Rant on DOTA 2 and MOBA games in general.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
I play a large number of MOBA type games. DOTA,LoL, HoN, Realm of the Titans. I enjoye them, for the most part.

I got my BETA access to DOTA 2..oh..somewhere around 5 months ago.I'm not a great player. probably not even a good one, but I have my share of good games.
This is what I have to say about it: DOTA is a lot of fun. It is an extremely complicated and entertaining game.

Here's what I don't like about MOBAs: the people who play them. I dunno. It just seems to me that a community of players that has practically accepted the that raging, flaming, and harassment are perfectly normal is...broken.

here are two examples of some MOBA chat: "GG faggots l2p" "Ur ****** noob. uninstall."

My personal favorite was a game I played a few months ago where a Tiny went mid. He did very badly. A invoker on our team started raging. The usual "Ur a fucking feeder ******" went on for about 10 minutes. Then he started telling the poor guy to kill himself.

Keep in mind: this is from DOTA 2 which is in BETA. When the floodgates open up, it's going to be much much worse.

I just don't get it. I don't understand why anyone would act like this. It's sad.

Still..I doubt anything can be done about it. these people are so ingrained in the MOBA games that I don't think much could be reasonably done to root them out.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Verzin said:
Here's what I don't like about MOBAs: the people who play them.
Hey me too! I love LoL but it is one of the most frustrating games to play. My buddy was teaching me how to play one day and on my first game against people I face-checked a bush and immediately got pooped on by the two guys hiding in it.

I didn't know face-checking bushes was a bad thing, hell computers didn't even use bushes. But I got yelled at and reported for it anyway. Sweet great start to the game. I've actually played with friends of friends of mine and they are just as bad, if I miss a skillshot I'm a noob, if I get hit by a skillshot I'm a noob, if I die more than I kill I'm a noob and a feeder and I get reported.

The thing is I'm actually fairly decent at most games and just because I don't live and breath MOBA games doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to play.

And Riot is wondering why most new people don't stick with it...

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
This is why I only play LoL against bots. People who play against AI seem to not be giant cockwranglers.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This has been the staple of MOBA games since the first DoTA. Fucking terrible communities.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Limecake said:
Verzin said:
Here's what I don't like about MOBAs: the people who play them.
Hey me too! I love LoL but it is one of the most frustrating games to play. My buddy was teaching me how to play one day and on my first game against people I face-checked a bush and immediately got pooped on by the two guys hiding in it.

I didn't know face-checking bushes was a bad thing, hell computers didn't even use bushes. But I got yelled at and reported for it anyway. Sweet great start to the game. I've actually played with friends of friends of mine and they are just as bad, if I miss a skillshot I'm a noob, if I get hit by a skillshot I'm a noob, if I die more than I kill I'm a noob and a feeder and I get reported.

The thing is I'm actually fairly decent at most games and just because I don't live and breath MOBA games doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to play.

And Riot is wondering why most new people don't stick with it...
low level games are the worst. I made a low level account to teach a friend how to play. I was shocked by how bad it was. The games there are as hard as they are at 1300 elo ranked, and the amount of rage and harassment is disgusting. I think it's the high elo players who get banned. they make smurfs and ruin the low level games as revenge.

Kitten DeLux

Nov 20, 2009
you can't escape ragers like that in any game
Flame them back it's what i do.
Or you could just ignore them they wont remember who you are the next day.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
And this is why I've never played those games. Multiplayer gaming is a social activity, and if the community is bad, the game is bad. The funny thing is, the ragers are destroying their own game by doing it. If they want a better experience within the game they should be trying to create a more welcoming community.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Fappy said:
This has been the staple of MOBA games since the first DoTA. Fucking terrible communities.
It's getting to the point that the only thing that kept my entire post from being "and airline food, what's up with that?" was the low content rule. Complaining about MOBA communities is officially as dead of a horse as airline food jokes.

OT: Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe the people who complain have just been unlucky, or maybe the free to play nature of modern MOBAs have attracted a crowd who doesn't game online much, and therefore doesn't have the requisite thick skin, but in all the time I've spent playing LoL, I've never seen anything that would be out of the ordinary for any other online community. In fact, the most unusual thing is how /nice/ some of the players are. I mean, all communities have their assholes, but the RTS crowd tends to have an unusually nice population, and as someone who primarily plays FPSs, it's always kind of a shock when I run into an old guard RTS player in a MOBA, because again, they're bloody nice.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I have yet to actually play one of those kinds of games against real people. I never played a LoL-type game before I got a Dota 2 beta key, but I thought I'd give it a try and maybe expand my gaming horizons. Well, I'm absolutely terrible. It's not an intuitive game whatsoever and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything wrong, and it took me about 3 weeks to kill a passive bot.

I'd like to get better and don't really feel like I'm learning anything playing against AI, but there is no way I'm playing a game with people anytime soon.

Seriously though, it's just a video game. I don't think I summon the amount of rage people experience over video games on anything in the world v:

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Sticks and stones. Ignore them.

If I allowed those people to get to me I wouldn't have the deep understanding of Dota I do now.

Here's a guide to people new to Dota: http://www.playdota.com/guides/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Oh, and the only MOBA game is LoL and any other game that calls itself a MOBA.

DotA and Dota 2 are ARTS.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
I have yet to actually play one of those kinds of games against real people. I never played a LoL-type game before I got a Dota 2 beta key, but I thought I'd give it a try and maybe expand my gaming horizons. Well, I'm absolutely terrible. It's not an intuitive game whatsoever and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything wrong, and it took me about 3 weeks to kill a passive bot.

