'Rassle Dazzle: A Wrestlemania Recap

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
'Rassle Dazzle: A Wrestlemania Recap

So what happened at the 30th installment of the annual pay-per-view event. MovieBob grapples with the results.

Read Full Article

linforcer

Sep 10, 2012
I take back what I said about being interested in this column every time (every week?).
I tried to read this, but for some reason this is a terribly uninteresting subject to me. I want to say it's because this was never a thing where I grew up, but The Big Picture has touched on so many things I knew very little about and they were all interesting... so I don't know.
Still looking forward to next time, though.

Also, I guess "instalment" has one "L" (source: my browser's spellcheck)

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
The official Cesaro/Swagger split happened in the aftermath of the tag title match you didn't see.

My favorite part of 21-1 was the fact that Lesnar's music didn't play for a good five minutes after the pin. Like even the SOUND GUYS were stunned. Just added to the somewhat surreal nature of it.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I find it amazing that wrestling is still this popular. I ate this stuff up in the 80s and early 90s but sort of grew out of it. I think it was overly retarded story lines that started popping up. I guess it's the recalling of my childhood because this article filled me with a little bit of sadness regarding the Undertaker.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
antidonkey said:
I find it amazing that wrestling is still this popular. I ate this stuff up in the 80s and early 90s but sort of grew out of it. I think it was overly retarded story lines that started popping up. I guess it's the recalling of my childhood because this article filled me with a little bit of sadness regarding the Undertaker.
Think Nascar. Cars drive, people "fight," an audience that measures its value in society by how much consumer junk it can buy gets its bread and circus for the week.

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
Chris Ingersoll said:
The official Cesaro/Swagger split happened in the aftermath of the tag title match you didn't see.

My favorite part of 21-1 was the fact that Lesnar's music didn't play for a good five minutes after the pin. Like even the SOUND GUYS were stunned. Just added to the somewhat surreal nature of it.
Because they may have been, Taker went to the hospital via ambulance directly after the match, so there's a running theory that he sustained a legit injury and couldn't finish the match as scripted.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
antidonkey said:
Think Nascar. Cars drive, people "fight," an audience that measures its value in society by how much consumer junk it can buy gets its bread and circus for the week.
Or we like our entertainment physical with some storytelling sprinkled in. Not everyone who watches WWE is comparable to the average NASCAR fan, but then I'd be amazed the day that someone didn't come out and say something that was a jab at another's intelligence or character for liking something. BTW, 90% of wrestling fans know its scripted, the other 10% are children who still believe in Santa and mentally handicapped folk. Also WWE is watched all over the world not just the USA.
You may not get this stuff, or why folk like it and thats well and good, but some of us see something of value in it (I daresay a lot more of us than you think).

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
You know what? I'm on board.

There's like 5 GoT things on the front page at the moment, and I have no interest in that. It's complete saturation with GoT everywhere lately (and that's fine for the people that liked it, but I'm not one of them). Having a break for something that I took an interest to in my childhood is a nice break.

So, sure most people complain that wrestling is too predictable and stale (example: John Cena). So when they have Undertake actually drop the streak to a part-timer. You know what? Great. You actually surprised the audience and reminded them that indeed, anything can happen.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Haven't been really interested in wrestlin in... many years, but this column was indeed an interesting read. And as also mentioned, there's so much GoT stuff flying around that it's a refreshing change.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Honestly still stunned Taker lost.

I know all the reasons that it should/could have happened and all but I won't lie - another piece of my childhood died just there.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Warrior wasn't there. Instantly don't care.

Um, he WAS there, he was going into their Hall of Fame, and gave a crazy long/amazing Shoot speech the night before.

But still, you know... Reading... Hard.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Danial said:
bdcjacko said:
Warrior wasn't there. Instantly don't care.

Um, he WAS there, he was going into their Hall of Fame, and gave a crazy long/amazing Shoot speech the night before.

But still, you know... Reading... Hard.
it is, I'm dyslexic. :(

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm actually ashamed to admit I walked away from the TV during the Taker/Lesner match. The build was pathetic beyond words and there was 0 part of me that didn't think Taker would walk away the winner. I came back about 10 seconds before the third F-5. Saw it happen, figured Taker would kick out so I walked into the kitchen to grab another soda.

Count 1, open the fridge. Count 2, reaching in for the soda. Then it happened. Count 3. I literally stopped mid-grab because I couldn't believe it. Taker doesn't lose at Wrestlemania, ever. In 21 years Taker has never lost. Its been a fixture of my life since I started watching wrestling when I was 12 years old. I ran back to the living room because I thought that maybe I just misheard the count, but there it was. Paul Heyman's shocked face, Lesnar standing in the ring, Undertaker flat on his back, the ref calling for the bell, and the silence. The complete and utter silence of the arena as everyone, including me, let the moment sink in. Undertaker had lost and a part of our childhood was lost with it. I sat there in complete disbelief, my eyes wide, my mouth just hanging open. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment, the moment that Undertaker lost at Wrestlemania 30.

