Raphael and Donatello Revealed in New TMNT Trailer

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I'm going to skip on this. Michael Bay will not continue to destroy my childhood (at least to my eyes) anymore.

To me this looks like another poor acting reboot of an otherwise perfectly fine 80's/90's cartoon that DID NOT need to be rebooted. But it will make millions at the box office because sheep will flock to see it. No thank you. IMO if you are a regular on this website then you would be doing the opposite of what this site aims to do (IMO). And that is shed light on entertainment bullshit and make a stand against it.

Besides, it'll be on DVD in 3 months anyways to cash cow in. Redbox it for $1.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Transformers all over again...Fanboys screaming "THIS WILL SUCK" before the film has even been released.

TMNT has always had weird and silly designs, hell the original live action versions of these guys were just horrible. This really doesn't look all that bad, plus this is just a teaser trailer, things are undoubtedly going to look...off and unfinished.

I honestly think this looks decent. Fantastic? no. But good? Yeh kinda. As long as they stay true to the Turtles in how they act ect i honestly don't see the problem.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
dragongit said:
Does Donatello really need those taped up glasses? It's bad enough he has glasses to make him look nerdy, but the tape just says super dork. So much for being subtle...
You are forgetting TF2 already or do I have to remind of of those ghetto-fied robots with gold buckteeth?

Stereotypes! Because Michael Bay can't produce 3 dimensional characters.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
XenoScifi said:
I'm going to skip on this. Michael Bay will not continue to destroy my childhood (at least to my eyes) anymore.
Hey look! I found an example!

How has he "Ruined" your childhood? I'm assuming you mean Transformers? Yes?

You still have all your childhood memories of it, Michael didn't come out with "We are recreating G1/Armada/Beastwars" etc He was hired by Hasbro to create a live action representation of a franchise. Which he did, Honestly without his designs i think Transformers would of hit a brick wall hard. And this is coming from someone who loved Transformers at the age of 5.

TMNT will be no different, it will bring new people into the franchise (possibly myself, TMNT sounds awesome on paper but the cartoons bore me to death) and will probably see a new growth in the franchise. Hell i hope this film just gives a big back hander to everyone who thinks this will flop. It's about time one of these reboots did.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Are their shells made of adamantium or somthing? Because that impact towards the end would be deadly from sheer kinetic energy never mind that turtle shells ain't that hard.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Baresark said:
Eh, I'm not mad at it. I don't really care if they changed a bunch of shit. It was never like the comic. If I have nothing else going on, I'll see it. I think all the complaints about the physical changes of the turtles are mostly unfounded. The most recent animated shows were nothing like the comic or even the original TV series. I just do find it funny that the general attitude towards this negative. As someone who loved the Ninja Turtles growing up, I'm excited to see a new live action movie.
Same here. This looks to be a decent action flick. I don't get all the hate.

"Waah! It's different!"

Of course, I have to wonder if this hate stems from fans of the (creator-dispised, IIRC) 80's cartoon, or the much more faithful 2003 series?

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Hey look! I found an example!

How has he "Ruined" your childhood? I'm assuming you mean Transformers? Yes?

You still have all your childhood memories of it, Michael didn't come out with "We are recreating G1/Armada/Beastwars" etc He was hired by Hasbro to create a live action representation of a franchise. Which he did, Honestly without his designs i think Transformers would of hit a brick wall hard. And this is coming from someone who loved Transformers at the age of 5.

TMNT will be no different, it will bring new people into the franchise (possibly myself, TMNT sounds awesome on paper but the cartoons bore me to death) and will probably see a new growth in the franchise. Hell i hope this film just gives a big back hander to everyone who thinks this will flop. It's about time one of these reboots did.[/quote]

You found nothing. It's a figure of speech. All of these reboots are a complete lack of creativeness. It's a way for Hollywood to cash in and what better way to do it than through nostalgia? Producers and publishers have found a way to fist in cash real fast with minimal creative effort. Granted a lot of production goes behind these movies, but for what? Just because something looks good does not mean we should be spending money on it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Baresark said:
Eh, I'm not mad at it. I don't really care if they changed a bunch of shit. It was never like the comic. If I have nothing else going on, I'll see it. I think all the complaints about the physical changes of the turtles are mostly unfounded. The most recent animated shows were nothing like the comic or even the original TV series. I just do find it funny that the general attitude towards this negative. As someone who loved the Ninja Turtles growing up, I'm excited to see a new live action movie.
The newest show's biggest shift from the earlier animations is making the two prominent human characters teens rather than adults. And nothing is going to be much like the comics, because as a whole the series has moved away from that and towards a more kid-selling friendly image.

