Radio DJ/Red Dead Voice Actor Cumia Fired For Racist Twitter Rant

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
vdrandom said:
Every week I read some news about people being fired for what they did on their PERSONAL internet media in the US of A. Are the employers there so retarded they fail to tell professional from personal?

I mean, yeah, it's not nice to go and feed the trolls or insult people over teh internets, but firing people only for that is just mindblowingly stupid.
Well, I'm in Germany. In my country this Twitter rant would constitute the crime of incitement of racial hatred ("Volksverhetzung"). Punishable with imprisonment between three months and five years, § 130 German penal code.

I know that the UK and Scandinavian countries have similar laws. That guy can be glad that he only got fired because 'Murica.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Cecilo said:
CriticalMiss said:
Plunkies said:
If anything I commend him on the restraint he showed for getting violently assaulted and the only retaliation he took was a few mean spirited insults on twitter.
Is there actually any evidence he was 'violently' assaulted? If he was then why didn't he report it to the police (the coverage I have seen mentioned that he didn't)? And methinks that saying black people are savages and wishing death upon the woman he was taking a picture of is a little more than mean spirited.
Love the double standard, ask a woman the same question, about if they were "Violently" assaulted, Unacceptable, ask it about a man. Totally fine.
It's not unacceptable to ask a woman for evidence that she was assaulted. If this were a woman in the same situation I'd still ask the same question.

He could easily take a picture of himself and his horrific injuries if he doesn't want to involve the police then maybe he'd gain a little sympathy with people.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
It's not unacceptable to ask a woman for evidence that she was assaulted. If this were a woman in the same situation I'd still ask the same question.

He could easily take a picture of himself and his horrific injuries if he doesn't want to involve the police then maybe he'd gain a little sympathy with people.
There are pictures but the only ones I can find are here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679686/Radio-host-unleashes-racist-Twitter-tirade-punched-face-black-woman-Times-Square.html

the originals seem to have been removed, So all we can say for sure is he took several picture of a black woman who seems angry at him, did he say something to provoke it? who knows but something obviously happened.
but whatever it was doesn't justify his rant, even if he was attacked.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
ASnogarD said:
The original Twitter feed is deleted and only have a forum posters copy to go on, which may or may not be complete and / or accurate (not saying the poster in question is dishonest but in the context this information should be in the original news report, rather than supplied after by a fellow poster).
Well what else is supposed to happen? The original article and poster could not source the tweets, but someone else has managed to from a different website and has provided them for proof. That is a lot better than many other news articles (not on this forum but in the media generally) get.

...according to the tweets the poster supplied...its not like he actually says black people are not people
Uh, about that...

Phrozenflame500 said:
http://i.imgur.com/VUjiT62.png
Oops.

or use typical racial slurs.
No, he just called them savages, pig, dogs and animal(s). Hold on a second, "savage" was a typical racial slur in the 19th and 20th centuries. Oops.

In other tweets, he also called her an 'animal *****', that she was lucky he was a 'white gun owner' and he wanted to 'put it to sleep'; and that 'I was fooled by my upbringing. "Don't hit a woman." But this was an animal. I shoulda smashed it's face.'
http://gawker.com/siriusxm-host-claims-cuntrag-assaulted-him-in-racist-1599491744

...I am thinking that this is a case of racism merely by implication and the fact that a white individual had a disagreement with black individuals, a common knee jerk reaction to most situations where white and any other none white race get into a encounter.
What the hell is it with people trying to argue that these comments are not racist, or that he shouldn't have lost his job or other bullshit. Is it some kind of attempt to rail against "PC", or is it political/anti-political bias against an issue seen as "left wing"?

++Top the topic at large++

Damn. Racist twat said racist things on a public platform. Totally unsurprised that he got fired, he deserved it.

I am also amused that is after-action tweets go from her having hit him 5 times, to 10 times as soon as someone comments on her violence.

It is also amusing that he claims he couldn't go to the police as she would accuse him of sexual assault, but also claims he has photos proving that he was assaulted (I would have thought having proof, particularly photographic, would certainly help to make your case)...and his ultimate reason for not reporting it was that there was no police officer around (a pity he didn't have some sort of telecommunications device with him, that the police do not have some sort of way of contacting them about crimes, nor are you allowed to report such things after the act), and that the police would not do anything because he was white and she was black (you know, despite the fact that various statistics suggest that the courts and law enforcement still have issues surrounding race, and the NYPD does not exactly have a reputation for being a fair force particularly in that regard). Oops.

