RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

As ominous as that headline is, the reality behind it may be even more terrifying; The Xbox 360 iteration of id Software's RAGE requires 22GB of hard drive space.

During his keynote at the recent Quakecon event in Texas, id co-founder and gamer demigod John Carmack leveled with the assembled shooter fans. ShopTo News reports:

"On the 360 we don't have a partial install option," [Carmack said.] "It's all or nothing, which is kind of unfortunate. It means you have to install 21-22GB of stuff, which takes a long time, but if you've got it and you play it on the 360 that's the only way to go."

Before you decry those digits as the lunacy of a sunbaked madman, remember, this is the not the first time Xbox 360 owners have had to deal with such large installation requirements. The recent LA Noire asked players to install three DVDs worth of data, for instance.

Admittedly, in that instance, players could install a single disc at a time as the story progressed, thanks to its relatively linear nature. Given RAGE's sprawling, open-world climes, it remains to be seen whether players will have the option to install data as necessary, or if Xbox 360 players will just have to bite the bullet and absorb the memory hit all at once.

On a related note, it was rather polite of Mr. Carmack to attempt to soothe theoretically enraged gamers by adding that the Xbox 360 is the console of choice for the game. If nothing else, it offers Microsoft devotees some much-needed verbal ammunition for when their PlayStation-owning pals start ragging on them and praising the superiority of Blu-Ray.

If that act of generosity has you clamoring to hear more from Carmack, id uploaded the entirety of his Quakecon 2011 keynote to YouTube over the weekend. You'll find it embedded above, but fair warning: Catching the entirety will drain nearly an hour and a half of your life.

I'm sure there's a parallel to be drawn between the lengthy video and RAGE's installation requirements, but you seem like a smart bunch. I'm sure you can work that out for yourselves.

Source: ShopTo News [http://www.shoptonews.net/2011/08/08/rage-takes-up-22gb-if-you-choose-360-install/]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Sheesh. I'm glad I upgraded to the 360 Slim.

Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
I'm fairly certain you don't, but it's not made crystal clear in the article.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner.

Almost certainly will have relatively marginal impact on gameplay.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
This is why I hate a multiple SKU system. The Xbox 360 was so badly planned out that it didn't even originally have a HDMI output, but more offensive is the HDD issue. Sure, we can argue Blu-Ray, but a simpler and I think more relevant point would be that we should not have to buy MS branded hard drives, a tactic I remind you allows the to be totally anti-competitive and charge an exorbitant premium for their hardware. This is but another example of how we pay for their greed.

Edit:
rossatdi said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner.

Almost certainly will have relatively marginal impact on gameplay.
I own an older core system, the thing regularly crashes when I play on disc, partially because the disc drive itself shudders and rumbles rather violently when in use. Hard drive installs alleviate this problem. this again all because of corner cutting on Microsoft's part resulting in shoddy hardware design and even shoddier QA.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I would care if my hard drive wasn't 250GB

Sure it's a large chunk, but it's not like that space is being actively used anyway.
But ouch, downloading 22gigs of data is going to take forever

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i actually prefer installing a huge bunch of data once, i hated how MGS4 made me install stuff after every act and if i wanted to go back to get one item i missed i had to do the whole thing twice. if you have the space installing the game once at the beginning is great, even if it takes forever, just do something else.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
... 22 GB?

No problem for me, having an Elite console with like 80 GB still free. Stupid idea for the people with the core consoles though.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Sucks for us first release console owners.

My harddrive is 20gb :( , and it only has 11gb free.
Blah. I'm so sad, I picked up my 360 a year after launch.

20 gig, no HDMI.

I've got so many downloaded games that I have to delete them every now and then to create space.

I refuse to pay their absurd prices for HDD's.

Also recently I brought an MU to a buddies place and found out they don't work with the new 360's o_O

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.
Thats definatly a big screw you to everybody who still has their launch consoles with under 20gb hard drives.
Don't be upset at Carmack, this was a big screw you from Microsoft. At least for me and my original 360 hard drive :( and i'm like Mister Beniot the amount they want for a large harddrive is ridonkulous.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, guess I'm getting Rage on the PC.

I still have a 20GB hard drive. And of that, only 13GB was ever available. No way I'm upgrading though. When I can pay $60 for one terabyte hard drives for my PC, no fucking way in hell am I paying $130 for a 120GB hard drive. Microsoft can go screw themselves on that.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Oh my....this is an outrage !

Is what i would sayin if i were a console gamer, luckily i have three HDD's in my PC, the smallest is 400GB, second 1TB and a new one 1.5 TB, so...sucks to be YOU !!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
If nothing else, it offers Microsoft devotees some much-needed verbal ammunition for when their PlayStation-owning pals start ragging on them and praising the superiority of Blu-Ray.
And when they start doing that, I'm going to remind them that the "superiority" of Blu-Ray cost me 10-11 cases in LA Noire because the discs weren't big enough and tell them to shut up. Not that I care about Rage that much at the moment, but I've had enough of that idiocy from PS3 fanboys in the past and now it's turned out that their storage format caused content to be cut from a game, not 360's DVDs.

Mister Benoit said:
I refuse to pay their absurd prices for HDD's.
You should be able to get a bigger one for an old 360 for a much more reasonable price these days. Still sucks, but it's better than dealing with a dinky 20GB HDD.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
No problem, still got a 112gb left. I feel bad for people who still have those other xboxs though :(.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Xbox 360 is the console of choice for the game.
I wish people would stop fucking saying that, and just try to make it as good as possible on all platforms. If I keep getting told to 'press X' on the PC version of the game I'm going to be pretty pissed off.