Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I starting to see why people hate the authority so much, seriosuly what the hell? This is getting out of hand now which the media SHOULD NOT be ignoring! Isn't there some cocky reporting risking their lived to spread the truth?

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
Aris Khandr said:
It appears that certain parts of the United States are tired of only helping Israel oppress people, and have decided to get in on the action fully. And just like the Israeli apologists, the Police Chief says that they have "demonstrated a remarkable amount of restraint" [https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/499763618146050049]. If that's restraint, I'd hate to see what they consider appropriate repercussions are. Oh, wait, I already know. I'd just have to look at Gaza...
No, this isn't about Israel anymore. You need to get your shit straight at home before you can do anything about whats happening in some shit hole in the middle east. In fact, the only reason you are talking about Israel doing anything is because you want to feel good about yourself. If you really want to do something good, stop talking about Israel and go do something about the shit in your backyard.

OT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the reason that the founding fathers wanted you to have weapons? to protect yourself from an oppressive government? I believe that there is something in the US constitution about the duty of a citizen to overthrow the tyrannical government?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Yeah I starting to see why people hate the authority so much, seriosuly what the hell? This is getting out of hand now which the media SHOULD NOT be ignoring! Isn't there some cocky reporting risking their lived to spread the truth?
Check the OP again, it has an article [http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-ferguson-washington-post-reporter-wesley-lowery-gives-account-of-his-arrest/2014/08/13/0fe25c0e-2359-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html] about it, hell even with a cocky reporter. It's not being ignored, news agencies are just being hampered big time.
forgo911 said:
OT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the reason that the founding fathers wanted you to have weapons? to protect yourself from an oppressive government? I believe that there is something in the US constitution about the duty of a citizen to overthrow the tyrannical government?
Oh it's fine and dandy when white people do that [http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2014/04/23/nevada-showdown/], but the moment you'd see an armed black militia walk up to one of those protests, shit's gonna get down something fierce.

Yeah, guns aren't exactly the way. We need dialogue and law enforcement actually being involved with the local community.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Vegosiux said:
Vareoth said:
If I were living in Missouri I'd be a bit fucking concerned right now about how those who should "serve and Protect" are acting here.

A good and strong reaction from the higher levels of government would be the firing of the entire Ferguson PD, together with the higher-ups at the St. Louis PD. Not that this would ever happen. But I'm just angry right now. Try me again in a few days and I might have a more fitting reaction.
Post #47 a little higher up suggests it already did, actually. So, maybe all is not lost.
Hmm, that would be nice. But it could just be a temporarily relief from duty for the department.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
forgo911 said:
No, this isn't about Israel anymore. You need to get your shit straight at home before you can do anything about whats happening in some shit hole in the middle east. In fact, the only reason you are talking about Israel doing anything is because you want to feel good about yourself. If you really want to do something good, stop talking about Israel and go do something about the shit in your backyard.
Nice that you seem to know all about me. Except for the fact that I am an immigrant from the Middle East, and thus that "shit hole" is actually VERY relevant to me. But hey, keep up with the assumptions.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Jedamethis said:
I've been wondering what on earth Obama is going to do when he hears, now my thoughts are why hasn't he heard already? What the hell is going on?
He had heard about it. Earlier today, he talked about his feelings on the matter. Here is a post explaining what he said, and what he plans to do. He apparently is getting the FBI to do an investigation on the poor kid who got shot. Of course, the fbi is doing an investigation on the incident in general. Obama stated "There is never an excuse for violence against police or for those who would use this tragedy as a cover for vandalism and looting". As well as "There's also no excuse for police to use excessive force against peaceful protests or to throw protesters in jail for lawfully exercising their First Amendment rights."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/obama-ferguson_n_5678593.html

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Jedamethis said:
I've been wondering what on earth Obama is going to do when he hears, now my thoughts are why hasn't he heard already? What the hell is going on?
He's on vacation, he apparently got briefed on the situation yesterday and again this morning and made a statement earlier today. Basically he called for piece and transparency in the police investigation (the kind of transparency you obviously DON'T get with a media black out) and said he asked the FBI to do an investigation into the circumstances of the shooting. Which is good because I saw one news reporter tweet that they interviewed the key witnesses to the murder that started all this- while the police HAD NOT interviewed these witnesses yet 4 days on from the shooting. Apparently Obama also made a comment saying violence against the police is never justified, but no police have been harmed in these protests.

