Random game things that confuse you.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So this is a thread about just random things in games that you just can't really wrap your mind around.

For me, one thing I have always been confused about is what happens when the baron in Doom dies.

I mean it looks like you shred his front and he falls backwards, but it also kinda looks like he just collapses in a heap. I just can't really make sense of his death animation aside from not much of him being left. Maybe you blow his head off, and his torso falls forwards and his intestines... gah, I still have no idea and I am way too fixated on trying to figure it out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You may be putting way to much though into a doom game.

So let me have a stab at it....

Sekiro. You die and come back to life, and so do all the mooks who aren't bosses/mini-bosses. But unlike Dark Souls, you aren't undead(and most of the enemies aren't either) and considering you see the cutscenes in Boss Fights every single time you fight them, you aren't coming back over and over again(which you very much are doing in Dark Souls) but rather rewinding. However, you also lose any items you expended during the fight, so it isn't a true Rewind either.

Which doesn't really feel like it really makes sense and the game doesn't bother to explain it.

It's hard to find a reason other then "Well, Dark Souls did it so we need to keep doing it". Same with the damn fog gates, which made sense in Demons Souls but doesn't really have a justification in any of the games that come after.

Also, like 90% of the plot of MGS4. Particularly the whole "War is bad but it's also the economy so world peace is also bad". Yes, I get it's supposed to be a commentary on the military-industrial complex run completely amok but we're also led to believe that even a couple days of peace flat out causes the worlds economy to begin collapsing because they're not making money from blowing stuff up I guess?

Also, everyone retrofitted all their guns with nanomachines so they could be easily hacked and turned off because....somehow that makes sense? I mean, we can't get people to adhere to the geneva convention IRL but damn it, everyone is gonna put chips in their guns to allow them to be remotely disabled as opposed to "Oh, sure, we chipped our guns. Don't mind us. *Snicker*"

A lot of this is because the game posits these big important things that dictate how the world works but then doesn't bother to explain how or why it's like this other then "uh....NANOMACHINES! PATRIOTS!"

Also, Snake and Otocon are supposed to be wanted terrorists but somehow they can fly around in a giant cargo jet with no visible source of income nor explanation for how, you know, nobody ever notices them. Because giant cargo planes are kinda noticable.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, I get it's supposed to be a commentary ont he military industrial complex but we're also led to believe that even a couple days of peace flat out causes the worlds economy to begin collapsing.
Only for Rising to come in and demonize the war economy again, and those who abuse the limits of the law.

In the Takeover, the second half of stage 5 has you killing demons for no reason.Up until this point you were fighting street thugs. It's never explained who they are or why they are on the island. At the end of the stage you fight two werewolves as the end stage bosses. It's really pointless filler to pad the game. After that, it's back to fighting street thugs, along with some new enemies.

Also, there is one thug that has boxing gloves on his side and never uses them. That is such a weird character design for a brawler. And I have played many a strange brawler. Why bring something you're never gonna use?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Baron is such a thicc boi that his body literally tears itself apart under its own weight when you do enough damage.

When games give you a weapon that disintegrates enemies, how does the disintegration know when to stop? Why doesn't the effect continue to the ground they're standing on?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Sekiro. You die and come back to life, and so do all the mooks who aren't bosses/mini-bosses. But unlike Dark Souls, you aren't undead(and most of the enemies aren't either) and considering you see the cutscenes in Boss Fights every single time you fight them, you aren't coming back over and over again(which you very much are doing in Dark Souls) but rather rewinding. However, you also lose any items you expended during the fight, so it isn't a true Rewind either.

Which doesn't really feel like it really makes sense and the game doesn't bother to explain it.

It's hard to find a reason other then "Well, Dark Souls did it so we need to keep doing it". Same with the damn fog gates, which made sense in Demons Souls but doesn't really have a justification in any of the games that come after.
This is the main thing I don't like about Sekiro. The core of Sekiro is a lot similar to Shadow of the Colossus actually (it's all about the mini-boss/boss fights) but it uses design ripped completely out of Souls.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Geralt’s Axii power. Why is it so random when he uses it? Why am I doing fetch quests for the Baron when I should just Axii him? If I’m so worried about Ciri, wouldn’t I just use that all the time?

But then, why do I waste so much time doing so many things in Witcher 3 if my daughter is in trouble?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
But then, why do I waste so much time doing so many things in Witcher 3 if my daughter is in trouble?
Because gamers don't want to be Punished by a time limit for trying to engage in all the content, normally. Especially in a big open world game like Witcher 3.

I stopped really caring too much about the urgency of the main plot when it became obvious that Ciri was always like a week or so ahead of Geralt on her journey. I didn't foresee him making up any ground in that pursuit until the plot demanded it.

Besides, she always seemed to have things relatively under control.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Geralt’s Axii power. Why is it so random when he uses it? Why am I doing fetch quests for the Baron when I should just Axii him? If I’m so worried about Ciri, wouldn’t I just use that all the time?

Also, why is a master Witcher like Geralt always having to start as a scrub every game with basic stats and gear? It’s almost like they have to assume no one has ever played a Witcher game before just for...consistency? But it’s definitely not so to the narrative.

