Rank the Star Wars Films (or not)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I wasn't going to do this originally, because that kind of means that I (or someone else) would have to create an identical thread every single year. Heck, five months from now, I may need to update my rankings again. Still, partly because everyone's got Star Wars on the brain, partly because Last Jedi seems particuarly divisive, I thought, "heck, go for it."

So, on that note:

10) The Clone Wars

"A tale full of sound of fury, told by people who'd go on to make a decent cartoon, but by its own, signifying nothing."

9) Attack of the Clones

"Half of this movie (Obi-Wan) is decent. The other half (Anakin and Padme) is bleh. The finale is meh. Easily the weakest prequel movie."

8) Rogue One

Lacklustre, messy first two acts, followed by a very fun third act, crippled by unnmemorable characters."

7) The Phantom Menace

"Not too bad, not too good, not exactly just right, but I guess a net positive, if only just. Not my favorite Star Wars film, but not bereft of quality."

6) The Last Jedi

"The one that has some brilliant moments, some assinine moments, and moments that I'm not sure which is which."

5) The Force Awakens

"The film that cobbles far too much from A New Hope and never needed to exist, but in fairness, is a relatively decent romp."

4) The Empire Strikes Back

"The film that everyone loves, and while there isn't much to criticize...sorry, this film has never 'clicked' for me."

3) Revenge of the Sith

"The one truly "good" film in the prequels that isn't without its flaws, but ultimately does a lot right ."

2) Return of the Jedi

Has some distinct flaws in certain areas, including a first act that feels segregated from the next two, but what this film does right, it does so right that it elevates the film to the #2 spot."

1) A New Hope

"An absolute classic that has stood the test of time, and IMO, will always do so."

So, that's just me, having fun, not really reviewing per se, but it's where things stand for me right now. And Battle for Endor fits in there somewhere, but it's been so long since I've seen it, it wouldn't seem fair to rank it.

Anyway, agree, disagree, discuss, Dark Side.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
1. New Hope
2. Empire
3. Return
4. Phantom
5. Awakens
6. Revenge
7. Clone Wars
8. Holiday Special
9. Ewoks
10. Ewoks 2

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
1) The Original Trilogy
2) The Phantom Menace
3) The New Movies (Force Awakens > Rogue One > The Last Jedi)
4) The Rest of the Prequels (Whatever)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
1) Empire
2) New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Rogue One
6) The Force Awakens
7) The Phantom Menace
8) Attack of the Clones
9) The Last Jedi (seriously it's not only legitimately bad in everything other then the effects and music but I honestly can't see how they could have intentionally gone out of their way to insult the viewer, holy shit was this a steaming pile how anyone gave it above a 4 is beyond me because the effects and music where not good enough to elevate the rest to being even passable. If I'd made this I'd have been ashamed)

I'm not listing Clone Wars because it just doesn't fit on that type of list.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Shared between Empire Strikes Back and Rogue One
3. A new Hope
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the clones
8. The Holiday Special
9. The Last Jedi

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens

There are no other Star Wars films.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Last Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Attack of the Clones

The thing is the rankings really don't mean much even to me. There isn't much difference between 1&2/3,4,5&6/and 8&9. So basically anyone could switch any of the numbers in each of those groups and I really wouldn't argue.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
1) A New Hope
2) Empire Strikes Back
3) Return of the Jedi
4) The Last Jedi
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) Rogue One
7/8) Attack of the Clones + Phantom Menace
9) Force Awakens.

General thought process: Ranked in order of how excited I would be to watch the films agian. Original trilogy still way better than all the others. The Last Jedi is a solid film, despite its flaws, Revenge was the only "okay" prequel, the other 2 were turds with a few flecks of gold in them. Rogue One bored me, I never really got invested into the characters and ultimately the film never drew me in. Finally; Force Awakens (AKA 'A New New Hope').

