RAM: A Little More Carrot, A Lot Less Stick

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
NewClassic said:
TheNamlessGuy said:
How do they see which posts are reported and stuff?
Do they get PMs?
Is there a super secret Admin panel? (Like in User Groups)

And if I hit the report button more than once, does that count as 2 reports or one big one?
There's something called a 'Moderation Queue", which I believe works a bit like the Hot Threads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/hot] forum. Any post that gets reported enough appears on it, and it sends them directly to the thread, or post, in question.

As far as PMs, they don't get any unless they're actually sent by users. Which happens a lot, depending on the user in question. When in doubt, feel free to PM a mod. They're never angry to get PMs.

I don't actually know if there's a secret admin panel, but I have the feeling Kross, Virgil, etc. have access to something like that. Whether it has a UI or not, though, I don't know. Maybe?

If one user hits a report button more than once, nothing happens. Only one report goes through.
Yes, there's a super secret admin panel, but it's more of an entirely separate site. The back end of the site system is a custom built administration site that most of the staff uses. Virgil was among the few that programmed the entire thing, and it's quite impressive.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Kuliani said:
Yes, there's a super secret admin panel, but it's more of an entirely separate site. The back end of the site system is a custom built administration site that most of the staff uses. Virgil was among the few that programmed the entire thing, and it's quite impressive.
So its like the Bat-cave?

.... I am so jealous right now.

OT: No body knows how generous and understanding the mods are more than me. Seriously, they've been more than just nice to me personally.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've never had to deal with the mods aside from reporting people once or twice, but I respect what they've done to keep trolls out. I try not to get on their nerves due to both the neo badge and because I like this site. And you're right; we shouldn't act up because it's just more work for them.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Diagonal Horizontality said:
Have a kitten and a pleasant day.
[/center][/QUOTE]
That looks strangely enough like my IRL kitten. O.O

Also, incoming possible sticky.​

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
Khitten said:
Oh, so we are not going to mention how this forum has some of the most inconsistent moderators found anywhere on the net huh?
How originality has been squashed in favour of mindless repeat threads and "silly" threads that will get a user suspended are perfectly okay when a mod posts a fucking pony thread. Not to mention most of the interesting users with different opinions have been banned for "having a bad attitude" even if they do not flame or break any rules.
Against my better judgment I'll try to explain some things to you and others who might be doubting how moderation works in easy to read bullet points.

1). Moderators do not troll the forums looking for trouble, there are 15,000+ posts daily on this site, no one in their right mind is going to sift through all of them looking for troublemakers. If you get put on probation it's because enough USERS thought your posts were offensive/annoying/aggressive. I want to reiterate: USERS, not moderators are the reason you have been banned/probated/warned.

Or how about random thread closures with no explanation like Khell_Sennets thread that was not only closed with no reason but also ended with a insult to the original poster and as far as I can see his thread on that subject has also been deleted.
2). You should invest in tinfoil.

Or hey, how any slight against any minority is ban worthy (which is fine) but the "I hate fatties club" threads from little while ago was perfectly okay. In fact we had fucking moderators posting in that thread. Thats right, they had no problem with a fat people hating thread yet if someone else did it to any ethnic minority or religious group of sexual preference then it would not have lasted a single page.
3). See 1. We can't be everywhere, if there's something you find offensive then report it. This is a little like saying yelling at your mom for letting the soup get burned when you watched the pot boil over.

4). Your bans: You attacked a staff member, you attacked someone for liking Heavy Rain then you called another user a stupid whining fanboy for liking it. You accused another user of stalking you after you "handed his ass to him" on another thread, and then you called me (and the other moderators)"Utter fucking douchebags." You'll excuse me if I am not rushing out to inscribe your moderation advice on stone tablets.

So to those mods on here that do a good job. You very few do have my thanks. But you are dragged down by the power tripping fools among you. So do the mod teams in general deserve such mindless praise? No, not at all. Most of them do a okay job but nothing special. If you really want praise, earn it.
5. None of us want the praise, maybe a kind word from time to time. Unlike other forums we have a lot of oversight, if we fuck up we get dinged just like you. Your moderator actions represent your behavior as seen by other users on this site. Our performance is evaluated by the number of times we don't fuck up. That means we nearly always err on the side of caution.

Oh and feel free to suspend/ban me for this. I honestly do not care and am truly sickened by the stupidity and posturing of this site.
We're not going to ban you for having an opinion. Just, in the future, please don't hijack someone's thread to say it. PM is always an option and I always have time to discuss moderation with users.