I have to hand wave it all away as Geralt having recurring amnesia and hanging up his gloves each game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
...one thing I have always been confused about is what happens when the baron in Doom dies.
That bit of his spine isn't his neck, it's lower down, probably the middle of the lumbar curve. His upper torso falls back while his legs drop straight down, like the hind legs of a cat/dog doing a sphinx impression. I blame the fact Doom sprites don't have different orientations for dead enemies. That and, unlike the doom marine, there is no sprite for a Baron of Hell's severed upper torso on it's own.

Meanwhile the ending to Project Eden still makes no sense to me. The main villain is a serial kidnapper, mutagenic drug pusher who commits several crimes against nature and humanity, specifically to small children; and the protagonists let them go and wave goodbye. One of the protags was kidnapped and almost had their brain overwritten by this little psycho, but no, let's pack what's left of the villain's brain into a cute little android body and send her on her merry way. You can't even claim they all got their memories overwritten, because that makes the villain waving goodbye make even less sense. I mean what do they tell HQ? "Well sir, she got away... but wook at dat wittle face!"

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I can't think of any in particular at the moment and most things I could think of are just the kinds of things you have to accept for the sake of gameplay.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That bit of his spine isn't his neck, it's lower down, probably the middle of the lumbar curve. His upper torso falls back while his legs drop straight down, like the hind legs of a cat/dog doing a sphinx impression. I blame the fact Doom sprites don't have different orientations for dead enemies. That and, unlike the doom marine, there is no sprite for a Baron of Hell's severed upper torso on it's own.

Meanwhile the ending to Project Eden still makes no sense to me. The main villain is a serial kidnapper, mutagenic drug pusher who commits several crimes against nature and humanity, specifically to small children; and the protagonists let them go and wave goodbye. One of the protags was kidnapped and almost had their brain overwritten by this little psycho, but no, let's pack what's left of the villain's brain into a cute little android body and send her on her merry way. You can't even claim they all got their memories overwritten, because that makes the villain waving goodbye make even less sense. I mean what do they tell HQ? "Well sir, she got away... but wook at dat wittle face!"
That's the thing, I thought about that and it still doesn't make sense for what is happening in the gif. I should really email one of the creators or something since they used models for most of this, there was probably a pic of a mauled baron from other angles some where.

Anime and Batman does that kinda thing too, having their villians just being like super evil but then needing to be not killed. Like to the point where leaving them alive seems less moral then killing them. I wonder if it has to do with the creators just forgetting what they had certain villains do or something.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Well, I don't know about the mooks but Sekiro gets the power of ressurection from his relationship with the divine heir, but the heirs blood is stagnating so thats why when you die sometimes you afflicts others with dragon rot.

Also, everyone retrofitted all their guns with nanomachines so they could be easily hacked and turned off because....somehow that makes sense? I mean, we can't get people to adhere to the geneva convention IRL but damn it, everyone is gonna put chips in their guns to allow them to be remotely disabled as opposed to "Oh, sure, we chipped our guns. Don't mind us. *Snicker*"
I don't know about the lore from the game but having ID locked weapons isn't a bad idea since it means that only you can fire the gun, if someone takes it from you then they can't use it against you. Although, I think the primary utilization would be for police, not a military force, unless they were mercs and the company wanted to make sure they couldn't steal the guns after their contract ended.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The presence of Diana Allers in Mass Effect 3. In the meta sense I’m aware her existence came about because of a deal between EA and IGN to shill Jessica Chobot. But in-game one of her lines is “Wars can be won or lost in the editing room”. Now I’m aware that information control and propaganda is a big part of total war scenarios but.........the Reapers don’t give a fuck. They’re not going to withdraw due to pressure from Reaper hippies back in Dark Space who want to give peace a chance nor are they the ones on the losing side of this war.

I mean if they put a bit more thought into her character being part of the Alliance that controls the information and not some random reporter in a slinky dress it would make sense. As it stands, she’s just taking up space that could be better used by Zaeed or Miranda or hell, even Kelly.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Because gamers don't want to be Punished by a time limit for trying to engage in all the content, normally. Especially in a big open world game like Witcher 3.

I stopped really caring too much about the urgency of the main plot when it became obvious that Ciri was always like a week or so ahead of Geralt on her journey. I didn't foresee him making up any ground in that pursuit until the plot demanded it.

Besides, she always seemed to have things relatively under control.
The urgency thing: I only saw it after so many people complained about Fallout 4 and the urgency they felt in finding Shaun. I kept pointing out Witcher had the exact same problem. But automatically you're wrong if it criticizes TW3 or compare it unfavorably to F4 in one aspect.

I forgot to add that you meet Uma... and you can clearly see he's cursed... but you literally do nothing to investigate him. And that's the complete opposite of how Geralt is shown for the rest of the game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Since we're talking about TW3, and also since it's the latest game I've played, what the fuck is the fall damage in the game? And more importantly, why didn't they ever do anything about it? Especially since Geralt isn't exactly the best feeling to move around. I mean, they could have even worked in a cool mechanic where Geralt uses the Heliotrop sign to cushion himself from the fall.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Since we're talking about TW3, and also since it's the latest game I've played, what the fuck is the fall damage in the game? And more importantly, why didn't they ever do anything about it? Especially since Geralt isn't exactly the best feeling to move around. I mean, they could have even worked in a cool mechanic where Geralt uses the Heliotrop sign to cushion himself from the fall.
It because gravity is a *****

Reactions: BrawlMan