Rally round the family. Anonymous takes down Monsanto site!

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
In my opinion, taking down their website will do nothing. Monsanto didnt get as powerful as they are because of a website.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
This will accomplish absolutely nothing.

When will you internet people learn? Just because you temporarily shut down someone's website doesn't mean anything in the real world.

You've done NOTHING!!!

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Racecarlock said:
(Rant)

Are hackers just schizophrenic or what? They're either wrecking the PSN or taking down the sites of evil corporations. Are you Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader, because you can't be fucking both. I'd prefer it if they chose Luke Skywalker.
That's...kind of the point.

Think of Anonymous as a cell that multiplies and divides itself. The original cell has a set of ideals, then the rest get ideas of their own and execute them as they wish. They are called "splinter groups".

The whole point of Anonymous is that they are Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. Anonymous is anyone. Republican or Democrat, Tory or Labour, Black or White, Furries or...whatever the opposite of a furry is.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
See, this is like what Lul SHOULD use their hacking talents for, not stealing people's personal information and ruining lives.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
Fursnake said:
For once Anon went after a group that deserves to get fucked with.
Anonymous actually supported the Arab Spring by harassing the shit out of the local government as soon as a revolution popped up.

So... Not the first time.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
... really?

That's fucking awesome. Capitalism is awesome until people start being extreme dicks about the situation, which is what Monsanto has done. They sue anyone who reuses their seeds, as well as anyone who reuses seeds in general. They claim that their patented seeds blow over into the few farms that don't use their seeds. In any other business, this would be somewhat ok, but farmers have a tough enough time as it is. Oh, and how the hell do you patent seeds? I've thought long and hard on the issue, and my conclusion is that the Supreme Court justices who ruled that you can patent life (including seeds) were heavily bribed by Monsanto.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
...Let me guess. This means that they've bumped up the price of veggies and possibly killed off entire crops while Monsanto recoils?

Or they've done nothing but annoyed Monsanto for a day?

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Redingold said:
Who are Monsanto and why are they monsters? And how is this actually going to affect their operations?
hudsonzero said:
Question, who/what is monsanto?
Monsanto is the leading seed producer in North America. You know all those crops that people grow to get your veggies on the table? They all come from Monsanto. And they hold a stranglehold on farmers and the seed market. If you don't dispose of your seeds at the end of the season, they can charge you for stealing their property. You have to buy new seeds every season so that they keep making money. If you don't, you're out of business. They pretty much ruin anyone who tries to game the system.
I'm pretty sure they genetically modified the seeds so that they would die at the end of a season or two, and not be able to be planted. I'm pretty sure they took it to a whole new level. Either way, I hope this does at least a little damage to them.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
thedeathscythe said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Redingold said:
Who are Monsanto and why are they monsters? And how is this actually going to affect their operations?
hudsonzero said:
Question, who/what is monsanto?
Monsanto is the leading seed producer in North America. You know all those crops that people grow to get your veggies on the table? They all come from Monsanto. And they hold a stranglehold on farmers and the seed market. If you don't dispose of your seeds at the end of the season, they can charge you for stealing their property. You have to buy new seeds every season so that they keep making money. If you don't, you're out of business. They pretty much ruin anyone who tries to game the system.
I'm pretty sure they genetically modified the seeds so that they would die at the end of a season or two, and not be able to be planted. I'm pretty sure they took it to a whole new level. Either way, I hope this does at least a little damage to them.
They are modified to be sterile. But you have to plant what you buy. You have to buy new each year. So all the extra seeds you might have bought are useless if you don't plant them for that growing season.

irishladdie727

Mar 20, 2011
Not every hacker is affiliated with "Anonymous". Lulzsec is not affilitated with "Anonymous" "officially" but rather sort of a splinter group. And "Anonymous" is not an official organization with any sort of centralized leadership. It actually originated as how 4chan users referred to themselves because you could post "anonymously", and each user's post would appear as "Anonymous1, 2 , 3, 4, 76980129, etc.". "Anonymous" is just the collective umbrella under which multiple groups of cyber-activists (and cyber criminals) have all decided to define themselves. Its members do not have a unified agenda, because Anonymous does not have official membership. It is not an "organization" that actually exists. People need to wake the fuck up and realize that whenever something is attributed to "Anonymous", the people involved are most likely not the same people involved as in the last incident involving "Anonymous". The FBI can't take down Anonymous, corporations can't sue Anonymous, because it's just a name. Anyone who wants to can be "Anonymous". Who's going to dispute you?

All this said, it doesn't matter who took down the site, I like their style. Fuck Monsanto and all the other fascist corporations like them.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Even though Monsanto is a piece of bullshit, I still don't agree with LuLzSec's hacking. Like I said in my last post; doing this is only giving other people an excuse to hack and invade anyone or any company they think is evil; that means everyone can be a target.

I'm sure there are better ways of taking down the big bad corporation.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
If what I've read of Monsanto here is accurate, props to that particular group of Anonymous and let's hope Monsanto gets the PSN treatment.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Racecarlock said:
(Rant)

Are hackers just schizophrenic or what? They're either wrecking the PSN or taking down the sites of evil corporations. Are you Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader, because you can't be fucking both. I'd prefer it if they chose Luke Skywalker.
That's...kind of the point.

Think of Anonymous as a cell that multiplies and divides itself. The original cell has a set of ideals, then the rest get ideas of their own and execute them as they wish. They are called "splinter groups".

The whole point of Anonymous is that they are Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. Anonymous is anyone. Republican or Democrat, Tory or Labour, Black or White, Furries or...whatever the opposite of a furry is.
That totally sounds like something an Anonymous member would say.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
cjbos81 said:
This will accomplish absolutely nothing.

When will you internet people learn? Just because you temporarily shut down someone's website doesn't mean anything in the real world.

You've done NOTHING!!!
Echo136 said:
In my opinion, taking down their website will do nothing. Monsanto didnt get as powerful as they are because of a website.
Take a good look at this thread. Roughly half the posts are people asking who/what Monsanto are and why they should care, and the other half (ok, a bit less since there's posts like yours and mine) are people explaining exactly why they should care, why they need to care. That's what Anonymous has done with this, they've raised awareness of Monsanto's shitty behaviour. People who previously had no opinion either way are now getting angry at this, and while it may be a statistically insignificant number of people, it's still more than there were a few days ago, and is one more tiny step to stopping this kind of behaviour. It might not be much, but a lot of "not much" can eventually add up to a whole lot.

panthrjd

Nov 4, 2007
So, to sort of take the side of Monsanto for a moment...

How does a company that is in the business of selling "specialized" seeds stay in business if it's simply "One and done", allowing farmers to replant their crops without needing to go back to the parent company for seeds? If you don't have a returning consumer base, you don't have a business.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
This is good to see. I'm with Extra Credits on the whole Anonymous deal, that's all I'll say on that matter.
As for them bringing the site down, it won't harm the company but now the question is what will they do next? If they redirected you to a website detailing what is wrong with Monsanto's dealings or something, or if they specifically say that in the upcoming "press release" then I'd say this was worthwhile. What they want, is publicity, to draw attention to the company. It's the same logic as a protest. The company is just inconvenienced slightly, but just right here on Escapist you see a lot of people only now learning about Monsanto, thanks to Anonymous.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
While I respect the fact that these guys are monsters that need to be taken down, it still really bugs me that kids have this amount of power.

Pompey71

May 31, 2009
I've never heard of this Monsanto company... but by any chance is their CEO Lex Luthor?