Raphael and Donatello Revealed in New TMNT Trailer

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
RJ Dalton said:
Taped glasses. Because it's always a good idea to insult your stated target demographic.

Seriously, is that stereotype still hanging around? I hang out with a lot of nerds and I've never met anyone with taped glasses.
Yah, this is Bay we're talking about though (I know he's not directing, but come on. He's got his hands into this deeper than George Lucas had into Redtails). He'll revive a stereotype to suit his purposes if he feels like it, and approach it with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. On fire. Wielded by an elephant. ... Also on fire.

I don't know how I feel about the taped glasses though. On the one hand it COULD have been cool because Donny's head is too big and his eyes too far appart for human glasses. So, he finds some lenses that will help him see, breaks the frame, uses a piece of metal to space the lenses out, and tapes it all together. BUT the logic of it in the movie will be: Donny's smart. Smart people are nerds. Therefore Donny's a nerd. Nerds wear glasses. Therefore, Donny wears glasses... Being the wizard of the group it would have been cool if he crafted his own lenses and incorporated them into his bandana or something, or wore them like goggles, rather than going for the lowest of all possible hanging fruits to get the point accross that he's the intellectual or the tech guy.

I don't have any connection to my childhood that would keep me from enjoying an adaptation of something I was into. Transformers, TMNT, Thundercats, Silverhawks, any of it. I acknowledge the inherent silliness of all these things and won't hold them up as somehow sacred. I'm skipping this simply because Michael Bay products are complete and utter $#!7.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I hope I don't care about what's next. I liked Transformers when I was little, but I didn't care enough about it to get upset about what the movies did with the characters, I find the movies suck enough on their own account. GI Joe I don't give a shit about, found the movie bleh. TMNT? I love me some turtles. This, I don't love this, this trailer I do not like, this does not look like a movie for me. SO, I hope the next thing I can go back to not giving a shit. Let's have Street Sharks next, if that goes to hell it may at least be funny. I need to find some movies I enjoy, 'cause this shit is making me cynical.

Oct 20, 2010
nightmare_gorilla said:
am I the only one who thinks Donnie looks like Wanda from "in living color"
OMFG that's hysterical! You may have just made this movie watchable for me. :) WanDa-tello!

Captcha: up and away No that's Handi-man, and that was offensive, not funny. Wanda as a Turtle is a WIN

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Just get rid of the fuckin nostrils and human lips.

http://i.imgur.com/kADmzsV.jpg

Courtesy of reddit: www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/21xjck/someone_took_it_upon_themselves_to_improve_the/

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
They fucked up Don. Don is my favourite Turtle. Bay can go shove a live rattlesnake up his arse at this point...

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
It's weird, after I saw that trailer I actually kind of wanted to see it. Not with the intent of wanting to see how bad it is, but genuine interest in seeing how giant CGI turtles can work beating the crap out of things. If there's one thing Bay does really well, it's big destructive fights, so with the inherent issue of transforming robots making action scenes hard to follow, I'm thinking there could actually be some merit in this movie, especially to someone like me who never had an interest in the Turtles, so their redesign doesn't really bother me, though it did look really odd at first glance.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why the hell would a warrior strap all that fragile shit to his body?
This is so stupid.
Donatello was this greek ideal of a balance of mind and body.
That is the opposite. It's the stereotypical nerd who gets beaten up all the time and has to tape his broken glasses.
What the fuck.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RA92 said:
Just get rid of the fuckin nostrils and human lips.

http://i.imgur.com/kADmzsV.jpg

Courtesy of reddit: www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/21xjck/someone_took_it_upon_themselves_to_improve_the/
What a difference a beak makes. Seriously, these guys need a snout of some kind. You could still give them some nostrils, because in a realistic setting it would be strange if they didn't, but make them pinhole sized. Now they just look like they have stumpy nosed donkey faces.

Leave it to Michael Bay to get me pissed off about something I don't even really care about.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Taped. Motherfucking. Glasses.

Even though I'm a long-time fan of the TMNT I consider myself to be an open-minded person when it comes to new interpretations and representations of established characters. I can get behind Mikey's, Leo's and Raph's looks, no problem - don't even have an issue with how the faces look in general, this is simply a new somewhat-realistic-looking design.