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
Friv said:
forgo911 said:
Allow me to summarize. [http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/14muzr/2nd-amendment-manners-do-s-and-don-ts]
As much as I would love to watch the video, I can't watch it due to living in canada

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like many posters are missing the point.

This all began when a WHITE POLICE OFFICER SHOT AN UNARMED BLACK TEENAGER IN THE BACK. Or the front while his hands were in the air depending on your story.

Even if you believe the bullshit that the two black teenagers were being aggressive towards the officer (Spoiler alert! It's bullshit) that is still NO EXCUSE for a cop to EVER shoot a unarmed, defenseless, FLEEING, person in the back.

Of course, if you believe the credible eyewitness accounts the situation becomes infinitely more disgusting.

And this isn't even an isolated incident in this town! Let's forget about the weekly accounts of police brutality and murder that occur over the whole country! The vast majority of which are against PoC!

Post racial america my ass.

To be perfectly honest, I have no sympathy for these military police. Their brutal "mishandling" of the situation has been loathsome.

Fuck this country. And fuck the police.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
dragonswarrior said:
I feel like many posters are missing the point.

This all began when a WHITE POLICE OFFICER SHOT AN UNARMED BLACK TEENAGER IN THE BACK. Or the front while his hands were in the air depending on your story.
Actually, I'd say just focusing on that and just looking at the racial dimension is missing the even larger point. That larger point being that US police forces have, on a wide scale, forgotten that successful law enforcement requires you to be involved and work with the local community, be a part of that community so that they know what's going on. If you want to find out what problems are a-brewin' you need to know what the word on the street is. Hell even The Wire tried to tell us that a decade ago.

Sep 24, 2008
As someone who has learned to fear cops all of his life, this is a new level.

I don't know if any of you know of Eric Garner. *Warning* Link will take you to a probably NSFW picture of the last moment's of this man's life as he's shown in the choke hold that would end his life. Link [http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-involved-eric-garner-confrontation-asked-target-illegal-cigarette-sales-bratton-article-1.1901612]

A few of you state that the protesters are illegal. I can't speak for that. I don't know what makes a protest legal or illegal here any more. If any of you can cite facts on why this was illegal, then I'll comment on that.

However, the tactics of police officers are getting out of hand. I used to believe Police officers, I don't now. This year alone, thanks to people leaking tapes we've seen Time and time again that some cops (not all) lie openly about interactions with the citizens and take them to jail on their say so. Then everyone believes them because they are cops.

Thank whatever you believe in for Recordings. They may save your life

WARNING. The following shows extreme violence and uncalled for treatment by the Police upon individuals. Please do not view if you are in mix company, at work, or if you are sensitive to such things.

On February 25, Police stopped, detained, and then beat a Mr. Jeter in his car. His hands were shown to be completely up and on the windshield while the beating took place. The police officers continually state "Why are you trying to take my gun" [http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/police-dash-cam-video-exonerates-nj-man-implicates-cops-article-1.1701763]

On April 25 of this year, Nassau Police stopped and beat a young man for doing something they obviously do not like. A police officer's duty is to restrain if someone is doing a criminal act, not ram his knee into the boy's face so much that his eyes are pooled with blood [http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06/li-man-suing-nassau-county-police-over-beating-da-looking-into-incident/]

WARNING. If you watch this next link, you will literally be watching the last moments of a man's life. If you can not stomach that, do not click
On February 15 of this year, after responding to a call from a Security Guard that a mother slapped her daughter, police arrived at a movie theater. The husband of the wife tried to dissuade any action being put against his wife, and the husband was taken down for his efforts. At least two full grown men sat on his man's back while one held his head down. The Husband would never get back up again. [http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/justice/oklahoma-arrest-death-video/]

WARNING. If you watch this next link, you will literally be watching the last moments of a man's life. If you can not stomach that, do not click
In 2009, what seems to be a SWAT unit is dispatched to talk to a Schizophrenic... for illegally camping. The police were there to remove him from the park. He seems to comply to with commands, walking off of the hill. The police officers then throw a flashbang, release a dog, shoot him with their assault rifles, shoot them with a bean bag, and release the dog again. The reason why I add this is that just now in 2014... Five years after the incident, The New Mexico Justice Department are reviewing their policies. [http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/justice/albuquerque-police-brutality-report/]

