Rambo The Video Game Unleashes the Best Trailer Yet

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rambo The Video Game Unleashes the Best Trailer Yet

The new Rambo: The Video Game "Machine of War" trailer is nothing short of spectacular.

War machines are a dime a dozen. But a Machine of War? There can be only one: Rambo! A man who's killed dozens! And by "dozens," we mean thousands! Because once they switched the machine on, they didn't know how to turn it off! Because you don't just turn it off! It wasn't his war. They asked him, he didn't ask them! And he did what he had to do to win - but somebody wouldn't let him win! Back there he could fly a gunship, he could drive a tank, he was in charge of million-dollar equipment - but now he's stuck in this terrible videogame!

Okay, maybe that's not fair. There's no way to declare Rambo The Video Game "terrible" at this point because it's not even released yet, but this trailer does come awfully close to parody, like the sort of thing that might appear on a television set in the background of GTA or Max Payne. That doesn't necessarily mean a bad game - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Bulletstorm are two titles that did well for themselves by going way over the top - but I get the feeling that Rambo isn't aiming for that kind of vibe.

Either way, I'm loving these trailers. Pre-last-gen production values, ridiculous violence, and did you see how he used a grenade launcher on a couple of guys who were like four feet away? That takes stones, man - Rambo stones! It is pretty cool how they got a narrator who sounds like Richard Crenna, though - or am I just imagining that?

There's still no release date, but here's more exciting news: If you preorder now, you'll also get a hand-painted, "truely collectable" limited edition Rambo figurine [http://www.rambothevideogame.com/#!pre-order/c1air]! The offer seems to be good only in Europe, but interested North Americans can import from the U.K. - and who wouldn't be interested in having one of these on their shelf, right next to the Duke Nukem Forever bust? That's "collectable," baby.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
My favorite part about this trailer is that is told me absolutely NOTHING about the game.

Is it a third person shooter? A first person shooter?

Is it open world?

Is it completely linear?

Why exactly should I even be paying attention to this?

There is SO much mystery behind it, I think I'll honestly follow the games production just to see what it all ends to.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Considering the previous games of the developer and publisher sit solidly in the shovelware department, the quality of the graphics doesn't surprise me. I just wonder how on earth they managed to score such a recognisable brand?!?

EDIT: Also you guys totally need to do a review of this, even if it's a spoof one (or at least an Unskippable)

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Geezes, the audio balancing on that trailer is right up there with Deadly Premonition. What do you guys think? 2014's Ride to Hell: Retribution?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
AnthrSolidSnake said:
My favorite part about this trailer is that is told me absolutely NOTHING about the game.

Is it open world?

Is it completely linear?

There is SO much mystery behind it, I think I'll honestly follow the games production just to see what it all ends to.
Pft, what's the part of an ad that tells you anything about the product.

It's like movie ads. They are all "this guy is in it", cuts to writing on black backgrounds, and increasingly fast uts towards the end of the ad with loud pointless sounds.

If you knew what the movie was about, you'd probably stop caring most of the time.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Little late for the PS2 and xbox consoles aren't we? Jeez, even WWE games have better hair graphics than that!

It looked all kinds of awful, I mean the computer rendering of Rambo look like those pics people make from drawn kids pictures.

How, with the new gen of consoles, can you even think of releasing that? What runs through your head to make you think that is a good idea, "well, destiny looks amazing, watch dogs does as well ... yeah, our game looks just as good! Not only in terms of graphics but gameplay!".

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
it looks so terrible i actually want to play it. i mean, i don't want to buy it for more than £2 so imma wait for a steam sale, but still!

captcha: awesome dude! yes, it will be

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Spoiler alert: Vietnam wins.

I love how awkwardly he holds his rifle.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I've always been a big fan of the movies but this looks horrible, in a laughably bad way! So perhaps it will achieve so bad it's good status? Something that works in movies but games haven't achieved.

What's ironic though is while Rambo is kind of the poster boy for 80's American action flick, where the hero guns down scores of armed men who in return couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, Rambo... actually doesn't do that. Well there's that one scene in Rambo 2 where the freaked out officer with with a handgun can't hit Rambo from a distance while he calmly draws his bow, but if you actually pay attention to the movies as a whole Rambo consistently uses guile, stealth, and cover to defeat his opposition. Honestly if you look at everything objectively he's one of the most believable action hero's out there. Though I guess one handing machine guns that are meant to be fired from a tri pod while shirtless in iconic scenes really hurt his image here, haha.

He's much more Adam Jensen than Serious Sam, the latter which judging by some of the FPS gameplay cuts is what this game seems to be going for.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Didn't their last trailer/teaser feature a bug where one of the helicopters clips through the ground? Or am I confusing that with something else. I don't think I am... Either way I can potentially see this as a so bad its good game...

See about 1:14 for the Helicopter Physics defiance

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
rhizhim said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:

Is it open world?

Is it completely linear?

there is no place for logic when you are that manly!

its rambo.

BLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
http://www.badgirlzwrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rambo.gif
Very offtopic but that pinky isnt manly at all

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Didn't their last trailer/teaser feature a bug where one of the helicopters clips through the ground? Or am I confusing that with something else. I don't think I am... Either way I can potentially see this as a so bad its good game...

Jesus Christ! It's so obvious. Like, I can understand maybe a small quarter-second clip because it's raw, but it's clipping a third of the helicopter through the last scene.

Why do I have the feeling that the game producers think that everybody is enjoying these because they're psyched for the game and not because it is so obviously atrocious?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The Gentleman said:
amaranth_dru said:

Jesus Christ! It's so obvious. Like, I can understand maybe a small quarter-second clip because it's raw, but it's clipping a third of the helicopter through the last scene.

Why do I have the feeling that the game producers think that everybody is enjoying these because they're psyched for the game and not because it is so obviously atrocious?
Self-awareness and self-reflection are probably two of the least honest traits in almost every human being. Seriously there are so many people who lie to themselves about their own greatness (or lack thereof) and are completely willfully ignorant of it. And I'm saying this from experience. Sometimes you want to believe in something so much that you ignore what is plain as day for everyone else around you to see.
That being said its a wonder they STILL have that clip (totally pun intended) up on YouTube.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
A preorder bonus offer at the end, why am I not surprised to see that on both videos?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
An apparently first-person game that shows most of the more interesting events happening in third-person is kind of a warning sign right off the bat.

I mean, it's hardly the only warning sign...