I'd like to get better and don't really feel like I'm learning anything playing against AI, but there is no way I'm playing a game with people anytime soon.

Seriously though, it's just a video game. I don't think I summon the amount of rage people experience over video games on anything in the world v:
I watched a few huides on Youtube which helped me out. I'm only 10 hours into the game but with the right heroes (Lina mainly) I've been able to take out some bots.

Bots seem to be able to fire off ALL their powers in like 0.1 of a second, so I'm wondering if the dreaded "power spam" of 5 bots with infinitely fast calculation time will be better against humans.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
endtherapture said:
Chemical Alia said:

I watched a few huides on Youtube which helped me out. I'm only 10 hours into the game but with the right heroes (Lina mainly) I've been able to take out some bots.
Lol, same here. If it weren't for the couple videos I watched that were essentially tutorials telling me what to do, I would still be figuring out how to get my character to move.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
endtherapture said:
Chemical Alia said:

Bots seem to be able to fire off ALL their powers in like 0.1 of a second, so I'm wondering if the dreaded "power spam" of 5 bots with infinitely fast calculation time will be better against humans.
I haven't played DotA 2 yet (I'm in the beta, but I haven't had the time to devote to a round since I got in), so I'm a bit confused here: are you saying they're able to activate all their abilities in rapid succession, hitting them in about a tenth of a second, when a real person's hand should be slower? Or are you saying there's some sort of cooldown that's supposed to keep you from firing of multiple abilities at once, that doesn't apply to bots? Because if it's the latter, that's bizzare, but if it's the former, it's well within human ability. When I play Master Yi on LoL, I'll fire off three of his four abilities plus one of my summoner spells in right around a tenth of a second, and I'm not even particularly good. (The fourth ability isn't useful inside of combat, otherwise I could hit it in the time frame, too.)

Are you trying to click each ability to activate it, by any chance? Because that will get you killed against humans. You need to learn the hot keys, which fortunately, is a lot easier in a MOBA than it is in a traditional RTS; you've got four buttons for abilities, each of which should have a finger on it at all times, plus a couple of other buttons in easy reach of your thumb. All in all, it's less complicated than FPS controls once you get the hang of it.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I haven't played DotA 2 yet (I'm in the beta, but I haven't had the time to devote to a round since I got in), so I'm a bit confused here: are you saying they're able to activate all their abilities in rapid succession, hitting them in about a tenth of a second, when a real person's hand should be slower?
This. I'm using hotkeys but there's still some manual time that you need to aim abilities and click the buttons and stuff, and bots don't have that restriction.

Windrunner for example can fire off Shackle Shot and her main damage ability and hit perfectly on a human character pretty much INSTANTLY. When there's loads of creeps and stuff around there's the risk of targetting the wrong thing accidentally, especially with something that doesn't target onto a moving target like Windrunner's arrow ability.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
endtherapture said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I haven't played DotA 2 yet (I'm in the beta, but I haven't had the time to devote to a round since I got in), so I'm a bit confused here: are you saying they're able to activate all their abilities in rapid succession, hitting them in about a tenth of a second, when a real person's hand should be slower?
This. I'm using hotkeys but there's still some manual time that you need to aim abilities and click the buttons and stuff, and bots don't have that restriction.

Windrunner for example can fire off Shackle Shot and her main damage ability and hit perfectly on a human character pretty much INSTANTLY. When there's loads of creeps and stuff around there's the risk of targetting the wrong thing accidentally, especially with something that doesn't target onto a moving target like Windrunner's arrow ability.
Huh. That's interesting. I'm guessing they're doing it at range, too, and not just firing it off in desperation knowing they're dead anyway, right? If so, I wonder why Valve would have programmed the AI that way; the whole point of bots in this sort of game is to get a rough idea of what to expect before playing a real game.

Edit: Then again, a steady hand with the mouse can aim quite quickly. Maybe not four abilities in 0.1 seconds quickly, but fast enough to still qualify as an alpha strike.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
I understand why people react like that, MOBA games are team games and its annoying when someone on your team does retarded shit. People also lack patience, I personally try and tell people what they're doing wrong but I usually get flamed for it, so it's hard to even bother being nice. A good player flaming a bad player is kinda acceptable, I don't do it but I don't hold it against others because patience is hard to have on MOBAs. What bothers me is scrubs flaming others, some tramp that overextends, gets fucked by Pudge and blames whoever the fuck is in the proximity. Those players can eat a dick, because if anyone ruins MOBAs it's them. As for the swearing itself, like someone said it's not all that bad, especially if you play other competitive games.

endtherapture said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:

It might be worth looking into the shift key and how you can use it to stack actions, for example you can press shift + teleport scroll, then at the same time press shift + shackle on the person near the tower you're teleporting to, then press shift + powershot on the person after. This will stack these actions so immediately after teleporting you shackle and powershot with zero delay. It's not always a good thing to do but if you're stunned for example and need to do some damage you can shift and use your abilities so that the second you come out of the stun you counter them with your stun or fire off your ultimate as you're about to die. Bots react in the same way, they play the equivalent of using shift on everything so there's zero delay. It's nothing like playing against a human really, especially with their exploitable AI. They're only really good for trying out and getting to grips with the basics.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Have you tried MW3?

"Akimbo noob l2p"
"striker noob, etc"
"quickscope nub"
"hardscope noob"
"MP7 low, l2p noob"
"riot shield nab"
"-insert item here- lamer"
"FMG9 noskill"
"lagger noob"

And so on...
My brother is dedicated to the free weekend, I'm just there to behave like a dick and repeat "u mad", "cry", "your tears are delicious", etc.