Rant on DOTA 2 and MOBA games in general.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
This really isn't new. I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this...

I try to be one of the few people who actually respects other players in these games and in general tries to be helpful.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Fappy said:
This has been the staple of MOBA games since the first DoTA. Fucking terrible communities.
My guess is that the MOBA communities are that terrible because games tend to last a while. And at any point, about half of the community is going to feel as if they just wasted an hour of their life. Add to that the snowball effect mistakes tend to have in the genre, and you have a recipe for a stressful gaming environment.

That makes people frustrated and angry. Frustrated and angry people tend to act in a frustrated and angry fashion. That said, after every LoL game, I report everyone who got too abusive in the chat.

PS: As far as LoL goes, if you want to go into a less terrible part of community, go play dominion for a bit. It does a mind good.

splayfoot1

Mar 9, 2012
firstly, how dare you draw me out from the darkness, i was enjoying my time in the shadows.

but more on topic. I tried HoN a long time ago, played one game and vowed to never return, more recently i got LoL, and i love it. Im only playing co-op vs AI as my comp is ancient and just wouldnt function vs humans, but ive found 90% of the people that play bot matches are at the very least neutral, most are friendly and helpful.

my theory has always been that people who play PvP have more aggression, or get more enjoyment from killing people, but people who play co-op vs AI are more likely to be team focused or interested in learning/practicing.

TLDR: theres less rage in co-op games, if you dont mind the lesser challenge.

Beardly

Jan 19, 2010
I think the worst part about these games is that they attract the type of players who spend entire days playing and studying them. These people don't understand anyone who wants to treat it like a game. It's like all the worst parts of WoW jammed together.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if Valve find a way to implement the good-will system they've been talking about.

It'd certainly help curb the number of cunts. Or at least, the number of cunts that non-cunts have to endure.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
And that's pretty much why I've never tried LoL. It looks like it would be something I'd enjoy, but people like that are just depressing... Not annoying, I mean, it's depressing that people think it's okay to behave like that.

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
because in these type of games, a single player cannot fight the odds and win by himself, forcing players to be reliant on teammates. A single bad player can ruin the match for a player, and losing not because you fucked up but because a teammate did makes people rage. Hell, i get angry when i get a bad player on my team, i can try to tell him what to do and what not, but that only goes so far.

The problem is mainly on the principle of teamwork, so unless you are playing with people you know, people are gonna get mad when they get stuck with bad players that causes them lose the game. And since people cant leave, they have to wait for the game to end, taking anywhere from 20-30 min. Dota style games are the only ones like this and that is why so many people rage.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Kitten DeLux said:
Flame them back it's what i do.
This doesn't help. Report them for profanity and ignore them. Flaming back makes you equally guilty.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
those idiots always have been like that, whining and making a comments we all have heard thousands of times (your mom, noob, L2P, etc.). difference is now that they are playing game that really requires teamwork and that every player can drag his team up or down. in most online MP games you never have that kind of responsibility in your team. it is almost never clear what the reason was why a team lost of won, but in a MOBA game it is. you can look at the builds of players, you can look at K/D's from your players and the enemies and you have a clear view what is happening in the game. if you fucked up, people can and will see it and will say something about it. so instead having a whinny kid choosing a random player and rant about him/her, they know can "justify" their whining. sure, in most cases they don't accept that they are in fact the reason their team is losing, but it is of course out of the question to admit that.

and not only those players do it, also the elitist are being vocal in these kind of games. so yeah, the communities of those games are baaaad!!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
This has been my experience every single time I've picked up a DOTA game all the way back to when it was just DOTA all stars. I came in a few years into it bein popular because my WC3 custom map interface was always nothin but DOTA so I figured I'd give it a shot. At this point ban lists were already in full force and people who played DOTA had been playin it for a long time so I figured I'd try one of the maps labeled for "newbs only" which, as I learned, is really just code for "I'm good at this and want to roll baddies." The kind of abuse I received was completely disgustin.

Tried LoL a few months back. Same exact thing happened. Not gonna give it a shot again with DoTA2 unless Valve does somethin to punish the dickbags that infest the DOTA genre.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Verzin said:
Here's what I don't like about MOBAs: the people who play them.
Does anyone? They're some of the biggest jackasses I've ever seen. They completely ruined HoN for me and I don't even want to play DOTA2 because everyone I've encountered so far has been a prick. LoL is the only game with a community that doesn't make me want to strangle cute little bunnies.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Super Monday Night Combat is somewhat better in terms of the community. Sure it has a fair share of douchers and you have to force intelligence out of the open chat, but it's generally a good experience once you find out who's who. I think it may have something to do with being a hybrid game and significantly easier to get into. I mean in Dota 2, you're wasting at least half an hour of your life when you have a bad loss. With Super MNC a stomp is usually around 15 minutes.

