Radio DJ/Red Dead Voice Actor Cumia Fired For Racist Twitter Rant

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
RA92 said:
By the way, it isn't like the woman was accidentally in his shot once, he kept constantly taking photos of her and then posted them on Twitter.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBED600000578-477_634x598.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBED100000578-858_634x540.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/03/article-2679686-1F5DBEDA00000578-758_634x578.jpg

Also:

"They [Cumia and his co-host Greg Opie Hughes] were fined $21,000 for shows from between 2000 and 2001, in which a 17-year-old girl was told to take off her underwear and rub a telephone over herself."

Yeah, definite creep.
The claimed to be "Taking pictures of time square" but in reality he was just taking a picture of a pretty woman he saw. Rather than delete the picture when she caught him he decided to try and play victim. Guys stupid at best racist at worst.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
tf2godz said:
Ok let's see how far we can dig this hole

1.It weird that you think the c-word isn't sexist yet you didn't have the balls to type it out.

2.I would like to see the video and statistics he posted. I like to see bullshit before i call it out.
I censor it because it's generally considered one of the most offensive words there are. If you take a look at it's definition, it can be used sexually but it is also used as an insult, "Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable.".

His tweets are gone so I can't give you the links. But a quick search on the subject supports what he says. There's stats like the ones here [http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p11.pdf] that show that close to 40% of prisoners in the US are black and that 55% of those are for violent crimes. Compare that to stats like these [http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf] that say that people who are black make up only 13.6% of the overall population and it becomes pretty easy to see that there are some issues there.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
It seems odd to fire him when he is justifiably upset about being beaten for next to no reason.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
His tweets are gone so I can't give you the links. But a quick search on the subject supports what he says. There's stats like the ones here [http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p11.pdf] that show that close to 40% of prisoners in the US are black and that 55% of those are for violent crimes. Compare that to stats like these [http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf] that say that people who are black make up only 13.6% of the overall population and it becomes pretty easy to see that there are some issues there.
There's a lot of racial discrimination when it comes to cops making arrest.

For instance, of the tens of thousands of people arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana each year, 86% are Black or Latino while just 11% are white - even though white people use marijuana at higher rates. In New York's stop-and-frisk program, 87% stopped were black or Latino, and roughly 9 out of 10 were innocent of any wrongdoing.

Then there's the economic gap, with 45% of black kids living in the neighborhoods with the highest poverty, making them more susceptible to be profiled by cops.

The war on drugs has been waged primarily in communities of color where people of color are more likely to receive higher offenses. African Americans comprise 14 percent of regular drug users but are 37 percent of those arrested for drug offenses.

Black kids have higher rates of juvenile incarceration and are more likely to be sentenced to adult prison. According to the Sentencing Project, even though African American juvenile youth are about 16 percent of the youth population, 37 percent of their cases are moved to criminal court and 58 percent of African American youth are sent to adult prisons.

A 'quick search' isn't quite enough when it comes to this subject.

<youtube=7rWtDMPaRD8>

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
black_knight1337 said:
tf2godz said:
Ok let's see how far we can dig this hole

1.It weird that you think the c-word isn't sexist yet you didn't have the balls to type it out.

2.I would like to see the video and statistics he posted. I like to see bullshit before i call it out.
I censor it because it's generally considered one of the most offensive words there are. If you take a look at it's definition, it can be used sexually but it is also used as an insult, "Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable.".

He said it to describe a woman so it sexually therefore sexiest in that context.

are justice system has shown to compete shit towards black people. they're often set to jail falsely.

edit: someone much smarter then me (RA92) has made a better argument then me on the second point.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I love the show but its pretty much impossible to deny the guy is racist. The problem is he is just like this on the show sometimes. He always has been and its nothing new. Sirius knew this before they hired him and the show has done things that are so much more offensive time and time again. The reason he was fired is because people who don't listen to the show were exposed to it. He was not fired because Sirius was offended, he was fired because he offended other people who don't even listen to the show. Sirius trying to pretend they are standing on good morals here is absurd. Chances are this will blow over with the show continuing in some form or another but if you think offensive things are offensive nobody if forcing you to listen to a radio station that you have to pay for and nobody is forcing you to read tweets.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Plunkies said:
To be fair, the term "racist" has lost all meaning at this point. Anyone who talks in any way negative about black people in general or a specific black person is likely to be called a racist.
If you're speaking negatively about an entire race, that kind of is the meaning of racism.