July 1st of this year, A California Highway Patrol officer mounts a black woman and punches her repeatedly in the face. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/12/marlene-pinnock-beating-video_n_5580230.html?utm_hp_ref=police-brutality]

This year, An officer is trying to appeal disciplinary action for a 2012 incident where the major crime is that... The inmate was trying to address the judge in a calm manner. The officer taps the inmate on the shoulder while he was trying to calmly object. The inmate looks at the officer and turns back to finish his objection. A second later, the cop slams him into the window and drags him to the door. He clearly yells "don't you turn your back on me!" [http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25137395/denver-deputy-appeal-discipline-slamming-handcuffed-inmate]

In 2013, a cop takes and manhandles a woman who was not moving quick enough for his liking. Scared and frantic, she yells to demand why this was happening. He then punches her in the head, puts his hand over her mouth, and threatens to kill her because 'no one would care'. And he goes on to state 'you and your family will be dead'. The Lawsuit was filed May of this Year [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/chicago-police-brutality_n_5355597.html?utm_hp_ref=police-brutality]

In April of this year, a sheriff takes it upon himself to strangle a non resisting college student in Tennessee, who was already calmly being restrained and put into handcuffs by two other officers. The man loses consciousness and blacks out. The officer was fired after the Police station saw the picture in a British Newspaper [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/frank-phillips-police-brutality_n_5227769.html?utm_hp_ref=police-brutality]

If you have patience, Youtube is rife with these stories.

From a Cop pistol whipping a teen and then making up a story that he was defending himself from an assaulting suspect resisting arrest [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvrE7aFWd4], to a Son of a cop calling his dad for help over his friend being arrested then being punched himself by a cop... only to have the cop say 'the youth was being aggressive [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDZlkWt5mg], to a noble cop beating up an old man... FOR COMPLYING WITH THE POLICE'S ORDER [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alC9LhrYwC0]. Even the partner of that last cop was trying to stop what was happening to the old man.

I've literally been gathering... oh, I don't know, dozens of more incidents since I saw the Eric Garner case. I stopped at eleven because I simply am getting depressed.

But I'm also getting angry. Not just as a black man, but as someone who feels helpless. You are not allowed to do anything. If a police beats you unfairly, you must restrain your instincts as a sentient being and allow yourself to be brutalized because even if you didn't throw the first punch, any strike on an officer is punishable with incarceration. Don't believe me? A child was arrested and will be charged with a Felony of Assaulting a Police Officer for hitting the cop with a snowball [https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140223/15564526324/with-great-power-comes-thinnest-skin-13-year-old-hit-with-felony-charges-after-throwing-snowball-cop.shtml]

A thirteen year old boy. Was arrested. for a snowball.

The Police are out of control. We have no legal recourse against them. The Police protect themselves. Anything that happens, their eternal review board will look at the evidence and say it was a good shoot or action 8 times out of 10.

I'm God Damn Angry.

Police officers are supposed to enforce the law. That does not mean striking down people who dare to actually believe as a citizen they are entitled to rights, to have their property sacred (Fourth Amendment. Stop and frisk is illegal if they didn't witness you do a crime and they don't have a subpoena... which they can't get without someone witnessing the crime), and to be able to speak. SPEAK. Annoying a cop isn't a crime. Speaking back to a cop isn't a crime. There was no law ever made that said you have to be docile and complacent when an officer addresses you... but they sure do think that's the case, don't they? And as my spoilered examples show, they have no problem LYING about the real reason that this person is now arrested.

Please. Think about this the next time you think about any bias you have for any group of people in jail. Not everyone is innocent. I guarantee you fucking that. But enough of these examples show that not every cop is innocent either. You don't know. And while they have all the power and are a unified front, we can just not afford to be fractured in making sure every action is just... instead of hand waving it away because it's easier to swallow some censored drek that was pressed released to you.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
forgo911 said:
Aris Khandr said:
It appears that certain parts of the United States are tired of only helping Israel oppress people, and have decided to get in on the action fully. And just like the Israeli apologists, the Police Chief says that they have "demonstrated a remarkable amount of restraint" [https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/499763618146050049]. If that's restraint, I'd hate to see what they consider appropriate repercussions are. Oh, wait, I already know. I'd just have to look at Gaza...
Dude. Not cool.