So while still not a great experience when it happens, losing in Super MNC leaves a significantly less bitter taste than a loss in Dota 2 would, leading to an overall better community attitude.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
LoL is the only game with a community that doesn't make me want to strangle cute little bunnies.
Unless it's Teemo in that bunny outfit. Annoying little pest, that he is. Except when he's on your team. Then he's likely to be AFK somewhere.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
splayfoot1 said:
firstly, how dare you draw me out from the darkness, i was enjoying my time in the shadows.

but more on topic. I tried HoN a long time ago, played one game and vowed to never return, more recently i got LoL, and i love it. Im only playing co-op vs AI as my comp is ancient and just wouldnt function vs humans, but ive found 90% of the people that play bot matches are at the very least neutral, most are friendly and helpful.

my theory has always been that people who play PvP have more aggression, or get more enjoyment from killing people, but people who play co-op vs AI are more likely to be team focused or interested in learning/practicing.

TLDR: theres less rage in co-op games, if you dont mind the lesser challenge.
:eek: Fresh meat....

OT: I played Dota back in the War3 days. Alright, but a whole game of it wasn't for me.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
LoL is the only game with a community that doesn't make me want to strangle cute little bunnies.
Unless it's Teemo in that bunny outfit. Annoying little pest, that he is. Except when he's on your team. Then he's likely to be AFK somewhere.
Teemo has actually become my main recently. And I'm never AFK. Always go for attack speed and damage, so I'm literally made of rice paper.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Why are you allowing the bad part of the community affect you?

Just ignore them and play the game!

My understanding of Dota's mechanics wouldn't be this deep if I allowed people who say, "lol noob plz unistall," to get to me.

Apr 28, 2008
This is why I tend to play with bots when I can. Or with friends.

Those two groups won't threaten to cut my mom's penis off and shove it up my nose. And yes, someone actually said that to me once. Was in Quake 3. Though he got banned from the server for being a total prick, which was nice.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Beardly said:
I think the worst part about these games is that they attract the type of players who spend entire days playing and studying them. These people don't understand anyone who wants to treat it like a game. It's like all the worst parts of WoW jammed together.
I'm going to stop you right there and say that this attitude is one of the worst in the MOBA community. The excuse "it's just a game" is complete bullshit.
A MOBA game is one where you are relied on by 4 other people, you sink the team because you fed means you just wasted at least 20 minutes of 4 other people's time for enjoyment and made that time absolute crap.
You honestly can't play a MOBA game to any effective level if you don't know how your hero works and how the other heroes works, just because you don't want to spend time learning the game doesn't mean other people should bear the brunt of your decision.
There are plenty of games out there, MOBA games and other games that absolutely need teamwork are not games for people who don't want to be a team player and pull their weight.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Rednog said:
Beardly said:
I'm going to stop you right there and say that this attitude is one of the worst in the MOBA community. The excuse "it's just a game" is complete bullshit.
A MOBA game is one where you are relied on by 4 other people, you sink the team because you fed means you just wasted at least 20 minutes of 4 other people's time for enjoyment and made that time absolute crap.
You honestly can't play a MOBA game to any effective level if you don't know how your hero works and how the other heroes works, just because you don't want to spend time learning the game doesn't mean other people should bear the brunt of your decision.
There are plenty of games out there, MOBA games and other games that absolutely need teamwork are not games for people who don't want to be a team player and pull their weight.
*scratches head*

You'll have to explain that leap of logic to me, between "It's a game" and "I don't want to be a team player and pull my weight." And tell you what, I get annoyed if I lose too, but if I absolutely have to comment on that I'm going to do so in a civil and mature fashion, as opposed to going "wtf noob go back to fucking farmville". And I'll report anyone who does that. Even if they were on my team.

Actually, I'll say that the worst offenders in attitude are usually the ones that messed up the most badly in the first place, in my experience.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Vegosiux said:
Rednog said:
Beardly said:
*scratches head*

You'll have to explain that leap of logic to me, between "It's a game" and "I don't want to be a team player and pull my weight." And tell you what, I get annoyed if I lose too, but if I absolutely have to comment on that I'm going to do so in a civil and mature fashion, as opposed to going "wtf noob go back to fucking farmville". And I'll report anyone who does that. Even if they were on my team.

Actually, I'll say that the worst offenders in attitude are usually the ones that messed up the most badly in the first place, in my experience.
If you don't want to learn the game/heroes and proceed to feed the enemy team you aren't being a team player. He's saying oh it's just a game why should I bother to spend time learning about it? That is a crappy attitude to carry into a moba games, its like que up oh well I screwed the game, sucks for the rest of you guys.
I get annoyed if I lose, but I get even more annoyed when I hear people like him who just die, run back to lane, die in a perpetual circles because "who cares it's just a game".