I don't actually think he's a racist in the sense that he hates black people, but he's very clear about his views regarding black people and their tendency to commit a disproportionate amount of crime.
Which is a false statement.

I have no doubt that a lot of the people who like to feel superior when public figures say naughty words would definitely label him a racist though.
When you're calling black people animals, that is a racist statement. I'm not even sure what there is to defend here.

I mean, it's unsurprising that someone who says racist things is called racist.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
LOL. Anthony Cumia fired for racism. XM hired the dude because he was an obnoxious loud mouth shock jock with racist, sexist, near neonazi beliefs. He's absolutely insane but he's also a brilliant comedian and his half (though really third) of the talent was also the majority. I'm not saying they were wrong to fire him but they pretty much could of done it at any time since they hired him for the same justifiable reason. Siris/XM is going to be less without him IMO. I'm sure O&A fans are losing their marbles, they're radically devoted to those guys.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heh, I like[footnote]For a given value of "like"[/footnote] how people are trying to pretend that the guy wasn't being racist and sexist. C'mon, how much more obvious could he be?

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
Jeez, it seems there's this idea that you can say anything disparaging about a person's race and "not be a racist" so long as you don't outright say "X is an inferior race"

By that logic, I could say "I'm doing a better job roasting this animal than the guys at auschwitz" followed by a "shame, would've given them some tips" and you'd instantly have a bunch of people coming over to defend the statement because "I clearly could be referring to the culinary skills of nazi officers within their numerous deathcamps and my willingness to show them proper roasting and basting techniques" or some stupid crap like that.

This man's a racist, it's obvious what he's implying, and claiming "HE WAS JUST CALLING HIS ATTACKERS SAVAGES AND NOT A PEOPLE" is being purposely dense on the part of his defenders.
Except none of those insults were related to race, they were related to their behavior. According to what he said took place, she didn't try to talk it out at all. After having her picture taken she told him 'you don't take my picture', hit him, called him a "white ************" and then continued hitting him. That's pretty much the exact definition of someone being a savage or an animal. Race really doesn't need to come into this at all.

RA92 said:
Of course, although you can understand why someone would feel justified in saying the comment that he did. Without looking deeply into it, it's easy enough to just look at the statistics, even if they don't show the whole story.

tf2godz said:
He said it to describe a woman so it sexually therefore sexiest in that context.
No it's not. The sexual definition of it is just "a woman's genitals". I've never heard of that definition being used outside of things like "she's just a walking c***" or in other words, a whore. And in this context, I really can't see how he'd be using that definition over the more appropriate, "Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable."

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Heh, I like[footnote]For a given value of "like"[/footnote] how people are trying to pretend that the guy wasn't being racist and sexist. C'mon, how much more obvious could he be?
It's staggering, isn't it?

Even the most casual look at the link posted towards the end of the first page, which has a lot of the tweets as well as the pics show this for exactly what it was. Guy was being a creeper taking photos of a woman without her consent. When she objected, things got violent and he went on a racist tirade.

The mental gymnastics some people go through to defend this shit is hilarious. Nothing short of "Hello, i am ______ and i believe that ______ race is inferior" will make them admit it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RA92 said:
For instance, of the tens of thousands of people arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana each year, 86% are Black or Latino while just 11% are white - even though white people use marijuana at higher rates.
The numbers I've seen say the numbers are roughly even. That doesn't help matters, though. If close to 9 in 10 marijuana offenders are black or latino when the drug rates are fairly even across racial lines, it's still a big problem.

Hdawger said:
It seems odd to fire him when he is justifiably upset about being beaten for next to no reason.
Hm. When I'm upset I don't complain about systemic violence in the black community or complain that they are praying on white people.

Buuuuuuut maybe that's just me.

RA92 said:
When you say the whole town is filled with savages, you are not specifying a race, and thus aren't being racist.
Unless you also complain they're praying on white people in close context. Or something similar. The guy spent a fair share of time addressing blacks specifically. Or black "issues."

?The automatic jump to violence in that community is astounding. No discussion. It?s start punching at the least little thing. Uncivilized!!?

?It?s really open season on white people in this day and age. No recourse. Fight back and you?re a racist. The predators know this. Good luck.?

Of course, he totally doesn't mean black people. If you fight back against white people you're....a racist?

