Rape conviction overturned due to discrepancies found in victim's memoir.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
In 1999, author Alice Sebold wrote her emotional memoir Lucky, in which she detailed being raped and beaten by a stranger when she was eighteen, near the Syracuse University campus. Now, the man convicted of that rape is being exonerated.

The man, Anthony J. Broadwater, was exonerated on Monday as a state judge, his defense lawyers, and the Onondaga County district attorney agreed “that the case against him had been woefully flawed,” according to reporting from The New York Times.
A mixture of junk science and faulty police work is seen as responsible for this failure in justice. Broadwater’s conviction was apparently based on two things: A type of identification through microscopic hair analysis—something that is now seen as faulty—and Sebold’s in-court identification.

Sebold had first identified another man in a police lineup, but changed her mind when the original prosecutors untruthfully told her that Broadwater and the misidentified man had purposely tried to trick and confuse her. Sadly, when it comes to identification across racial lines (Sebold is white, and Broadwater is Black) the risk of wrongful ID is higher.
As pointed out by The Innocence Project, “42 percent of wrongful convictions based on misidentifications are cross-racial misidentifications,” and that tends to only be found out by DNA analysis and later post-conviction work.

State Supreme Court Justice Gordon J. Cuffy overturned Mr. Broadwater’s conviction of first-degree rape and five related charges, which means he will no longer be categorized as a sex offender. In response to this, so far, Ms. Sebold had no comment on the decision, and a spokesman for Scribner, the publisher of Lucy, said that the publisher had no plans to update the text with any information concerning this change.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Sebold was a victim of a horrible crime, and the idea that she identified the wrong man will no doubt be a traumatic experience for her. When junk science and people within the system lie to get convictions, it does harm to victim all over again.

For Broadwater, while he was released from jail in 1998, his life was forever changed by everything that happened. He and his wife wanted to have children, but he felt they couldn’t because of the stigma of his conviction and the limitations it would create.

“I just hope and pray that maybe Ms. Sebold will come forward and say, ‘Hey, I made a grave mistake,’ and give me an apology,” Mr. Broadwater said. “I sympathize with her. But she was wrong.”

Timothy Mucciante, who was working as an executive producer of the adaptation of Lucky, played a pivotal role in this story when he began to notice discrepancies between the memoir and the script.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Sebold had first identified another man in a police lineup, but changed her mind when the original prosecutors untruthfully told her that Broadwater and the misidentified man had purposely tried to trick and confuse her.

Um...what? We need an industrial strength unpacking tool for this passing sentence.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
What were the discrepancies in the memoir?

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
*SIGH* Bullshit like this is how you get MGTOWS. Do you want MGTOWS?!

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
*SIGH* Bullshit like this is how you get MGTOWS. Do you want MGTOWS?!
I'm not sure this has really got much to do with MGTOWs.

Misidentification is not unusual - but identification is rarely enough to convict on its own. The real problem is that the police lied to and tricked the victim to turn misidentification into an apparent identification, and added some crappy forensics to seal the deal. This is therefore a problem of police processes.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The manosphere set tends to hop on just about ever false identification case and make it the norm.
Strikes me it's more of a "black men shouldn't fuck white women" sort of discrimination.