Racism in Skyrim?

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
That's kinda the whole curve on the entire "ELVES HAVE SHIT LOCKED DOWN IN TAMRIEL" situation in the home of mankind :) im not trying to be a troll, that was just one of the key conflicts that was presented before release.

supersword44

Dec 25, 2009
jthwilliams said:
well you might argue that it is speciesism rather than racism as I don't think the human's and the mer can inner-breed. .
actually they can that's how the Bretons came to be. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton
but, you probably wont see it often because of all the speciasism you mentioned.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
This is a big part of world building in the Elder Scrolls series, and like others have said before, if you think it's something strange or awkward, then you're probably new to the series.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Lets look at the positives :D

Nords- They revere loyalty, skill, and honor in battle.
Imperials- Innovative and industrious.
Breton- Radical and intelligent.
Altmer- Masterful and determined to push to great heights.
Dunmer- 'Nuff Said.
Bosmer- Traditional and nature-loving.
Orsimer- Hard-working and have an unwavering strive to prove themselves.
Khajiit- Fiercely tied to their beliefs and aspirations.
Argonians- Same as Khajiit... can't think of a significant difference other than scales/horns.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
I'm a redgaurd,but I MARRIED AN ORC...now I can enter ANY Orc stronghold without trouble and mine ALL of the EBONY I want. I'm loaded with the stuff....my wife's also a blacksmith sooo :3 win!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Jaeke said:
Lets look at the positives :D

Nords- They revere loyalty, skill, and honor in battle.
Imperials- Innovative and industrious.
Breton- Radical and intelligent.
Altmer- Masterful and determined to push to great heights.
Dunmer- 'Nuff Said.
Bosmer- Traditional and nature-loving.
Orsimer- Hard-working and have an unwavering strive to prove themselves.
Khajiit- Fiercely tied to their beliefs and aspirations.
Argonians- Same as Khajiit... can't think of a significant difference other than scales/horns.
...What about Redguards?

oh wait, no one likes Redguards.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Oscar Ben Newton said:
When I entered Whiterun I saw a group of Redguards being herassed by Whiterun guards. The guards where going on about how the Redguards only wanted to come in to rape children and abduct woman to sell into slavery. When I went up to one of the Redguards, he said that they where just looking for a friend and if I could help.
Lol wut? I think were being trolled. Looking for a friend my left nut.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
thats nothin. did you see the cave full of bandits and ::possible spoiler::

that death pit full of Khajiit??? thats not just words of racism, thats flat-out killing another race

i knew racism was prevalent in elder scrolls, but seeing that actually made me cringe

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
Oscar Ben Newton said:
I first realised this just after I picked a race. I chose to play as a Nord which immediately brought the guard with the check list great joy. He was also very taken aback when after he gave his "Norse power" speech the front woman still ordered me to my death. This made me realsise that this game might have a slight Norse supiriourity thing going.

After surviving the dragon onsluaght I was sent to Riverwood, where another man sent me to Whiterun. When I reached Whiterun the first thing that I encountered was a squatter camp filled with Khajiit. I went closer and over heard two of them talking about how the Nords would not let them into Whiterun because they think all Khajiit are rapists and theives. They then went on to say that all they are trying to do is raise a family.

When I entered Whiterun I saw a group of Redguards being herassed by Whiterun guards. The guards where going on about how the Redguards only wanted to come in to rape children and abduct woman to sell into slavery. When I went up to one of the Redguards, he said that they where just looking for a friend and if I could help.

Things like this kept happening throughout the game, and I didn't make a post about it earlier because I thought Yatshee would bring it up in his review of Skyrim but he didn't. So I want to know if I am the only one who has experienced this racism, and if you have, share your tales of witnessed racist actions within Skrim.
Haha honestly not an offensive question just curious is this the first time you have played an Elder Scrolls game? There is heaps of racism, because generally the games revolve around the imperials or the empire attempting to invade a land and usually the natives don't exactly thank them for that. Hell in Morrowind there were entire towns and Houses of the government (kind of) that were devoted to the superiority of Dark Elves, and if you weren't one you weren't allowed to join them. Also they constantly sent a stream of snide comments your direction which quite frankly were a bit hurtful :(

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
There's been "racism" in EVERY Elder Scrolls game. They take place in a race's home country and they always look down on everyone else. Did you play Morrowind? If you were ANYTHING but a Dark Elf, they wouldn't refer to you as anything buy "Outsider" or "N'wah"

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
There's been "racism" in EVERY Elder Scrolls game. They take place in a race's home country and they always look down on everyone else. Did you play Morrowind? If you were ANYTHING but a Dark Elf, they wouldn't refer to you as anything buy "Outsider" or "N'wah"
Actually, they called you that if you were a Dark Elf as well. Mainly because, while you were still a Dumner, you weren't a Native Dumner, and still a "Outsider".(And well...Morrowind didn't have much in the "variable dialog" department)
It's been a while, lol. Thank you for correcting me.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
A redguard woman told me she didn't believe I was truly a Gourmet chef because my fur might get in the food. Khajiit enjoy cooking too, you know!

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
I was a nord because I always have been. And then I joined the stormcloaks because the Empire appeared to be sided with the thalmor, who gave me this almost nazi-like vibe. But I soon realized the stormcloaks are almost as bad. I just wish the empire would grow some balls so we could fight the thalmor together. I know it's more complicated than that with the empire dwindling after the peace treaty with the dominion, but I just don't like fighting for people who side with those committed to the enslavement or killing of all races other than them. The stormcloaks just want to close the border.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
It has been part of the lore in the entire series. This is a medieval society, as well as a world tthat, prior to your taking control, has seen many of the races each try to take the continent by force.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Fucks sake visit an Orc stronghold. They hate everyone.
Huh? I did one quest for them and now every single stronghold welcomes me like a brother (I'm an Argonian), what did you do to piss them off?