"The switch to violence is immediate. No discussion, just violence. When will THAT be addressed? Oh, right, never. Slavery did it? Oh, ok."

Totally has nothing to do with black people. He clearly went to the trend of people in general blaming their problems in slavery. In Confederate New York City.

"Then she punched me 5 more times. She?s lucky I was a white legal gun owner or she?d be dead. Then 5 blacks started giving me shit!"

I can't tell what he meant, but I'm sure it wasn't racist and didn't have anything to do with skin colour.

"I told them to back the fuck off, this wasn?t their show. The **** then punched me again. Seems white boys don?t hit back. Lucky savage."

"WTF? For no reason? -Reason!?? I WAS WHITE!!!"

Race certainly had nothing to do with this in his mind.

I mean, honestly, I have no idea why people think he was specifying black people or that race was a factor.

And I had to pare it down because I didn't want to post too much profanity.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
thaluikhain said:
It's staggering, isn't it?

Even the most casual look at the link posted towards the end of the first page, which has a lot of the tweets as well as the pics show this for exactly what it was. Guy was being a creeper taking photos of a woman without her consent. When she objected, things got violent and he went on a racist tirade.

The mental gymnastics some people go through to defend this shit is hilarious. Nothing short of "Hello, i am ______ and i believe that ______ race is inferior" will make them admit it.
Well, for a given value of staggering. People love denying this sort of thing is racist or sexist, this is just a more obvious example than many.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Haaa, it is pretty bad out on the streets at night though to be honest with you. I mean as a society that accepts "thug life" why should we be surprised or even care when they do what they "rap" about doing. I just mean that culture in general not a specific race by the way, it effects more than just one race.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
vdrandom said:
Every week I read some news about people being fired for what they did on their PERSONAL internet media in the US of A. Are the employers there so retarded they fail to tell professional from personal?

I mean, yeah, it's not nice to go and feed the trolls or insult people over teh internets, but firing people only for that is just mindblowingly stupid.
No, they fired him because he's a big part of their public image and nobody wants a massive racist representing them.

I agree on some of the cases such as the Turtle Rock guy getting fired for daring to call out sensationalist media and have an unpopular (but very valid) opinion but in this one, no, that guy had it coming.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
I don't know, people defended the parents who named their kids Adopf Hitler[footnote]Sorry to invoke Godwin's Law, folks, but I kind of have to mention the kid[/footnote] and Aryan Nation, so apparently you can get a lot more obvious and still play the "my feelings are hurt because you call me a racist" card.

Hell, didn't the Daily Show have a clip of guys in Klan outfits taking umbrage at being accused of being racist?

We have a movement right now trying to stop people from calling someone who shot at people a "shooter" or "gunman" because they are loaded[footnote]if you'll pardon the pun[/footnote] words. Because truly, someone who shoots people is the real victim.

In other words, this isn't exactly surprising.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I think context applies here... and the context is him saying lots of explicitly racist shit leading up to this point. It's not that he didn't specifically say the "word which we shall not name," but that he has a general vibe around him that he has problems with black people and really feels he needs guns to "protect" himself. I don't blame him for being angry or hold his viewpoints against him (I listen to the O and A podcast regularly), but then again, I don't really fault Sirius too much for kicking him off. They run a business and he doesn't fall in line with how they see their company, why should they keep paying him? He and the show as a whole would probably be better suited to an independent podcast form anyways, but the New York studio vibe with all the great comedians coming in was really fun.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RA92 said:
For instance, of the tens of thousands of people arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana each year, 86% are Black or Latino while just 11% are white - even though white people use marijuana at higher rates.
The numbers I've seen say the numbers are roughly even. That doesn't help matters, though. If close to 9 in 10 marijuana offenders are black or latino when the drug rates are fairly even across racial lines, it's still a big problem.
Well, my numbers say that in the last decade between the ages 18 to 25, white kids have had higher user rate...

http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2013/06/young_usage_rates_marijuana.png

... and yet black kids are three times more likely to get arrested.

http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2013/06/marijuana_arrest_rates_by_race_year.png

And remember, marijuana possession charges make up nearly half of total drug arrests.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Did Sirius NOT do a background check on the guy when they hired him?

Siriusly, it's like the old story about the scorpion asking the frog to carry him across the river.

You KNEW what he was like before you hired him. If you didn't then shame on you for not doing a background check.