Raphael and Donatello Revealed in New TMNT Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Raphael and Donatello Revealed in New TMNT Trailer

Same trailer as before, now with red and purple

Fans and critics weren't exactly bowled over by the first teaser-trailer for the live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot, with much of the negative critique focus on our first glimpse of the new character designs for Leonardo and Michaelangelo. Now, a slightly-revised version of the teaser has now debuted, featuring brief shadowy looks at The Shredder (William Fichtner) and Master Splinter (Tony Shalhoub); but the big news will likely be the clearer-than-previous looks at the new Donatello and Raphael.

Donny gets the more prominent of the new spotlights, confirming that the Turtles' resident tech-genius now "does machines" on the go with seemingly an entire workshop's worth of tools and electronic equipment strapped to his shell and a pair of taped glasses. Raph is seen briefly, but apart from looking significantly larger than his brothers appears to be the least re-designed of the four, with only some leather straps on his arms and legs as "new" accessories. It cannot be determined, at this time, whether he will remain "cool, but rude."

Produced by Michael Bay and directed by Jonathan Liebsman, TMNT will hit theaters in August. A new adaptation of the characters, the film is not connected to any of the previous installments or the new animated series currently airing on Nickelodeon.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=238732196250551&set=vb.195045757285862&type=2&theater]

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Splinter was in there somewhere?

I couldn't tell. Maybe he was hiding amongst all the "terrible" and "bad"

Seriously... can someone tell me were to pause in order to see splinter?

Is he just a giant sliver of wood in this reboot?

Edit:

Never mind, I found him.

Granted all we see of him is his back... but he looks to be the more faifully recreated of the gang.

Though I don't know how I feel about him twirling a sword the way he does. I've always felt he was too wise for show boating.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh god, I thought Micky ugly mug was frightening enough but seeing Don scream at 1.08 was a stuff of nightmare (mainly the open mouth and his glasses)!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Oh god, I thought Micky ugly mug was frightening enough but seeing Don scream at 1.08 was a stuff of nightmare (mainly the open mouth and his glasses)!
For some reason, when I saw that shot, the one thing that came to my mind was "Urkel?"

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Turtles with lips = Horror movie.

Seriously, why did they make their faces flatter and give them lips...freaking LIPS? It looks horrendous. Let's see how they deal with the story. I'm not expecting much, but let's see the reviews.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know, I think I might give this movie a shot just to see. I have to say that I am not a fan of Donnie's new look. At all. Too much going on, and I can't help but think that all that gear would get in the way of the fighting that he does. Unless that stuff is bolted down tight, it's going to be smacking him in the face a lot. All the other Turtles I can accept, but him, I'm going to have problems with. And please tell me the glasses aren't permanent.

Oct 20, 2010
WOW literally the same trailer, plus more footage of Fuck ugly designs :(

Poor Donatello, that looks terrible. Teenage Mutant Tech-Marine. The Fifth Ghost-buster is a Turtle?!?! Donatello is developing for Occulus Rift on the Fly??? No I get it, it's a custom Pip-Boy!

I would like to know HOW THE HELL these turtles are going to fit down a man-hole cover to get to the sewers. 0_o

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Thumbnail for the article makes Donatello look like a Gungan. Symbolism?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The faces are an issue but if the movie is good and the characters are right, this will be a good movie. An this is from a person that made a Michelangelo pillowcase in school over 20 years ago. Wow i feel old.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm just going to pass on this one. The character designs are actually sickening to look at.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Does Donatello really need those taped up glasses? It's bad enough he has glasses to make him look nerdy, but the tape just says super dork. So much for being subtle...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm super tempted to watch this movie just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
I'm super tempted to watch this movie just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.
Wait till netflix so you wont support it in the box office.

