Rank the Avengers movies

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I haven't seen Iron Man 3, Thor 2: The Dark World or Captain America 2: The Winter Solider but I have seen to the other films and i'd have to rank them like this:

Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
The Incredible Hulk
Thor

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Eamar said:
I'm sorry to butt in, but are you seriously complaining about historical accuracy in a Marvel movie? You do realise that the Marvel Universe is basically an alternate reality, right? It's supposed to appear similar to our world, but it's by no means the same.
I was responding to someone who thought the movie was great because nazis were being beaten up.

Like I said though, I would have preferred it to either have some semblenance of realism or an interesting take, like in the comics. Instead we were served some luke-warm simplication of the real deal. The only thing it did was feed the common conscioussness' popular misconception that Allies vs Axis was Good vs Evil. Also, the AU argument doesn't hold much weight when they're basically relying on people's historical knowledge as set-up....

It's just so far removed from any of the quality CA comics and/or WW2 reality.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The Avengers
like everybody else.

Iron Man
had great acting and dialogue.

The Incredible Hulk
finally gave us a Hulk movie with sufficient amounts of smashing.

was an adventure movie the way they should be done.

Iron Man 2
was a decent sequel.

Iron Man 3
was very underrated in my opinion.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
wasn't as good as the first, but constantly entertaining without a single boring moment.

Thor: The Dark World
was a bit dull at times.

Thor
was good, but nothing special.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Out of those I've seen:

Thor
The Avengers
Iron Man
Iron Man 2

Admittedly I have a personal vendetta against Iron Man. I find him incredibly unlikable as a hero, especially in the Avengers. And to be completely honest, I wouldn't say I really like any of them including those I rate highly. So yeah, I a bit biased.

I also admit that those I enjoyed, I enjoyed mostly for their manservice. So that's... that.

On the Avengers, I found the whole thing very cheesy and thrown together. Terrible pacing and structure too. The "lets stand around in this ship for about 50% of the movie talking? Not the best idea in an action movie. And if you want it to be more than an action movie, it might be a good idea to make the main conflict have something to do with the heroes. Besides Loki being there, I mean.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The Avengers
Captain American: The First Avenger
Iron Man
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3
Thor
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

Haven't seen TWS yet, but I will in a couple of weeks when the crowds die down.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
1)The Avengers (I think that's probably everyone's favorite)

2)Captain America 2

3)Captain America

4)Thor

5)Iron Man

6)Thor 2

7)Iron Man 2

8)Iron Man 3

9)The Incredible Hulk (Even though I list this as my least favorite, it wasn't terrible. Not great, but decent.)

Can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
They don't really break down into 1-9.
They break down into tiers.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. The Avengers/Iron Man
3. Thor:The Dark World/Captain America:The First Avenger/Iron Man 3
4. The Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2/Thor

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The Avengers
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Thor The Dark World
Iron Man
Captain America The First Avenger
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (still hoping for a remake here with the new actor from Avengers, can't recall his name)
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
1. The Avengers - chemistry between the characters, especially Hulk and Iron Man, was brilliant. Joss Whedon was the perfect choice to direct this, and I cannot wait to see what he does with the additions of Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, and (maybe) Falcon and War Machine to the team in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - a very different film to its predecessor, and all the better for it (not that The First Avenger was a bad film). Captain America and Black Widow worked as a partnership, as well as Cap and Falcon, and the Winter Soldier, whilst underused in my opinion, was more menacing than any Marvel villain up to this point. Seeing Captain America in a film this good has elevated the character in my eyes, and depending on how Captain America 3 turns out, his films could be my favourites (as a trilogy) out of all the Phase films.

3. Iron Man - the one that started it all. Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant, and his change in character is pretty believable considering the circumstances he's put through. Add to the fact that he plays the billionaire playboy philanthropist convincingly and retains likeability is a feat unto itself. Would be my number 2, but I have over-watched it over the last 5 years.

4. Captain America: The First Avenger - the funniest of the Phase 1 films, and pretty emotional in its climax. The supporting cast of Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Toby Jones and Hayley Atwell helped make this a lot better than it should have been, considering that it, like Thor 2 months before it, were only meant to be introductions for the characters before they joined the Avengers.

5. Iron Man 3 - yes, a LOT of people were annoyed that the Mandarin wasn't actually the villain of the piece, but Ben Kingsley was so great that it was forgiveable...and it also added a lot more to the plot. The twist was a great moment, as was the introduction to Trevor Slattery who I hope we see in Marvel films to come (despite the ending of his One Shot...though that could mean anything).

