Ratchet and Clank 3 :: a nostalgia heavy review

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
[img_inline caption="Ratchet and Clank 3" width="300" height="400" align="left"]http://ps2.9lives.be/files/images/packshots/large/2029-2.jpg[/img_inline]

[HEADING=1]A Stranger reviews[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]Ratchet and Clank 3[/HEADING]

[h4]Developer = Insomniac

Genre = Third-person shooter/ Platformer

Released for the Playstation 2[/h4]

[HEADING=1][HEADING=3][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Introduction[/HEADING]

The Ratchet and Clank series is one that I have always adored. I lapped up the first four games like an eager puppy for their great characters, funny cutscenes and over the top weaponry. I didn't end up buying the first PS3 instalment due to a lack of money, though when I did get my hands on it I found it to be more of the same fun. The most recent one however, has to this day completely alluded me because, well, I'd love to say it's because I'm more mature but really I've become an FPS junky as of late.

So as I'm bored and this is my favourite instalment in the series, I thought I would go ahead and review it.

[hr]

As I've previously stated, Ratchet and Clank 3 (released in some places with the subtitle "Up your Arsenal") is a third-person shooter with heavy emphasis on platforming. This is not just by splitting up the two genres, though there are often specific platforming sections. No, instead the two are perfectly integrated due to the slow moving enemy projectiles that will have you strafing and jumping to avoid being hit. This is added to with Clank's array of gadgetry that allows you to quickly boost to either side or shoot a few meters into the air.

The vast array of weapons is a staple to the Ratchet and Clank series, you buy weapons with bolts, the currency of the R&C universe and soon find yourself spoiled for choice. While many simply imitate current weapons, such as a shotgun, there are more imaginative additions such as a gun that propels razor-sharp discs and a Plasma Whip that appears to be a whip made of lava. The choice available allows the player to play in the way they want and also means you are never bored with the game. Unless you really have something against very well done third-person shooter/ platformers that is.

Ratchet and Clank 3 does the same to the rest of the game as it does with the weapons and gameplay, as in it's more of the same. Sure, there may be a slight tweak here, the controls may be tightened up there but what you get is basically a merge of all the good aspects from R&C 1 (great writing/ humour/ charm) and R&C 2 (faster gameplay/ RPG elements).

The writing overall in this game is very, very good. There's an overlying story arc about a super-villain named "Dr. Nefarious" trying to take over the galaxy and in the process, destroying all organic life forms. In terms of gameplay, the story does not really come into play until the last act, up until that point Ratchet is sent to collect something on this planet, destroy something in an asteroid field, rescue a certain person etc. All things that we've heard before. So why have I declared that the writing is good if it is not particularly original? It's because the sub-plots and the humour in this game are brilliant. I do not believe I have ever laughed so hard in any other game I've played.

The story mode it self lasts a fair while, being that this is predominantly a single-player game, but it's given just enough variety to stop it from becoming boring. Whether that be from boss fights, vehicle sections or arena battles. There is also plenty to do other than just ploughing through the campaign; collecting will take up a lot of your time in order to heal yourself, fund yourself and refill your ammo. There are also things like trophies and titanium bolts to be found that unlock some cosmetic easter-eggs that include options like "big-head" mode, or unlock skins.

The characters in Ratchet and Clank 3 are absolutely brilliant. Ratchet himself may not offer too much but Clank more than makes up for it with nerdy humour and sharp wit. On the other end of the scale you have Captain Quark who never fails to impress with his optimistic stupidity. Oddly enough, the character that really shines is Laurence, Dr. Nefarious' butler who encompasses the smart, stuck-up, English butler perfectly.

The RPG elements from the second game have been modified and improved on for Ratchet and Clank 3. Your health will increase steadily from 10 to the maximum of 200 by simply slaying thousands of enemies so you never have to focus on it. What you do need to focus on is the way that the guns upgrade. Killing enemies with a gun will earn that gun experience and eventually level it up to a maximum of 5. At each level the gun becomes more powerful and/or gains more functions, however when you reach the final level with the gun it will change into an entirely new one, more powerful than ever. To counter the possibility of a player sticking to one gun, the game makes sure that each gun is more powerful than the next so you are forced to keep trying new weapons in order to survive, adding to the appeal of the game significantly.

[hr]
To my mind, Ratchet and Clank 3 may not be challenging or indeed original, but it is possibly one of the best games that has ever been made. It is pure, unbridled fun that shouldn't be missed for the world. If you own a PS2 and have not played this game, then I suggest you run out now and buy it.

Previous Article = A Guide to Making your Review Look Good [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.201459-A-Guide-to-Making-your-Review-Look-Good]
Next Article = Portal 2 :: a "review" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.202572-Portal-2-a-review]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A great review of one of the best games I've ever played.

Nefarious and Laurence are the greatest comedy duo in gaming history.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Ahh, I have very fond memories of the first three Ratchet and Clank games. Tis a shame about Deadlocked, however...

Good review, as always. Some of the paragraphs seem a bit short, but that's more of a cosmetic nitpick. I guess I just don't like a review to be so divided.

The Scythian

Jun 8, 2010
Ah, Ratchet and Clank. This is one series that always impresses me. Deadlocked was a step down, but the announcers made up for it.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
Ahh, I have very fond memories of the first three Ratchet and Clank games. Tis a shame about Deadlocked, however...

Good review, as always. Some of the paragraphs seem a bit short, but that's more of a cosmetic nitpick. I guess I just don't like a review to be so divided.
I think Deadlocked was released as Gladiator over here, I kinda liked it though, mainly because I'm such a huge fan of the arena battles. It wasn't as good as the first 3 admittedly.

The review itself is pretty short, I was trying to scale things down a bit since I've been breeching the 2000 word mark on some of my recent ones So I set myself a timer of 1 hour and didn't let myself go over that.

Enemy Of The State said:
And all the innuendo.
"Ratchet, my daughter tells me you're a man who's good with his hands"

Is the only one off the top of my head.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
Enemy Of The State said:
I loved that game. Great review, and its good that someone else remembers this blast from the past.

And all the innuendo.
Ah seen him run right through our camping site! He was buck nekkid...screaming, an holding a bananer. Or, or maybe it weren't a bananer...it mighta been *abrupt transition* ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!

Generator

May 8, 2009
Good review; it brought back some fond memories of that game. Personally, I always enjoyed the second more, in terms of gameplay, as it seemed to focus more on the platforming than the combat whereas the third did just the opposite. Still, I absolutely love the whole series.

And the third one is definitely the funniest. My favorite line from a video game is when you're playing on the Starport level, and they announce over the intercom that: "Due to increased security, hypothermal nuclear warheads, and nail clippers, are no longer permitted as carry-on baggage." That one gets me every time.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
vivadelkitty said:
Enemy Of The State said:
I loved that game. Great review, and its good that someone else remembers this blast from the past.

And all the innuendo.
Ah seen him run right through our camping site! He was buck nekkid...screaming, an holding a bananer. Or, or maybe it weren't a bananer...it mighta been *abrupt transition* ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!
When I first played the game I was too young to get that.
Choppaduel said:
well sold me on it. next opportunity I'm picking up a copy.
You won't regret it.