I know to nonwrestling fans and casual fans will look at that and shake their head, probably even laugh. How could a person really give that much of a shit about something fake like wrestling. Its fake, its scripted, they're all just actors in a play, blah blah.

Aside from the actual bullshit of calling it fake (ask someone like Mick Foley how fake wrestling is), there's a connection there. Its not always there, sometimes you just don't get a wrestler, or you don't connect with their gimmick, or they just don't mesh in the ring and you become disinterested. However when that connection is on you really feel something. You feel terrible when someone who works hard and pays his dues gets the shaft over and over like with Daniel Bryan. You feel elated when that same person overcomes the odds, not just the odds but the very authority that kept them down and wins the title. You actually worry for something as strange as a winning streak at a PPV, then feel relief when it gets defended.

And last night, I felt disinterest for that same streak then heartbroken when it fell.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I was watching Takers match, it was getting better as it went along, then I swear I heard him say to lesnar:"Counter into F5" And I thought, this is the man that kicked out of sweet chin music and a pedigree at once, surely a third F5 is nothing? Then the 3 count hit. W.T.F. Devastation, completely and utterly. The part that gets me is that the buildup to the match was so terrible. That was the first thing that hit me. The second was that the WWE took a BIG gamble on how happy the crowd would be with Daniel Bryan winning the title after this. The third thing was this: Why would he lose to a part timer that didn't really need this for his career? It would have benefited someone like CM Punk far more, and since Punk faced him at last years WM, I think he could be quite pissed off because we all know his opinions on part timers...

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
A quick thought for those who like wrestling but are tired of folks assuming they are half-wits? speaking as someone who isn't a wrestling fan, it could be that what's causing the criticism is a pop-culture version of the Uncanny Valley. There's something simulated here which doesn't quite make it to a level our suspension of belief can deal with, so we reject it. (and, often, people who like it)

That's just a theory, but the more I think about it, the more it works. Of course I'm working only from my perspective so YMMV. It comes from realizing that while I'm not a wrestling fan I am certainly in no position to throw stones. I've got a healthy appreciation for pulp and no particular interest in defining my interests by what's considered 'age appropriate'.

Furthermore I...

a) like comic books, (well, some. I'm not One Of Those, but I can pass)
b) like most comic book related movies and
c) like martial arts movies

So it's decidedly weird to me that formulaic dialogue and fights scripted for a moral and physical spectacle, performed by athletes who are physical caricatures don't work for me. Actually, it's more than that - they leave me embarrassed. On some level I feel like I ought to like this, but it's so? something. And I can't.

Same thing, different subject - by a lot of social criteria I ought to love The Big Bang Theory. But I don't. Despite all the recommendations it always seems like this : http://pvponline.com/comic/2013/07/03/represent

The IT Crowd, on the other hand? brilliant! While equally scripted, it doesn't seem fake. And it has a laff trak.

Go figure.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
while watching The Undertaker match I was paying undivided attention because even though I was absolutely sure he was going to win, every year just might be his last match was my thinking, then it happened, I watched the 3-count happen and Paul Heyman rush in to celebrate, but his music wasn't playing so even while shocked I thought "wait a minute this has to be a suspense-move, any second now the Ref is gonna say he accidentally counted the 3 when a shoulder was up and restart the match" but that didn't happen, and while I always knew Taker would have to retire at some point, the streak ending to a part timer really shocked me, but then upon further thought it does make sense, any full-timer would never be able to be anything other than the one who broke the streak, their entire career would carry that moment as their sole accomplishment no matter how many more they had, and they obviously weren't going to give it to an up-and-comer who might pull a Hardy and embarrass everyone who ever knew them (worst case scenario), and as long as the streak was intact, Undertaker would be expected to come back every year, so I kinda get that it had to end, I just wish it wasn't to Brock Lesnar, it just doesn't seem right

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Browncoat86 said:
Chris Ingersoll said:

Because they may have been, Taker went to the hospital via ambulance directly after the match, so there's a running theory that he sustained a legit injury and couldn't finish the match as scripted.
Yeah I saw that today. I don't think that had any impact on the outcome (see also: Austin vs. Owen), but it undoubtedly took the quality down a notch or two.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Great article and add me to the list of people shocked the Undertaker lost. I knew he was getting old but losing to Lesnar? Come on, you'd have thought he'd have lost to someone who actually stays with the company for more than a few weeks a year.

I hope Kane does something horrible to Lesnar, going back to the old days when he'd put someone through a wall or something like that.

Also thanks for not writing something about Game of Thrones, never seen an episode and don't care for it at all. If you'd do a recap of Monday Night Raw every week that'd be amazing. Can't wait to see how tonight goes, again I hope badly for Lesnar and I wonder what Cesaro will do now. He does have a lot of talent so part of me is glad he won and I do like the Real Americans so I'm sad they broke up.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I havnt watched wrestling since 2002 but Undertaker should have lost to some one major. Not Brock. Should have been Triple H but with a load of people involved to make it impossible for taker to win. Oh well, its about time he left wrestling while his body is working - he has earned it.