And sorry to say buddy, but the differences between the earlier version of the cartoon to now is far less different than it is from the newest cartoon to this. There's something called "subtlety" if you've never heard of it. Adding a crack in the shell here, or bulking the body up a little more than the rest, or a little gap in the tooth there helps show individuality amongst what was shown before as just 4 color swaps of the same character. It also got about defining them, even if just a little, as their role much better.

Micheal Bay has no sense of subtlety, and aside from the sheer idiocy of the look for Donny to have all of his gadgets strapped upon him as if it was safe, or for Leonardo to be wearing bamboo armor just because, doesn't work. He also humanizes the faces for no reason whatsoever, when the Jim Henson ones from the original movies (or the first movie, if you like) worked as a great bridge between realism and cartoony.

It just does not look right animated like it does. People's eyes are naturally trained to notice discrepancies, its why we have the "Uncanny Valley" effect, and its no surprise people aren't fond of the way the faces appear or are animated like.

However, I do find it funny. Funny that people want to be so dismissive of others responses to the movie, and feel the need to point it out as if they are some unique flower, completely ignoring the fact that this is all subjective (including their own view). Nothing is unfounded here, except for your own lazy dismissal.

And I say this as a major Ninja Turtles fan whose watched most, if not almost all, of the series released for them aside from the original comics. I will not see this movie because frankly, just like the third live action movie, this looks like utter trash. All this one has going for it is that no one can definitively say it's trash at the moment, seeing as it's not out yet.
I'm not being dismissive so much as saying that people are going out of their way to be pissed about this. We don't know anything about it besides what a few trailers have shown. You are using some bullshit excuse of "subtlety" to justify your feelings. Your feelings about it are just fine. My whole point is that I will simply wait to see that it's a bad movie rather than just assuming because some cosmetic changes have been made, the movie automatically sucks.

If we were gonna be reasonably mad about something, it probably should be that the Shredder is played by a white guy. At least the turtles are turtles. At least April O'Neal is girl, even if the hair color is all wrong. But no. We all get so hung up on the Turtles not being like they "should" be, we kind of miss one of the most obvious disparities with any of the previous material.

You do you, but don't sit there and try to justify a complaint that you have. It's Ok if you don't like how it looks. I'm simply saying that I don't think it looks so horrendously bad. No "uncanny valley" effect for me. I do not feel a strong sense of revulsion because of the way they are animated. But, that is me.

The funniest part is that I simply said I find the hatred and negativity towards the Turtles new look to be unfounded. In that I meant that it goes against nostalgia and that, more than anything else, seems to be what all the hatred is about. But I don't share you coveted opinion, so you accused me of being dismissive because I don't see the same thing as you. Get over yourself, your opinion doesn't matter that much. Hell, no one's opinion matters that much. Don't see the move or see it so you can see how "fail" it is. You aren't going to hurt or justify anyone's feelings by acknowledging that a thing you don't like is allowed to exist.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Baresark said:
Same here. This looks to be a decent action flick. I don't get all the hate.

"Waah! It's different!"

Of course, I have to wonder if this hate stems from fans of the (creator-dispised, IIRC) 80's cartoon, or the much more faithful 2003 series?
Amen to that. I have to be honest though. Everyone who is going to sit here and hate this thing are going to claim OG anyway. And by that I mean they are gonna be like, "I have watched everything ever having to do with TMNT, and this is insulting."

It's all just opinions in the end. You and I are actually going to wait to see if it sucks, and bunch of others have already decided it sucks because of some arbitrary model they created as soon as the name, "Michael Bay", came into the equation.

