Rapper Releases Tribute to Joss Whedon's Firefly

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Rapper Releases Tribute to Joss Whedon's Firefly

Former attorney-turned-rapper releases a big damn tribute to the cult sci-fi western series.

Starring the ever-cool Nathan Fillion, TV series Firefly sadly didn't last too long on the air, despite receiving high praise and developing a huge fan following. However, fans of Joss Whedon's cult series have something new to rock out with when running their next marathon of the sci-fi western; a full-length nerdcore rap album titled The Browncoats Mixtape.

Produced by Adam WarRock, a former attorney and now the internet's foremost "comic book rapper," The Browncoats Mixtape is probably the coolest musical tribute to the series ever, and features samples from both the TV show and the follow-up film Serenity. A subgenre of hip-hop, Nerdcore has a heavy focus on topics like science, Star Wars and Harry Potter. WarRock himself has written tracks covering all sorts of things nerdy and geek, ranging from Doctor Who [http://www.adamwarrock.com/2011/01/24/tracklog-83-fallout-state-of-mind/].

The lyrics in The Browncoats Mixtape are full of devotion to the crew of the good ship Serenity, with tracks like "Vera" describing the life of mercenary Jayne Cobb (played by Adam Baldwin) or "Still Flyin'" being all about the ever-cheerful mechanic Kaylee (played by Jewel Straite). It makes an excellent addition to the music collection of fans of either nerdcore or Firefly.

The best part? You can nab the entire 15-track set here [http://www.adamwarrock.com/browncoatsmixtape/] for free.

Source: ToplessRobot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/09/firefly_the_rap_album.php]

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
When I saw the title of the article, I was ready to jump in the comments and just tell any rapper that we don't need your kind here.
I have been proven wrong. This is shiny.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
So, none of you really know me, but if you did, the following words would make you go "WHAT THE FUCK?"

That song is actually quite good. Downloading now.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just wrote a lyric like this....
Boy you ain't got skills, I'll hustle right around ya,
jewelry like fireflies, your ***** on my katana...

Damn ninja rappers.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really like rap, and I didn't really like this.

I'm still going to download the thing though and give it a listen. It is free afterall.

Plus the cover art is awesome.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Woodsey said:
"Jayne Cobb (played by Adam Baldwin)"

But... Jayne is a girl's name.
Well Jayne ain't a girl.

My god this is awesome, did not expect the songs to be this good.

Sep 14, 2009
was gonna say in b4 the onslaught of "BRAHHHH RAP IS GARBAGE" but guess i'm not quick enough

that song seemed decent enough, will def. have to give it a download

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
I'm wondering how Marvel hasn't sued him for his name yet. On topic, this song is pretty damn good. Keep it up, Adam!

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I listened to most of the sample song. It's better than most nerdcore, which isn't saying much. I like my rap thick with wordplay and internal rhyme. This just doesn't cut it for me. Must have been fun, though.. so more power to him, I guess?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
No matter how good the subject matter is, I just really don't like rap. I'm sorry D:
Woodsey said:

I can't tell if you're saying that seriously, or that you've watched Firefly and know that that's a verbatim quote from River Tam.
Seriously - I've never seen it.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Adam WarRock is amazing, I've been listening to his stuff since he released an free album about the West Coast Avengers.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Everyone knows that all Rap sucks and sounds the exact same. ' -'

Ahaha, nah, I kid. My mind doesn't have that narrow a range of understanding. *Downloads song*

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'd never heard about nerdcore, it sounds fascinating. And even though I love Firefly, rap is just not my thing. This, however, wasn't that bad. Still not something I'd see myself listening to.
Woodsey said:
SirBryghtside said:
No matter how good the subject matter is, I just really don't like rap. I'm sorry D:
Woodsey said:

I can't tell if you're saying that seriously, or that you've watched Firefly and know that that's a verbatim quote from River Tam.
Seriously - I've never seen it.
Change that. You can pick up the entire series quite cheap on Amazon.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Wow there is a lot less "ITS RAP BURN IT! WE NEED OUR ROCK" I'm surprised....

This isn't to bad, I love tributes....