His complaints about the group of black men "giving him shit" - I'm not surprised if he was calling her the same stuff in the street as he was in his tweets - referring to someone as a
'whore ***** piece of **** all pissy'
and
'CUNTRAG ***** fuck animal pig face worthless meat sack shit pile stink crotch ass stain rot bung...'
would make me want to beat him too. I'm not saying he did and it is never right for someone to be attacked...but if what had happened to him had happened to me, I'd have gone to/phoned the police - particularly if he had a camera/phone on him and already had pictures of her, why not photograph the group of men as proof too? They clearly were not smashing his camera, otherwise he would not have the photos that he has uploaded, so that excuse can be pre-empted.

Magnus Greel

Jan 4, 2014
Plunkies said:
AJey said:
A funny racist is still a racist, and last time I checked, that is not an attribute one wants to be associated with.
To be fair, the term "racist" has lost all meaning at this point. Anyone who talks in any way negative about black people in general...is likely to be called a racist.
...That is racist dude.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
Dude.

Can't get more racist then that, and that's ignoring all the "savage violent animal" remarks. How much mental gymnastics do you have to pull to call that not racist?
If he wasn't referring to his attackers when he said that, then yeah, it would be racist. But the thing was, that was how he was describing his attackers. Calling someone a savage, pig, animal, dog etc. isn't racist on it's own, even more so when you put it into context. The fact of the matter is, he was violently attacked by a group of racist savages. His only response was to call them what they are. HE is the victim in this, not his attackers.
tf2godz said:
........did you read his twitter rants, If you haven't Phrozenflame500 posted some of them up top. The men is fucking racist.
See above.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
It didn't say "Blacks ain't people" it say THEY, which could easily be referring to the people who "attacked" him (defended the woman) rather than the whole black race.
My point is that he could of been referring to just those who "attacked" him.

Savage is not specific to blacks, its a term for a person who is more apt to use physical force rather than discussing things... whites can be savages as well, my old ancestors are Celts and were rather savage in thier day just ask the Romans :p

I also pointed out that there is no description of the woman's objection, I mean was it a polite request or did she get aggressive about it ?
We simply do not know...

Lets say for arguments sake, he takes a picture and this woman is like " What the hell you taking my picture for, you paying me for those shots ? Give me that camera I want those pictures off like NOW! " (sprinkle in expletives as desired).
She may of raised her voice prompting a few men to jump to her defence, seeing a white dude harassing a sister... hey presto suddenly we have a racist white dude attacking a woman, now dude gets really pissed off but cant do much until he gets to the safety of the internet and blows up there.

... but it could of been easily a case of her politely asking him to remove the pictures where she is in the frame and him telling her what she can do with herself, my point is we dont know.

I still dont see the racist part of this news based on what was reported.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
This thread is going to get really hot soon probably should get out of here but...
black_knight1337 said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Dude.

Can't get more racist then that, and that's ignoring all the "savage violent animal" remarks. How much mental gymnastics do you have to pull to call that not racist?
If he wasn't referring to his attackers when he said that, then yeah, it would be racist. But the thing was, that was how he was describing his attackers. Calling someone a savage, pig, animal, dog etc. isn't racist on it's own, even more so when you put it into context. The fact of the matter is, he was violently attacked by a group of racist savages. His only response was to call them what they are. HE is the victim in this, not his attackers.
tf2godz said:
........did you read his twitter rants, If you haven't Phrozenflame500 posted some of them up top. The men is fucking racist.
See above.

Phrozenflame500 has post some of twits up top, like when he calls the black community violent or call her a c*** alot. I guess that isn't racist or sexist by your definition then.

ps. link to where you can see the rest of the twits. http://gawker.com/siriusxm-host-claims-cuntrag-assaulted-him-in-racist-1599491744/all

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
tf2godz said:
Phrozenflame500 has post some of twits up top, like when he calls the black community violent or call her a c*** alot. I guess that isn't racist or sexist by your definition then.

ps. link to where you can see the rest of the twits. http://gawker.com/siriusxm-host-claims-cuntrag-assaulted-him-in-racist-1599491744/all
I know, I read it all while the posts were still up. Of the ones posted above, the only one which is even close to being racist is the last one, "There's a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community. Try to address it and you'll be exiled to racistville. But it's real." Along with that comment he posted videos and statistics on it. It's a real issue, pointing it out doesn't make it racist. And calling someone a c*** is an insult, not racism or sexism.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
black_knight1337 said:
tf2godz said:

I know, I read it all while the posts were still up. Of the ones posted above, the only one which is even close to being racist is the last one, "There's a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community. Try to address it and you'll be exiled to racistville. But it's real." Along with that comment he posted videos and statistics on it. It's a real issue, pointing it out doesn't make it racist. And calling someone a c*** is an insult, not racism or sexism.
Ok let's see how far we can dig this hole

1.It weird that you think the c-word isn't sexist yet you didn't have the balls to type it out.

