Rampage Movie Snatches a Director

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rampage Movie Snatches a Director

Hollywood hopes that the 1986 arcade classic can become the next Independence Day.

Say what you will about the eventual smattering of latter day sequels, but the original 1986 arcade game, Rampage was old-school brawling at its purist. There wasn't much narrative of which to speak--just a whole lot of jamming on the A button to punch things--so what film studio New Line sees in there worthy of a feature film is beyond me. Still, it seems my personal confusion has done little to stop it from hiring on Ryan Engle (director of the short film On a Clear Day and---oh, that's it) to helm a big screen version of George the Giant Mutant Gorilla's saga of destruction.

For those of who you don't remember, Rampage starred three monsters: King Kong George, Godzilla Lizzie, and a giant wolf creature named Ralph stomping around after witless pedestrians, nomming on their heads, and swatting away their puny, puny war helicopters. There was also the picture of a newspaper article thrown in there at some point, pointing to some amoral sciencey organization that created them.

With this lush narrative landscape as a foundation, producer John Rickard is hoping to develop the upcoming Rampage film into what he would consider a franchise similar to Independence Day, but with potentially significant merchandising tie-ins. A shoot-date or writer has yet to be announced.

Come to think of it, I suppose there is one possible direction I could see this film taking. So, let's see, we have two boys and one girl, all of whom are at some point shown in their underpants. Perhaps we're being set up for some sort of Hulk-ified tweenage romance? For now, it's impossible to say, but if we're subjected to waves of Team George and Team Ralph merchandise in the near future, know that you heard it here first, people.

Souce: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052121]

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Look at it this way Mike: One less franchise for Micheal Bay to get his hands on.
captcha: mum's the word. How fitting
DON'T GIVE HIM IDEAS!!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yes. Pure yes.

This is what my life needs right now. This is the movie that Hollywood could make that would actually make me justify spending $30+ for a trip to the movie theaters when my last trip was to see The Dark Knight and I can't remember what the movie before that was.

/sarcasm

Captcha: "The Home Depot - Describe this brand with any word(s)"
Response: "gaaaaaaaaaaaay buttsecks".

Seriously, a Captcha that essentially says "Type something"? Doesn't...doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? Oh well, I guess it's better than getting a 6 possibility multiple choice question about cars that inspired acts for cirque de sole...>.>

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Less plot, more wanton destruction. As long as they keep with the theme, this will be great! ...Sadly, they will not keep with the theme.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I want to know, Show of hands, who actually WANTS to see this?

The screwed up part of this, is it really wont be able to be titled simply Rampage because Ewe Boll already took that name and its NOT a film about video games, and it doesnt entirely suck ass either.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A franchise similar to Independence Day? Wasn't Independence Day was just one crappy movie though wasn't it?! What kind of goal is that?! Well I look forward to either hearing about this movie not being made or, watching this movie crash and burn from the moment production stills are taken. The story of Rampage is new soda causes mutations and those newly mutated people turn into Kaiju and destroy towns and cities of varying significance and, size until they get shot enough to turn back into people (naked people). I look forward to seeing that get ruined!

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
T'would actually be quite "special" if they did make a 90 minute film, filled with nothing but senseless destruction -- no plot, no character development, no characters as such, no explanations. At the end the monsters just leave, without a trace and two people stand among the rubble -- last and possibly only line in the film: "WTF just happened?"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Somebloke said:
T'would actually be quite "special" if they did make a 90 minute film, filled with nothing but senseless destruction -- no plot, no character development, no characters as such, no explanations. At the end the monsters just leave, without a trace and two people stand among the rubble -- last and possibly only line in the film: "WTF just happened?"
i'd go see that, and i expect it'd be awesome

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Okay, so I'm thinking, we have the rights to this old giant-monster-trashes-cities game, right? And so I'm thinking, here's what we do- it's like Cloverfield!"

"It's like Cloverfield, except...?"

"No 'except'! It's like Cloverfield! That movie made a mint and it only had one monster! With three monsters, we could make THREE mints!"

"BRILLIANT!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
A franchise similar to Independence Day? Wasn't Independence Day was just one crappy movie though wasn't it?! What kind of goal is that?!
That was my thought. There was...A movie...A video game...And...Was there anything else at all?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It'll be a crappy Godzilla knock-off that focuses on the human characters and their melodramatic love-triangle

Or, it'll be a Cloverfield knock off with the handheld camera and such.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
TechTim said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Look at it this way Mike: One less franchise for Micheal Bay to get his hands on.
captcha: mum's the word. How fitting
DON'T GIVE HIM IDEAS!!
Frankly, this is the kind of thing Bay should be doing. There's no need for a plot or characterization or anything, just mindless destruction with the Army eventually winning out and explosions out the ass.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
A franchise similar to Independence Day? Wasn't Independence Day was just one crappy movie though wasn't it?! What kind of goal is that?!
Independence is considered a classic by no small number of people, and like it or not, it's got the continued popularity and sales figured to back it up.

Aspiring to be similar to a movie that has pulled in over $800 million to date is hardly is a fairy decent goal.

Also, to end this I was going to inquire on your age, figuring you were either too old to care or too young and missed it, as every male in my age group I can think of remembers the movie with some level of fondness, it's pretty much the standard. But, your profile puts you at a mere 15 days younger than me, so I'm baffled as to why you should need any of that explained to you. Not liking it is fine, that's your business, but I find it unlikely anyone anywhere near that age could be unfamiliar with how popular that movie was/is, especially in America.

Anyways, "similar to Independence Day" doesn't really mean much one way or the other. I remember back when Skyline was upcoming, and "similar to Independence Day" might as well have been the tagline. If only it didn't suck so much...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Jadak said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
-snip-
It had great marketing and l saw it in theaters as a kid. Hell, the local news simulated an Alien attack but I remember it fizzling the same way that Godzilla did. The movie sold seats yes but it was just that: a movie that got a tie-in Playstation game and a sequel that's been stuck in development Hell for years now. That alone could constitute a franchise but it still seems like a really weak goal to set in my opinion.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
You used a pic from the NES port. Shame.

Though, I guess at least you didn't use the Atari 2600 port...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I remember playing Rampage World Tour for the PS1. That game was fun.

Kinda weird how they're making a movie out of this. But hey, I'm not going to say anything about it until I see trailers.