Rape Games Banned in Japan, For Real

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Following an emergency meeting of the Ethics Organization of Computer Software [http://www.sofurin.org/] it has been determined, apparently for real this time, that rape games will be banned in Japan - sort of.

The meeting involved almost 100 representatives of various eroge companies but Canned Dogs [http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/06/02/production-and-sale-of-rape-games-will-be-banned/] says there was "surprisingly little" opposition to the proposed ban, with most seemingly resigned to the fact that rule changes were inevitable. Instead, the attendees were more concerned with determining what would and would not be acceptable.

Specific guidelines weren't set and until they are the EOCS will work with game companies on an individual basis to monitor new releases. Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; changing the name [http://www.syrup-soft.jp/top/index2.html] of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.

The EOCS, much like the ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] in North America, is a voluntary organization, so these proposed changes won't actually be enshrined in Japanese law. It sounds like games that cross the line will be refused a rating by the agency instead, which may keep them out of "mainstream" Japanese retail outlets but won't prevent their creation or distribution. An outright ban on the games seems very unlikely; while the genre might seem odd or outrageous to most North American gamers, it's estimated to account for 10-20 percent of the Japanese PC game industry, enough to give it a considerable amount of clout in the decision-making process.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
O_O Have I been living under a stone or is it a shock to find out there are such things as 'rape games' that aren't just an awful flash on newgrounds? What's the gameplay like as well? Button press for a set sequence, or one for thrust? *shudder*

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
This has, apparently, achieved nothing, and that makes me very depressed. I wouldn't have a problem with rape in games if it were portrayed as how it actually is: horrible, disgusting, and traumatic. It could be used in games to help tell a really powerful, emotional story, and yet people continue to use it like this: to glorify the act itself and objectify women. Very rarely am I against censorship, but rape games cross a line.
Malygris said:
with most seemingly resigned to the fact that rule changes were inevitable.
I submit this as further evidence. These people are actually sad that they won't be able to make games about rape any more. They need help.
Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; changing the name [http://www.syrup-soft.jp/top/index2.html] of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.
For God's sake. Why do people feel compelled to make these games; and more importantly, why do people buy them?!

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
I just got up and now I feel like I need another shower. I try not to condemn cultures I don't understand, but those games are disgusting and completely indefensible.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Any culture that finds rape acceptable and entertaining should be wiped off the face of the earth. I don't give two shits about Japan but they continue to make me question whether or not the USSR and USA would have been better off wiping that shitty little island off the map in the first place.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
-sigh-

How about i come to YOUR county and tell you how to live?

Because there more in touch with there sexual side, doesn't mean that we should get a hand in this, let them get on with it, they have appointed leaders, let them deal with it.

And since when was rape as bad as being paratrooped into somewhere that resembles Iraq and killing them for trying to defend there homeland.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
The game box made me laugh though...I'm a bad person.
The clawing Hands!! :(

i say that the japanses ban is abit stupid. sure, now it wont be as bad for kids to read the title, but even so...

rosac

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Bad journalism. The title is misleading.

They weren't banned, they might be refused a rating but they are not banned.

Rajin Cajun said:
Any culture that finds rape acceptable and entertaining should be wiped off the face of the earth. I don't give two shits about Japan but they continue to make me question whether or not the USSR and USA would have been better off wiping that shitty little island off the map in the first place.
Here we go again with the ignorant half-baked commentaries.

What about murder? Is murder acceptable? should we wipe you off the face of the earth because you find killing others acceptable?

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Caliostro said:
Bad journalism. The title is misleading.

They weren't banned, they might be refused a rating but they are not banned.

Rajin Cajun said:
Here we go again with the ignorant half-baked commentaries.

What about murder? Is murder acceptable? should we wipe you off the face of the earth because you find killing others acceptable?
Murder does not equal combat so nice fallacy since I was discussing killing off the whole lot during the Second World War.