As shitty and appalling as this whole deal is, it's small time compared to what's going on in Israel. Children are being beheaded and having their heads put on spikes for all to see. It will only take a few drone strikes to clean that mess up, and save thousands of lives in the process. Missouri can stand to have a bit of police brutality if this country can only do one thing at a time.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Ratty said:
Apparently Obama also made a comment saying violence against the police is never justified, but no police have been harmed in these protests.
In all fairness, when you read that comment in its full context, he was speaking generally to both camps at that point.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Signa said:
As shitty and appalling as this whole deal is, it's small time compared to what's going on in Israel. Children are being beheaded and having their heads put on spikes for all to see.
You're mixing up the Hamas-Israel conflict with IS' incursion in Iraq here. Hamas is being very questionable, but at least they're not beheading Yezidist children.

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
Signa said:
forgo911 said:
Aris Khandr said:
Dude. Not cool.

As shitty and appalling as this whole deal is, it's small time compared to what's going on in Israel. Children are being beheaded and having their heads put on spikes for all to see. It will only take a few drone strikes to clean that mess up, and save thousands of lives in the process. Missouri can stand to have a bit of police brutality if this country can only do one thing at a time.
You didn't finish reading the posts on the forum yet have you? Well please read the top of the third page a a response to my comments

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
otakon17 said:
At this point the President needs to send in the National Guard to maintain order in place of the police. It's clear there is a level of corruption going on in the Ferguson Police Force and they need to be over-stepped.
Because the police forces themselves don't look and aren't armed like actual soldiers enough, so hell just send in actual soldiers?

Yeah, no, these cops seem to have little knowledge on community management as it is, I don't see how the National Guard is going to be able to do anything but crack down even harder. What's needed is community management. Police offers are there to protect and serve the public, something they can't do without the actual public. The whole Ferguson situation is an exemplary case of the police having lost all contact with the community they're supposed to serve. There's no dialogue or anything similar going on.

It ain't as much corruption as it is the police having forgotten what they're actually for. Sending in the army is not going to be what'll calm the community down, if anything it's going to make the feeling of oppression and anger in the community worse. There needs to be way more dialogue, more involvement in the community. Law enforcement has to earn back the trust they've lost.
How can they have a dialogue when the cops and the protestors are still fighting each other? Temporarily bringing in the National Guard and dismissing the police seems like the right step to me. The whole situation has gotten away from the police and they look like they are trying to hide their efforts to stomp the community back into submission.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Kmadden2004 said:
Ratty said:
Apparently Obama also made a comment saying violence against the police is never justified, but no police have been harmed in these protests.
In all fairness, when you read that comment in its full context, he was speaking generally to both camps at that point.
Yeah I tried to watch a video of his comments on the matter but it had already been made private. Weird.

Speaking of video I think this deserves reposting outside of a spoiler tag.

Credit to BiscuitTrouser for finding/posting it in the first place.

EDIT: The president's statement. The first half is about the situation in Iraq. He starts talking about Ferguson at 4:39

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Edit:

Bwahahaha look at how Al Jazeera is reporting this:

That's the way to do it.

LostCrusader said:
How can they have a dialogue when the cops and the protestors are still fighting each other? Temporarily bringing in the National Guard and dismissing the police seems like the right step to me. The whole situation has gotten away from the police and they look like they are trying to hide their efforts to stomp the community back into submission.
But what are they going to do? Provide a new target to rage against? What else could the National Guard do than to, well, force the situation into submission as well?

Y'know what I would like to try? Even if just from a scientific standpoint? Just...pull back the cops. Let them protest peacefully, deny them a target to rage against. Because like that one tweet of that veteran, even the presence of riot control can escalate the situation. So take 'em back, I mean hell they're rioting because they're there. So pull 'em back, let them protest, then start up a dialogue with community leaders, have them talk to the community, spread whatever information needs spreading.

Of course if there would still be looting and arson and whatnot after the cops are gone, bigger measures are reasonable to at least return order. But why not try backing off and chilling down for once, instead of calling in even bigger guns.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
forgo911 said:
P.S. This is a topic about what's going on in Ferguson, not what's on in the middle east. If you have something to say about that topic, then go to that post, not this one.
In case you missed it in your overwhelming desire to rant about being reminded of the ongoing genocide in Palestine, I was talking about the events in Ferguson. It just so happens that both Americans and Israelis seem to have decided that murdering oppressed minorities is appropriate now, and I drew the comparison between the two. Cry me a bloody river if that upsets you.