6. Thor: The Dark World - Malekith should have been focused on a lot more than he was. The introduction to the film makes him out to be fearsome, but he's a pretty weak villain with not much to do after that (whether he was like that in the comics too I don't know). More Loki isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he took the limelight off the main villain when more needed to be explained about him and his race apart from 'They fought the Asgardians once and their toys got taken away'. Great fight scenes, Sif and the Warriors Three played a bigger role (which was much appreciated), and Idris Elba got to be a badass. My least favourite of the Phase 2 films thus far due to the villain, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

7. Iron Man 2 - granted, it wasn't the best of the Marvel films, and didn't really do much apart from develop on the end credits teaser of the first Iron Man, but it was still fun. Like the first Iron Man, though, the final encounter with the main villain was underwhelming and over too quickly. Actually, scrap that, it was over way quicker than Iron man vs Iron Monger...which is odd, considering Ivan Vanko was hit by a car several times and brushed it off quickly. Would have thought a suit of armour would have made him more susceptible to death.

8. The Incredible Hulk - I liked Edward Norton as Bruce Banner...but not as much as Mark Ruffalo. Hulk smashing stuff was fun to watch, and all the hints to the wider universe (Stark Industries, Nick Fury, Super Soldier Serum) was the beginning of something. However, after watching The Avengers, this film was a bit pointless, much like Iron Man 2. Still good (none of the films on this list dip below a 6/10 in my eyes), but didn't do much for the rest of the MCU.

9. Thor - the film that made females start caring about the Marvel films because of...abs. No, seriously, my sister only saw this for Chris Hemsworth, and my girlfriend loves the Thor films because of him (two examples, but it's enough for me to reach a rather flaky point). The story itself was basic 'fish out of water' fare, with the exchange between Thor and the pet shop owner being a personal highlight. The film suffered from its purpose being an introduction to the character, but we got introduced to key players on both sides of the Avengers, as well as a MacGuffin in the end credits that turned out to be pretty important (it's always the Thor films that have the important end-credits scenes, but that's probably due to its links to the rest of the universe). Dark World improved on this film by focusing more on Thor's powers, which this film lacked, as well as making Kat Dennings less annoying. The more I think about it, this film was like the first draft of an essay - it was good, but there were kinks that needed to be ironed out.

Dec 10, 2012
I definitely need to see The Winter Soldier, based on how high it ranks in this thread.

Avengers. Predictable pick, I guess, but I'm still amazed at how well the Marvel continuity experiment worked out.
Iron Man 3. I'm shocked to see how many people put it near the bottom. I loved it, both times I saw it in the theater. Ben Kingsley rules.
Iron Man. Just a great start to this whole Marvel movie effort.
Captain America. It's a solid movie, and does everything a movie about the Cap should.
Thor. Another solid introduction to a core character, and I will admit to a personal bias towards anything Norse.
Thor 2. Not as good as Thor.
The Incredible Hulk. I saw this one late, after all the others actually, and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck. Not great, but not bad at all.
Iron Man 2. I saw it once, and I hardly remember it at all. Nothing offensive about it, but it's last on the list by virtue of being completely forgettable.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Eamar said:
Despite being a massive Marvel fan, I've somehow managed to miss The Incredible Hulk altogether. Otherwise though, I'm a big fan of all the MCU movies minus the Iron Man sequels.
I'd recommend checking it out.
It's an odd one.
Easily the second darkest of them after Winter Soldier.
It's a very different Bruce Banner from the one in the Avengers, but still a great one in a completely different way. He's more the tormented and hunted character that Bruce Banner actually is.

It's weird...back when there were just a handful of these movies I watched them numerous times. I found that I initially LOVED Iron Man and was kinda just okay with The Incredible Hulk, and then over time I liked The Incredible Hulk more and more and Iron Man less.
I think maybe it's because the jokes and wit in Iron Man lose their punch in repeated viewings, while the shit Banner has to put up with is just magnified the more you watch it.

Not sure.

It's EASILY the least crucial movie in the series, but I think it's still worth watching.

-

Also, "The Incredible Hulk" doesn't really negate Ang Lee's "The Hulk". So I sort of regard "The Hulk" as "Movie #0" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, because that's where Hulk's origin story is told.
That said, "The Hulk" is not a good movie.
The only thing I wish they'd carried over from "The Hulk" to "The Incredible Hulk" is Jennifer Connelly....because she's awesome, and COMPLETELY better than Liv Tyler. *shrug*