Rainbow 6: Patriots "Wasn't Working," May Still Appear on New Consoles

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Rainbow 6: Patriots "Wasn't Working," May Still Appear on New Consoles

After internal review, it was determined that the game had to be remade for next-generation hardware "if and when it comes out," according to Ubisoft.

The long delay of Ubisoft's Rainbow 6: Patriots has been the result of an internal editorial board, but the game may yet appear on the new generation of console hardware. "Rainbow had to be remade," said Laurent Detoc, North American president for Ubisoft, in an interview with IGN. "Now they're going to have the benefit of the new consoles, if and when it comes out." The team had a "good vision" for the game, Detoc said, but Ubisoft ultimately decided Patriots wasn't up to their standards.

He called Ubisoft's review board very influential and more than willing to tell developers if they think their game isn't good enough. "It's one of those examples where you try, it doesn't work, you try again. If it doesn't work, we're not going to bring it to you." Detoc also floated the possibility that the Rainbow 6: Patriots team may rebrand the game entirely, to move it away from a counter-terrorism story.

We last heard about Patriots this past August, when Ubisoft confirmed the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127132-Ubisoft-Confirms-Rainbow-6-Patriots-is-Still-Kicking>was still kicking. It was first announced in in 2011, with a trailer that promised to focus on the ethical ramifications of counter-terrorism just as much as gunplay. While Detoc's words are hardly a commitment to release the game, there is still hope Patriots will see the light of day in some form. That is, unless its been sent to rot in the same part of Ubisoft where they're keeping Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/13/rainbow-6-patriots-had-to-be-remade>IGN

Nov 28, 2007
And yet Ubisoft has no issues pushing out a new Assassin's Creed game every year. I'm not saying they are full of crap, but how bad could this have been to fail Ubisoft standards after two or more years of work has been put into it, and they are able to pump out Assassin's Creed games with less than a year of development for each new one?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
AND LO THE WORLD SHRUGGED!
Seriously the gluttony of modern military shooters just makes this news seem 'meh'. I could get excited about Rainbow Six games in Vegas 2's day, but today I just can't care.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
That's a shame. I had thought that Vegas 2's gameplay - and even its campaign - was a cut above most military shooters. The customization and ability to use, well, actual tactics was cool. Never got a chance to try multiplayer though.

Oh well. I guess we'll see.

Jul 31, 2013
'...to move it away from a counter-terrorism story.'

Ubisoft, what the actual fuck is this shit? Explain yourself!!!

Oh, great idea, let's make a GTA without the whole crime thing! Or a FIFA game that's not about football! Or an Assassin's Creed game without all those pesky assassinations!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
SanguiniusMagnificum said:

Oh, great idea, let's make a GTA without the whole crime thing! Or a FIFA game that's not about football! Or an Assassin's Creed game without all those pesky assassinations!
I'll give you FIFA, but GTA V makes it entirely possible to do one mission and then use the stock market to get all the money you would ever need,

Also, assassin's creed 3. Need I say more?

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
The story part of this game was really interesting and yet Ubisoft decides to redo the whole thing, if that's the case what is going to bring interest to the new Rainbow game if the original concept is way more interesting?

Jul 31, 2013
Racecarlock said:

I'll give you FIFA, but GTA V makes it entirely possible to do one mission and then use the stock market to get all the money you would ever need,

Well, I'm not sure about you but I don't know a lot of people that bought GTA V for the stock market.
The Assassin's Creed line was kind of meant as a stab to Ubisoft, seeing as how we're seeing progressively less sneaky, silent and stabby assassinations and more face-bashing, cannon-shooting action with the occasional "tailing" mission.

Not that I'm against face-bashing and cannon-shooting. 'Twas pretty wonderful in Black Flag, actually.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
I feel a little bit of a problem when part of the gameplay for the game is "Hold R2 to not explode". Sounds interesting at first glance but the more I think about it, the more I think about how much I did not enjoy Heavy Rain, GOW, or any of the other QTE filled games gameplay.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
Vegas 1 and 2 were great, my favorite tactical shooters. I hope the new one lives up to them. I also loved the customization and 'protect Dr. Phil'.

