, and the 2008 NAACP Presidents Award [http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24541861/naacp-donald-sterling-wont-receive-lifetime-achievement-award]
It's ironic that this guy who everyone is so quick to hate as a bigot, has most likely done more for the rights of African Americans than most here ever will, probably more than the entirety of this forum put together.

The whole situation is so FUBAR it's hilarious.

edit:

When the bigots are doing more for equality than the everyone else you know shits fucked up.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
harrisonmcgiggins said:

But I am HIGHLY worried you can be forced to sell your property because of comments made in your own home. (I havent read thier contract, but if its in there, then this is fine.)
You can trust and quote me that this will set a precedant that will be used for anti-capitalism (OMG you said hurtful things about my mothers sexuality in Call of duty, now your game is mine. An extreme example for sure, but one we can understand) In the future.
Well, the procedure is sketchy, but the lynchpin of the matter is that the comments are out in the public now, and in that public, the overwhelming majority disapprove.

The way I see it, the freedoms that are given in this country are from two accounts. One, of course is the government, which in it's own core principle, (attempts to) prevent itself from stepping on the freedoms given to citizens in the Constitution. The other account is the citizens themselves, in that all citizens give you and each other freedom...including the consequences of action. All provided the citizen's reaction is within the line of set law, of course.

So, I'll take a shot with your CoD example.... yes, between you and I both citizens, I lose your game for saying hurtful things about your mother...provided you have the power to do that to my game (by whatever means; contacting mods, getting other vocal people on your side, etc.), and it's within the rules of those with the most power.

And that's what happened here. There might even be some legal ramifications in favor of Sterling, since it's quite likely that the recording was illegal. But people/private organizations still have power, and the guy only loses his job; the people aren't draw-and-quartering him (though some would most likely desire so). He may have owned the team, but that ownership position was under the rulings of the NBA itself; he still stood to lose that position in certain circumstances. I won't even say that the NBA held the same motivation to curb Sterling and sell his team as the rest of the country, but the fact of the matter is that they and us have the power to do so.

But yea, welcome to America! Where you don't (or aren't supposed to) face the tyranny of the government, but you'll surely face the tyranny of human society!

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
wulf3n said:
Dragonlayer said:
Since what I've heard about this guy is that he has a history of racist statements and behaviour, the powers that be are adding two and two together and deciding that, "Yep, this guy is a racist asshole, best punish him for it.
He also has a history of large donations [http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/follow-money-charities-sterling-donated-respond-article-1.1776572] to organisations in the support African Americans and tolerance/anti-racism and has been previously honored by the NAACP

He has received many honors, including the 2009 NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award, the 2008 BBA Humanitarian of the Year Award, and the 2008 NAACP Presidents Award [http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24541861/naacp-donald-sterling-wont-receive-lifetime-achievement-award]
It's ironic that this guy who everyone is so quick to hate as a bigot, has most likely done more for the rights of African Americans than most here ever will, probably more than the entirety of this forum put together.

edit:

When the bigots are doing more for equality than the everyone else you know shits fucked up.
Hmmm!

Well that is slightly confusing to say the least: digging into the details of the first link reveals the NAACP's original nomination was for his donations to the "minority youth community" so I'm a bit perplexed. It seems contradictory to be giving money to black youth groups, then saying the elder ones "smell and attract cockroaches", so either Mr Sterling is a much better person then we all suspected or the NAACP is a joke.

After all, cynical person might suspect that throwing money at "Feel Good" causes is a great cover for personal bigoted views/actions....

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
wulf3n said:

edit:

It is a very strange situation there. Most writers/commentators are saying that it was basically nothing but PR since he has been known by just about everyone in the know that he's a pretty horrible person all around (very cheap and keeping his teams irrelevant due to his practices, treating his employees like dirt, and the racism stuff that is now in the spot-light due to the comments just released).

