Rare Planning Natal Killer Instinct?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rare Planning Natal Killer Instinct?

Rare top brass talks about Killer Instinct, and how it would have to do something different with the franchise if it were to revisit it.

It's been thirteen years since the last Killer Instinct game, and Rare seems to be thinking that it might just be time for a new one. "It's about timing, and it's about the opportunity creatively and gameplay-wise that it would offer," said Rare studio head Mark Betteridge. "Street Fighter IV looked great and they've done a great job, and I'm a big fan of those products, but with KI we want to do something different rather than go back into that arena."

"I think it's about doing something different than with a conventional controller," he added.

Since Rare, and the Killer Instinct IP, has been gobbled up by Microsoft, it seems likely that any new Killer Instinct games will be Xbox 360 exclusives, much like the original two games were Nintendo exclusives. Fans have been clamoring for a new KI game for years, but if what Betteridge is saying does turn out to mean a Natal based game, would fans accept it?

Source: Video Games Daily [http://videogamesdaily.com/news/200911/killer-instinct-3-fights-for-natal-outing/] via Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/33380/Rare-implies-Natal-powered-Killer-Instinct]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I see alot of broken furniture and bones in the near future. And it will be awesome.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I see something alot of people have been waiting for ruined by a controller gimick

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i thought that Nintendo kept the KI ip. they were really good games tho, i had fun playing them in the arcade

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Prepare for a lot of people saying Microsoft ruined it once they get it, not blaming it on the developers choice at all.

It'd love to see KI as a fighter, as I never got to the play the last one. (I was too young.) So it'd be good if they made another broken YET awesome fighter game...Maybe something to usurp SF's crown, as I dislike that franchise.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I enjoyed the Killer Instinct game I played (can't remember which one).
It'd be a shame for that to be thrown away just for a different control method. What was wrong with it? If something's not broke, don't fix it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
squid5580 said:
I see alot of broken furniture and bones in the near future. And it will be awesome.
It's bad enough thinking how many thumbs have been worn down to nubs trying to execute that Dragon Punch motion on controllers... now you actually have to execute a Dragon Punch yourself?

Maybe I should start buying stock in various medical/pharmecutical companies....

cononking

Jun 16, 2009
Killer Instinct was one of my favourite SNES games. However, RARE not being the company it once was, I fear for the updated version. Look what happened to Perfect Dark.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest with you Natal doesn't really impress me so far. It's one of those things I look at with trepidation, fearing that it's some idiotic thing the industry will embrace to try and suck more money out of me, which I won't even want. The whole idea from what I've seen so far seems kind of ridiculous to me, and I think of it in a similar fashion to the PSP-Go being "digital content only" or more accuratly if someone was to say that the old "Virtual Boy" was to become the mandatory interface for new games.

A new Killer Instinct would be good, but with Natal as the control technology? Meh.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Man was not meant to perform Combo Breakers with appendages other than thumbs. Someone's going to get hurt by this, if it comes to pass.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Rare are still in business? IMNSHO most overrated developer ever that hasn't done anything good since the N64, and even then I would argue, to mostly def ears, that they didn't do anything spectacular. I couldn't even get through bad fur day. I said it! The Natal is a reactive gimmick created to react to industry fads that are ALREADY starting to die out. Ninendo's sales are already starting to wane because motion controls are a fad.

PapaJupe

Jul 31, 2006
Worgen said:
I see something alot of people have been waiting for ruined by a controller gimick
This.
I have no interest in Natal.
If I wanted a Wii, I would have a Wii.
I don't and I would like to keep the controller in my hand.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
cononking said:
Killer Instinct was one of my favourite SNES games. However, RARE not being the company it once was, I fear for the updated version. Look what happened to Perfect Dark.
This.

The devs and M$ are both going to ruin this sequel.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Worgen said:
bingo.

You won't get those amazing combos waving your hands around like a damn idiot. Buying RARE was Microsoft's biggest waste of money so far.