2.I would like to see the video and statistics he posted. I like to see bullshit before i call it out.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Ok so what I'm hearing is this guy's a racist. Not arguing that, but can we not classify the word savage as racist yet?

I don't want to get in trouble next time I see some general douchiness and I quote Clerks and say: "Buncha savages in this town"

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
By the way, it isn't like the woman was accidentally in his shot once, he kept constantly taking photos of her and then posted them on Twitter.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBED600000578-477_634x598.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBED100000578-858_634x540.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBEDA00000578-758_634x578.jpg

Also:

"They [Cumia and his co-host Greg Opie Hughes] were fined $21,000 for shows from between 2000 and 2001, in which a 17-year-old girl was told to take off her underwear and rub a telephone over herself."

Yeah, definite creep.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The Hungry Samurai said:
Ok so what I'm hearing is this guy's a racist. Not arguing that, but can we not classify the word savage as racist yet?

I don't want to get in trouble next time I see some general douchiness and I quote Clerks and say: "Buncha savages in this town"
Variations on "Savage" have a long storied history of racial context going back to ancients thinking people that don't speak their language aren't people. In a modern sense, it's been used as an justification to take over, enslave, or murder civilizations by imperial powers. It's the level of unthinking casual racism that keeps "gyped" in the lexicon.

OT - these were public comments about an event that, once again, he just sort of said happened like he happened and didn't go to the cops (bonus points for threatening to 'stand his ground'). Public racist comments. Hell, according to the law your private correspondence on the internet is public, and he just posted it on Twitter trying to get it seen by people.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The Hungry Samurai said:

When you say the whole town is filled with savages, you are not specifying a race, and thus aren't being racist.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:

It kinda has a long history as being used to describe black people, and in general non-whites.
I'm not sure how common it is these days, but it has a fairly racist history where the world was divided into a 'civilized' white civilization and the 'savages' who were just waiting to be colonized.

Probably depends on where you live, but I haven't heard it used as a general insult at all, it has always had racial under or overtones.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well that was completely stupid of him. People turn into morons as soon as social media comes into play, I'm convinced of it. But, you don't get to say public facing, outright racist things and get away with it.

I do see all the comments calling the words "savages" and "animals" racist, but they aren't explicitly racist. The context of what he was saying though, makes it racist. For instance, "Everyone at the mall is acting like savages because of the Christmas sale". I'm clearly using the definition of "attacks ferociously and mauls". If I say, "The Zulu were a savage people compared to e.g. the United Kingdom". It's clearly offensive at that point.

Though the use of the word illegal confuses me. He was talking about black people it would seem, but I don't know why they are illegal. It's weird seeing the snapshots of someone's train of thought.

I also have no doubt that this is not the last we'll see of this guy on the radio somewhere. I had this friend who used to love the shit out of Opie & Anthony, but I could never get into it. I never thought it was that funny at all, personally.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Lieju said:
The Hungry Samurai said:

It kinda has a long history as being used to describe black people, and in general non-whites.
I'm not sure how common it is these days, but it has a fairly racist history where the world was divided into a 'civilized' white civilization and the 'savages' who were just waiting to be colonized.

Probably depends on where you live, but I haven't heard it used as a general insult at all, it has always had racial under or overtones.
Its use as a racist insult, again, goes past language and time barriers. We're talking its synonym "barbarian" meaning smelly jibberish-spewing foreigner, and, on the other foot, a lot of East-Asian languages having a lot of words generally aimed at Europeans stating during the late middle-ages.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
He was taking creepy pics of women and he's mad he got caught. Especially mad that it was a woman of color that dared to oppose him, then let his racist side show. I'd smack the crap out of him too.

When I looked at his twitter a few days back when this intially all happened, he had a picture of a woman walking away, in a tight white dress and a comment about her being better behaved than the black woman that got after him. I presume the better behavior is not daring to oppose creepy, old white men taking pictures of you.

When I just looked back now, he posted a selfie with a black man saying "Look we're besties!" I am face palming so hard right now.