Jan 19, 2011
4>7>3>5>>>6>R1>>>>>Manure>>>1>2

4, 7, 3 and 5 are all fantastic films that I would recommend anyone to watch. 6 and R1 are decent; they both have great aspects (R1's last third and Luke's arc in Return of the Jedi), but are let down by periods of poor quality (first third and ewoks).

1 and 2 are awful. They both have great music though. And 1 has Duel of Fates, which puts it above 2.

I'm aware that ranking 3 so high may be blasphemous, but as with all ranked lists, I am simply following my own preference, and not the consensus of the majority.

Warhound

Oct 24, 2017
1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Rogue One
6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Force Awakens
8) The Phantom Menace
9) The Last Jedi

Does the Christmas Special or Ewok movies count? Cause they would be somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
10) Holiday Special
9) Attack of the Clones
8) Phantom Menace
7) Rogue One
6) Return of the Jedi
5) Revenge of the Sith
4) The Last Jedi
3) The Force Awakens
2) A New Hope
1) EMPIRE!!!

Warhound

Oct 24, 2017
It shocks me that a number of people actually put episode 8 so high on their lists.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
7. Attack of the Clones - Has far too much Hayden Christensen to be considered good, and it's far too boring for even the now fun Ewan McGregor to rescue. Still, it's so bad it's kind of fun to go Mystery Science Theatre on it's ass.
6. The Phantom Menace - It's immensely stupid and crap, but the pod racing scene and the Darth Maul fight are alright, and it's also not a bad film to watch with friends to make fun of.
5. The Force Awakens - Adam Driver is great as Kylo Ren, and John Boyega is alright as Finn, but Daisy Ridley's bland performance as Rey, the nakedly stupid plot, and the overly grim tone mean I never want to watch this again.
4. Revenge of the Sith - Still contains too much Hayden Christensen, but he is better in this one. The real saving graces of Revenge are Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid, who really put their all into the material, and together they make this one not halfway bad.
3. Return of the Jedi - The Ewoks are a bit too derpy and the first and second acts barely connect, but it's still plenty enjoyable.
2. The Empire Strikes Back - The best lightsaber duel in the OT, Hoth, Yoda, the Millenium Falcon chase...
1. Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back might technically be better in most respects, but this one is more fun. The spectacle never fails to be exciting, especially the Battle of Yavin.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
See the problem with Ranking the Star Wars films is that of course the Original Trilogy is gonna rank at the top by default with usually Empire being at 1st place. And that the Prequels are a War Crime of Mengela proportions to the most extreme of fans. Infact what I am gonna do is seperate them by era, Original Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy, and Sequel Trilogy.

Original Trilogy: A New Hope > Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi. I think Original Trilogy started strong but kinda went downhill.

Prequel Trilogy: Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones > The Phantom Menace. While the Originals went downward, the Prequels got better with each movie, heck if I had my way I would just eliminate the Phantom Menace and factor the 2003 Clone Wars as the official 2nd movie. So its like this to me, Clone Wars > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones.

Sequel Trilogy: Haven't seen the Last Jedi Yet (planning on going in the weekend) and I am not that fond of Force Awakens but from what I have heard from Last Jedi so far its Force Awakens > Last Jedi.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
I was going to list them, but then I realized it would be the exact same as the order they came out in (minus all post-Lucas films thus far; I haven't bothered with any of them), so... yeah.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. PM
5. TFA
6. ROTS
7. TLJ
8. AOTC

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Warhound said:
It shocks me that a number of people actually put episode 8 so high on their lists.
What's shocking to me is people putting Episode 7 so high on their lists. I love Star Wars. I even gave The Phantom Menace a pass. However, I keep referring to The Force Awakens as a "dumpster fire". I would watch the Christmas special again before The Force Awakens.

The list is forthcoming. Let me give it some thoughts. I would like to see The Last Jedi again before making that list. Right now, I have the new movie in the middle of my rankings.

EDIT: What I have so far with the top 3, starting with the best, are: Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One, and Empire Strikes Back. The bottom two, starting with the worst, are: The Force Awakens and The Phantom Menace.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. The Last Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

MeatMachine