Racism, David Sterling the racist owner, and the NBA

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
Sleekit said:
theses tapes come from his pretty obviously "gold digger" GF (just in case people haven't figured that out).
With whom Mr Sterling as a ongoing legal case with, hence this deliberately led conversation being released.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
King Whurdler said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
King Whurdler said:
as a member of the LGBTTQQAI2S community, I totally understood the logic.
What?

Even plugging LGBTTQQAI2S into Google did not bring up any relevant results, is this a spelling mistake?
Nope, it stands for: 'Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, A-Sexual, Intersex, 2-Spirit.'

But I'm not having this discussion with you, so drop it.
hey, you're using an an Acronym that neither myself or Google recognized. (which now apparently does partly recognize with these recent posts
https://www.google.co.nz/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=gy1hU5iSM4Wc8Abt2ICICw#q=LGBTTQQAI2S&safe=off
).

I just wondered if it was an mistake as there were similar acronyms floating around.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
King Whurdler said:
lolwut

Anyways, Sterling's a known **** who's been abusive to both his players and the people around him. Absolutely nobody wanted him in the NBA and I have no sympathy for him.

EDIT: I do love people calling PC police for the players, couches and NBA managers collectively deciding to give him the boot. Again, I feel the need to post this comic.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
King Whurdler said:
Zac Jovanovic said:
King Whurdler said:
Nope, it stands for: 'Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, A-Sexual, Intersex, 2-Spirit.'

This made me giggle. Because using that ludicrous acronym is ASKING to have that discussion.
Fantastic, another one that just can't tolerate wrapping his head around something as simple as inclusion...
Okay, three things:

1) Jeez, this looks like a parody of an acronym. LGBTOMGWTFBBQ and all that.

2) It comprehensively fails the Google test.

3) Sticking more letters on the end and delineating things more and more does not equal inclusion.
Scout Finch said:
There's just one kind of folks. Folks.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
This whole thing is significantly more complex than the Mozilla stuff. CEO's are appointed by the Shareholders to run the company, they are not necessarily the Company owner, and thus they can simply be fired or kicked out. Being an owner is different, they really can't force Sterling to sell his team. It'd be sort of like having a neighbor everyone hates, but who owns the land they live on. Everyone may despise this neighbor and want them gone, but unless they?ve done something illegal, you cannot force them to sell their property.

However, the NBA itself is separate from Sterling, so they can ban him from attending games and basically having anything to do with the NBA, but they still cannot force him to sell his team (at least as far as I?ve gathered).

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
This whole thing is significantly more complex than the Mozilla stuff. CEO's are appointed by the Shareholders to run the company, they are not necessarily the Company owner, and thus they can simply be fired or kicked out. Being an owner is different, they really can't force Sterling to sell his team. It'd be sort of like having a neighbor everyone hates, but who owns the land they live on. Everyone may despise this neighbor and want them gone, but unless they?ve done something illegal, you cannot force them to sell their property.

However, the NBA itself is separate from Sterling, so they can ban him from attending games and basically having anything to do with the NBA, but they still cannot force him to sell his team (at least as far as I?ve gathered).
Supposedly, if 75% of owners vote in favor he can be forced to sell as per the NBA bylaws. It would have been a stipulation of his NBA franchise contract that he has to abide by these rules. If he breeches the contract, a judge might force him to sell or he might have to withdraw the Clippers from the NBA and pay hefty penalties to the league.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Interesting new bit of information I found. Sterling's girlfriend (the woman he was speaking to on the tape) says she didn't release it and that she is "devastated" about it becoming public. Considering she has also received 2.5 million USD in gifts according to the report, I'm inclined to believe she doesn't have the most selfless reasons for being worried about his loss...

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stiviano-lawyer-says-shes-sad-over-sterling-ban-100344552--spt.html

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
He should keep his team, make him live through the consequences, shame, and awkwardness. This is America after all, everyone has the right to be an asshat. If you don't like him don't go to the games simple as that.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Chaosritter said:
I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

He's not exactly fond of black people, that much is clear. It's kinda ironic since he owns a black basketball team, but whatever.

He doesn't slander them over the color of their skin, he doesn't stereotype or generalize them, he doesn't want to take their rights and so on. He simply doesn't like them for whatever reason. Not exactly what I'd call racism, more a matter of preference. Same as calling someone a racist for not dating black/asian/indian/whatever people.

This entire thing is horribly blown out of proportions imo. Another case of political correctness going rampant.

Captcha: smelling salt

Smells more like drama to me.
You are confusing racism with discrimination. Happens a lot really . But other than that i kinda agree. A lot of people are racist, as long as you don't discriminate , it's not really a problem. A person is well in their right to hate whoever they want for whatever reason, as long as they don't treat them differently ( read : poorly).

Kinitawowi said:
King Whurdler said:
Zac Jovanovic said:
King Whurdler said:

This made me giggle. Because using that ludicrous acronym is ASKING to have that discussion.
Fantastic, another one that just can't tolerate wrapping his head around something as simple as inclusion...
Okay, three things:

1) Jeez, this looks like a parody of an acronym. LGBTOMGWTFBBQ and all that.

2) It comprehensively fails the Google test.

3) Sticking more letters on the end and delineating things more and more does not equal inclusion.
Scout Finch said:
There's just one kind of folks. Folks.
You're number 1 made me lol way too hard. I think i'm going to start using that now.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Can they take the team from him? No, the league can't force him to sell the team? His crass and backwards arse beliefs have no place in the NBA or today's society. Hopefully the public shame and pressure will make him sell, when no one wants to be linked to what he said. He has created a toxic atmosphere around that franchise that no one will want to be part of.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
King Whurdler said:
Zac Jovanovic said:
King Whurdler said:

More like another one that doesn't have to blindly agree with you.

King Whurdler said:
Look, this is not the time or place, so why don't you just let sleeping dogs lie and drop it? All I did was use an acronym that, whether you like it or not, was appropriate and descriptive, and I am so not in the mood to have this fucking conversation and risk derailing the thread.
The acronym was hardly relevant to the conversation at hand. Nobody said anything about people who are "Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, A-Sexual, Intersex, [or] 2-Spirit". On top of that, your unprovoked hostility doesn't help your point.

OP: The guy is messed up(and racist) to say the least, but I have to question how ethical it is to punish him for having what he assumed was a private conversation. As another person suggested, its messed up that this incident is why he is being punished and not something the he did in the past.... like deny housing to people because of their race.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Sleekit said:
BlumiereBleck said:
I honestly don't care if he's racist or not. It is his team, no matter what.
A quick look at Wikipedia confirms that, A, the NBA clubs are indeed franchises, and B, that on the subject of US franchise law in general, "The majority of franchisors have inserted mandatory arbitration clauses into their agreements with their franchisees."
Thank you, Sleekit. I was going to go look that up myself, just because if he genuinely owns his team without obligation to the NBA, then the NBA had declared the intent to perform a basically illegal act, which made no sense to me.