That's one way to satisfy your morbid curiosity without supporting the project.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, I'm not mad at it. I don't really care if they changed a bunch of shit. It was never like the comic. If I have nothing else going on, I'll see it. I think all the complaints about the physical changes of the turtles are mostly unfounded. The most recent animated shows were nothing like the comic or even the original TV series. I just do find it funny that the general attitude towards this negative. As someone who loved the Ninja Turtles growing up, I'm excited to see a new live action movie.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Wow even with Micheal Bay merely providing the clout to give the movie the go-ahead just his name existing has tainted the film beyond repair for most of you.

I'm going to be the Devil's advocate and look at the information made public and the released trailer with no bias and give you the run down.

But the masses say " you forgot to mention the original script rumors of Alien turtle origin story and their designs man, just look at them!"

Okay, but they've since scrapped/debunked that script and the characters don't look immediately terrible to me at all personally. The attention to detail is top-notch as it was in the Transformers movies (not condoning the script here) and from the glimpses that we've seen of them in the trailer in this film they've become far more personalized in their designs and body sizes.

Raph does indeed looked a lot more bulked up than the others (not in a Knuckles Sonic Boom way though) at the 1 minute mark. Leonardo does appear to be wearing some make-shift tribal(?) type armor on his chest while Don is going the full on Scavenger Techie, tagging along his doodads at the 1:02 mark. Mikey appears to have carried over his "Cowabunga" personality with several examples of that being shown in the trailer. You can see him skating on a supped up Skateboard (probably Donnies doing) at the 1:03 and most notably his introduction to Ms. O'neill with the mask joke.

Looking at the trailer with a close eye to detail (and several repeats) you can see that Leonardo's not the only one with subtle tribal/primitive decorations on him. They've all got little touches like monk bracelets, sea shell necklaces and what not lingering on their persons. WHICH I THINK IS AWESOME! We can speculate from those items, that the turtles may not have been lingering in the city the entire film but may have been raised/trained in a rural forest or jungle with Splinter who is shown twirling his blade at the 1:06 mark. The scavenger look they seem to have going on is real cool and hopefully may emphasis their naïve outlook at city life (seeing as how I myself am not buying that they're teenagers in this one well maybe minus Don I guess) that we'd have gotten if they still had/have the teenage mentality.

My feelings are further cemented in the fact that one of the original creators has been on board with the film from the get go and if you follow interviews and what not you'd know following the success of the semi-sequel(for the original live trilogy) cgi film they opted to go the Cgi/live actor hybrid and this film has been in planning for a while now. So your concerns of the script due to MB being attached are noted but If you liked the 2007 film and the wonderful development it had for Raph and Leo (Don and Mikey got the stick on that one) this one might follow suit.

So I'd recommend either letting this one go, or enjoy in speculating how this film will play out. But don't continue to prattle about aesthetics and presumptions. That's no fun for any one.

There's so much more to speculate and discuss but it's already a wall as it is, and I've got no real stake in it either, but if someone's opened their mind a little more to the possibilities my work here is done.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I don't know, I think I might give this movie a shot just to see. I have to say that I am not a fan of Donnie's new look. At all. Too much going on, and I can't help but think that all that gear would get in the way of the fighting that he does. Unless that stuff is bolted down tight, it's going to be smacking him in the face a lot. All the other Turtles I can accept, but him, I'm going to have problems with. And please tell me the glasses aren't permanent.
If you take a look back at the trailer around the 51 second mark you see a very quick glimpse of Don fighting some thugs. Watching the reaction of his gear from the swing shows they're either bolted or solidly belted on.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Ronack said:
Donatello, the turtle, doing a duckface. I'm officially done with this movie. I'll watch it, sure, but only as a disaster tourist.
I always find statements like this to be hilarious. You're basically saying, "Sure, I'll help make it one of the most successful movies of the Summer, but I reserve my rights to complain about anything and everything the producers do and get mad that they do it."

You are the problem in this situation. The reason stuff like this gets made is because of people having attitudes like this.

I'm not a fan of Ninja Turtles, but I wish people would realize that the reason they keep making horrible crap out of stuff we love is because we give them ALL the money. Nothing will ever change.