However...does that take away from the fact that he has donated all this money and potentially made all these differences? He's a horrible person who has done a lot of good (regardless of what his motivations were for doing the good). As you state in your edit, "When the bigots are doing more for equality than the everyone else you know shits fucked up."

Also, I'll edit this story into the OP.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
harrisonmcgiggins said:

Yes, it is in their contracts. These are franchises. They are not wholly your property.

And that renders the rest of your post moot, since there's no slippery slope to being forced to sell off your COD game because you called someone's mom a lesbian.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
In the general karma view of things, yes, he was a racist asshole and certainly had something coming to him, whatever that may have been. But I strongly believe that in the direct transaction of his private views having professional consequences, that should not happen. If he does anything illegal, he should be legally prosecuted, and if he says stupid shit in a public forum, people should see him as stupid and call him out on it or say shit to him. But being a racist shouldn't have its own consequences, and that's essentially what this is. It is not something he's done, or announced, or anything in connection with basketball, it's something he said with a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I completely agree that racists should have a hard time in some areas and get flak for being racists. But it's not right to punish someone professionally for something they believe privately.
Hopefully, by now, you're aware this is more the straw that broke the camel's back, rather than the first salvo. This guy's been known to be a racist for years, and done some pretty shitty things. Several people have commented on this in the Escapist's thread with that community manager who got fired.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ipsen said:
But yea, welcome to America! Where you don't (or aren't supposed to) face the tyranny of the government, but you'll surely face the tyranny of human society!
I'm not sure there's any particular way to stop that.

In any culture.

BigTuk said:
How to deal with a racist... ignore him.
Why do people pretend sticking their head in the sand is remotely a viable solution to problems?

Ignoring him just allows him to continue his history of abuse of players, which is what they HAD been doing and he HAD been doing up to this point. How can anyone ignore that and with a straight face say things would be better if we just played pretend?

tippy2k2 said:
However...does that take away from the fact that he has donated all this money and potentially made all these differences? He's a horrible person who has done a lot of good (regardless of what his motivations were for doing the good). As you state in your edit, "When the bigots are doing more for equality than the everyone else you know shits fucked up."
Of course, he's really not doing more for equality. He's hampering it. He's simply throwing money at a situation to make it better. He's got a history, as people have already commented on. It not only doesn't make him less of a racist shitbag, it also doesn't mean he's actually solving anything. You can argue " potential," but all Wulf3n's really doing here is trying to muddy the waters. And to do that, we have to ignore a lot of other people--not every NAACP honouree is a racist, for example.

....Just ignore the fact that George Zimmerman is getting honoured. That doesn't make a pattern.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
I'm just wondering where is the witch-hunt for Alec Baldwin when he makes juvenile homophobic remarks? In fact, we should be controlling and listening in on all phone conversations to make sure that no public figures say anything that we don't want to hear.

...oh wait, we already do that?

...fun times.

My thoughts are that:
1.) This guy's a scumbag, this much is clear. He makes nasty racist remarks while he gives lots of money to the NAACP (money that the NAACP accepts despite their knowledge of this guy's comments, btw) and many progressive movements that fight for the equality of all people.
2.) I do think that it's a bit strange how much attention this has gotten (as I write about this very topic on a forum unrelated to the NBA...), particularly since some of the evidence found was from private phone conversations. I think that it's weird how the press and media are now becoming our judge and jury for non-crimes (saying racist remarks in conversation is still not a crime). I'm not really saying that I'm against any natural consequences that come his way due to this incident, but I will say that it's a bad precedent if institutions overreach their bounds to prosecute this guy.
3.) While he technically owns the team, which gives him a huge amount of autonomy (think of the Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder), there are somethings that the NBA is allowed to do as well and that they've done as a result. To me, that should be the end of it, yeah it may suck that Sterling gets away with this relatively unscathed, but that's the way of things in the world.

Don't cry too hard over this folks, we'll probably forget about it in a few weeks. Then we'll go back to not watching or caring about the NBA...