But Donnie's design is just a big smack in the face. Instead of bringing his affinity for tech and science across by making him act smart and a bit nerdy, or even just limiting themselves to the entire workshop strapped to his shell, they had to turn him into an Urkel-esque superdork to get their point across.
Fuck that.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
arc1991 said:
XenoScifi said:
I'm going to skip on this. Michael Bay will not continue to destroy my childhood (at least to my eyes) anymore.
Hey look! I found an example!

How has he "Ruined" your childhood? I'm assuming you mean Transformers? Yes?

You still have all your childhood memories of it, Michael didn't come out with "We are recreating G1/Armada/Beastwars" etc He was hired by Hasbro to create a live action representation of a franchise. Which he did, Honestly without his designs i think Transformers would of hit a brick wall hard. And this is coming from someone who loved Transformers at the age of 5.

TMNT will be no different, it will bring new people into the franchise (possibly myself, TMNT sounds awesome on paper but the cartoons bore me to death) and will probably see a new growth in the franchise. Hell i hope this film just gives a big back hander to everyone who thinks this will flop. It's about time one of these reboots did.
It's like Bob said about Spider-Man. There is now a dark spot in the portion of my brain devoted to Transformers. What once was pure is now stained.

As far as the taped glasses though, he's a mother-fucking giant walking and talking turtle who lives in a sewer. He's not going to walk into lens crafters to buy a new pair of glasses, he's going to find a busted pair that was tossed out and fix them. Why he needs glasses though is a mystery to me.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
was no one alse put off by William Fichtner's totally phoned in performance/exposition dump to april, he's supposed to be playing shredder but his performance barely leaves baseline monotone. Yeah, the designs suck, that's not a deal breaker for me though, but when your MAIN Antagonist can't be assed to put in something resembling a performance, that's something you should be pissed about too.

though i must admit, donny's design does dredge up a pointless stereotype from the 80's that just doesn't suit his character, he's a tech geek, but he uses that knowledge on the battlefeild, when i look at that design i don't see the confident warrior who uses his brains to turn the tide of battle, i see the kid in a bad 80's comedy who gets their underwear tied to the flagpole.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Hahaha, I actually want to see this.
Not in the cinema though. Well, maybe if it get's good reviews.
Hey it could be great.

Also giving the techy guy taped up dork glasses?
The height of subtlety and creativity.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It is so easy to fix these designs so that they aren't so god awful. Of course there is a lot more wrong with this movie than the designs.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Ok, so we get the same voice over and a few new seconds of footage, all of it action scenes . . . I'm not sure what I was expecting. . . plot details? HAHAHAHA, it's a Michael Bay production, What Plot! HAHAHAHAHA

-M

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Baresark said:
kyosai7 said:
Baresark said:
Eh, I'm not mad at it. I don't really care if they changed a bunch of shit. It was never like the comic. If I have nothing else going on, I'll see it. I think all the complaints about the physical changes of the turtles are mostly unfounded. The most recent animated shows were nothing like the comic or even the original TV series. I just do find it funny that the general attitude towards this negative. As someone who loved the Ninja Turtles growing up, I'm excited to see a new live action movie.
Same here. This looks to be a decent action flick. I don't get all the hate.

"Waah! It's different!"

Of course, I have to wonder if this hate stems from fans of the (creator-dispised, IIRC) 80's cartoon, or the much more faithful 2003 series?
Amen to that. I have to be honest though. Everyone who is going to sit here and hate this thing are going to claim OG anyway. And by that I mean they are gonna be like, "I have watched everything ever having to do with TMNT, and this is insulting."

It's all just opinions in the end. You and I are actually going to wait to see if it sucks, and bunch of others have already decided it sucks because of some arbitrary model they created as soon as the name, "Michael Bay", came into the equation.

I'm of the opinion that you can't sit there and say it sucks from a few quick shots of actions scenes in a movie. It may suck really bad, but at least we are sitting here acknowledging that we should wait to see before we make a decision. Part of me will love all incarnation of the Turtles. I just loved them growing up. They are one of the coolest... teams of ninjas I guess... that have ever been. I'm happy to see them come back again, even in a form that may not be perfect. The way I see it, if the personalities are intact and action is well executed, it'll be as a Ninja Turtle movie that there ever was. Which I don't see as a bad thing.
Exactly. I even liked the first TF movie, although TF2 was utter garbage.

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
can we all just not watch the movie so that the film will fail and michael bay won't be allowed to do other toy franchised based movies?