The VIP in the VIP game mode was a civilian who looked like DR. Phil. Many good memories were had.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

To be fair there aren't a lot of assassinations in Assassin's Creed. Sure, lots of combat, but I counted maybe 9 assassinations. And then most of them also occur in combat. Wish the games were more about stealth.

Bindal

May 14, 2012

Well, in the book (yes, some people forget that there was a book), their first few missions were - on the surface - a bank robbery and two hostage situations, all - again, on the surface - not related to each other.
If they go with something more police-like, it would work. Terrorism per se would be gone or at least moved away from, gameplay entirely unchanged.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Azkar Almsivi said:
Vegas 1 and 2 were great, my favorite tactical shooters. I hope the new one lives up to them. I also loved the customization and 'protect Dr. Phil'.

The VIP in the VIP game mode was a civilian who looked like DR. Phil. Many good memories were had.
So you don't like tactical shooters then? Vegas 1 and 2 were good cover based shooters, possibly the best cover based shooters but they were not tactical in any way when compared to the proper Rainbow Six games, SWAT games, Hidden and Dangerous, or even the original Ghost Recon.

Myself, I am looking forward to Takedown: Red Sabre. That should be sweet.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The new R6 games were never that good compared to the originals. They were more sneaking around and taking out terrorists in rooms using tactics. The last two were just Rainbow Cod shooters. Im not buying the excuse that the idea they had didnt work and they had to start from scratch, they are a studio with a lot of experience. I think they just didnt want to move the parameters of their game away from a cod style shooter. This new game would have needed bigger one place levels, like a farm or a compound in a wood. More akin to the original Ghost Recon where you have big areas and have to sneak your way to the target. Either that or you could play as an undercover man in the terrorist group and you pass info to the main Rainbow team. After which you play as the Rainbow team attacking the area and the intel you have like bombs, victims and other points of interest on your map depends on how successful you were undercover.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
octafish said:
Myself, I am looking forward to Takedown: Red Sabre. That should be sweet.
It's actually pretty much a flop. Non-working or cheating AI (same guy might even flip-flop between the two mid-combat), non-working servers, no serious amount of maps, outdated graphics...

SourMilk said:
Yes, "gameplay" footage with the entirety of the video having a glaring asterisk saying not actual gameplay footage. Thank you Rainbow 6 team for wasting six minutes of my life that I will never get back filled with over bearing Clichés.

I was kind of surprised to hear Adam Jensen's voice as one of the bad guys though. >.>
Well, they hardly can show ACTUAL gameplay when there is no game yet, now can they? So, they show the alternative: Gameplay in form of a concept video using pre-rendered content only. A "how WOULD it work if it would be proper gameplay" than "how the gameplay works".
And considering they clearly stated it to be this, it's a complete legit way to do.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Racecarlock said:

Don't forget all the yoga, dog-walking, beach running and missions that involve driving to some place before driving somewhere else and then driving some more. To quite Yatzhee, is this GTA or Grand Theft Boring Normal Life?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Guess I'll just have to stick to Spec Ops: The Line for all my American shooting needs then....

In all seriousness, I thought this one looked particularly interesting for it's look at home-grown terrorism, shame I'll have to wait even longer for the possibility of it being released.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
thebobmaster said:
And yet Ubisoft has no issues pushing out a new Assassin's Creed game every year. I'm not saying they are full of crap, but how bad could this have been to fail Ubisoft standards after two or more years of work has been put into it, and they are able to pump out Assassin's Creed games with less than a year of development for each new one?
I'm pretty sure Ubisoft has multiple teams working on AC titles, in much the same way CoD was alternatingly developed by Treyarch and Infinity Ward.