I'm of the opinion that you can't sit there and say it sucks from a few quick shots of actions scenes in a movie. It may suck really bad, but at least we are sitting here acknowledging that we should wait to see before we make a decision. Part of me will love all incarnation of the Turtles. I just loved them growing up. They are one of the coolest... teams of ninjas I guess... that have ever been. I'm happy to see them come back again, even in a form that may not be perfect. The way I see it, if the personalities are intact and action is well executed, it'll be as a Ninja Turtle movie that there ever was. Which I don't see as a bad thing.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
So now Micheal Bay is going to ruin CG Mutants for people like he ruined giant robots. Seriously quite a few people in my community gave Pacific Rim a pass because Transformers was such shite, and they figured it would be more of that.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Ugliest possible TMNT design... I pray this fails and Michael Bay stops making shit movies about my favorite childhood toys.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Taped glasses. Because it's always a good idea to insult your stated target demographic.

Seriously, is that stereotype still hanging around? I hang out with a lot of nerds and I've never met anyone with taped glasses.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Meh, the designs are a little jarring but I can't see anyway that the Turtles being made in CGI wouldn't look jarring. I do like the fact that the different turtles actually look different rather than just giving them different colors.

XenoScifi said:
MrHide-Patten said:
So now Micheal Bay is going to ruin CG Mutants for people like he ruined giant robots.
newwiseman said:
Ugliest possible TMNT design... I pray this fails and Michael Bay stops making shit movies about my favorite childhood toys.
I'm so confused, why are we blaming Michael Bay for the Turtles when he's only the person producing it and not the one directing it?

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
The taped glasses thing looks like they're supposed to be human glasses he scavenged and modded to fit his inhuman face. If you look at the pic Scrumpmonkey posted, you can see the nose gap between the lenses is huge. Looks like he clipped them in half at the bridge, and and taped a spacer of some kind in the middle.

I'm not an old TMNT fan, (I remember them, but was never into them), so no fucks given here about changes. I definitely do think the faces seen here look really strange in a "sliding into the uncanny valley from the far side" sort of way though. It's like the different parts of one of the faces all belong to a bunch of different clashing faces, so I can't "see" the face as a whole even when I'm looking right at it. I see the lips or the eyes or the nose or whatnot individually, but I can't process them all together as a coherent face. Like some kind of anti-pareidolia effect.

It's almost like how I'd imagine an autistic person sees faces. Like if a mental health educator paid an artist to design something that would communicate to a "normal" person how autistic people have difficulty with facial expressions and the like, they might come up with something that has the same "dissociative parts" vibe these turtle faces have.

It's not a CG thing, as I can think of a lot of famous examples of CG faced creatures which, while not being perfect, are still fully relatable and don't have this strong, weird dissociative vibe. It's clearly a design thing.

It's so strong that I feel like the design only makes sense if MB actually wants them to be kinda unsettling IMO. It's the sort of thing a clever horror movie director might do, but Bay is neither a horror movie director, nor one for such subtlety. It's just weird and doesn't make sense unless you assume Bay himself has trouble with faces.

Not that I'm proposing he might be autistic or anything (I think it's pretty damn clear he isn't), but... he does have a pretty solid track record for cluelessness when it comes to his human characters. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me too much if he does have some kind of innate difficulty perceiving other human beings.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
XenoScifi said:
You found nothing. It's a figure of speech. All of these reboots are a complete lack of creativeness. It's a way for Hollywood to cash in and what better way to do it than through nostalgia? Producers and publishers have found a way to fist in cash real fast with minimal creative effort. Granted a lot of production goes behind these movies, but for what? Just because something looks good does not mean we should be spending money on it.
Still doesn't mean the other poster was wrong, you used a term which even the fandom it originates from acknowledges is damn stupid, but without irony.
What happened to just saying; 'This doesn't look good.'
"OMG MAN; RUINED MAH CHILDHOOD!" is just...Eh, no they didn't. Unless they time-traveled back to your life as a kid and shat on you while barbequing your hamster or something.
Everything new that is done to old series get the "ruined forever!!!!" response, and that's tiresome as these things need to be introduced to new generations. For exmaple, Bay introduced a lot of kids to Transformers, and they'll carry the torch in 10-20 years to the next one.
http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Taped glasses. Because it's always a good idea to insult your stated target demographic.

Seriously, is that stereotype still hanging around? I hang out with a lot of nerds and I've never met anyone with taped glasses.
I had taped glasses for six days between me breaking them and getting new ones. Does that count?