Ratchet and Clank... Are getting a movie?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
So this is a thing.

Lol wut?

Ok I am afraid this will go to hell in a hand basket. I have always Loved Ratchet and Clank. When I first got my PS2 the 2 games I got with it were Sly 2 and Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal. Since then I have played every PS2 Ratchet game, and when I finally get a PS3 I will most likely get the PS3 games.

I really hope that this movie will not bomb because I really do not want to see Some of my favorite Childhood characters crash and burn like most do when put to the big screen.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
OHHH MY GOD.

I literally suggested this in one of those "What game should be made into a movie" threads not so long ago!

These are some of my favourite games ever and that was partly because of the characters and humour :) I can't wait for this!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
The top two comments below the video sum up my feelings on this:

"Don't fuck this up"

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Well the trailer wasn't half bad, but I can't shake the feeling that the film is just going to be crap. Also, Ratchet was way too child-like in that trailer :/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
*inhale*....... No.

I'm sorry, but as much as I love Ratchet and Clank, these characters aren't "beefy" enough for a feature length film. I sense awkward comedy and pop culture references.

Still, pretty cool we're getting the original voice actors, I guess.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
*inhale*....... No.

I'm sorry, but as much as I love Ratchet and Clank, these characters aren't "beefy" enough for a feature length film. I sense awkward comedy and pop culture references.

Still, pretty cool we're getting the original voice actors, I guess.
This...

I think they would be better with an average duration animation, of like 30 minutes. That could work.

1 hour and half is kinda hardcore at the moment.

Also OMG!!! YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET 100000TH POST! keep up the good work!

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
my first thoughts: "Oh God no please no"

Do not get me wrong a ratchet and clank movie can work but im really really don't want it to be. not only did they hand it off to be made by Rainmaker studios well known for making all those straight dvd barbie films with about as much depth as you can expect from it and some other not really worth mentioning movies. and Blockade Entertainment well known for...doing heavenly swords trailer and that's about it. if they would have handed it off to a studio like Pixar, Dreamworks, hell even Disney because at least i know they have the experience to do this game justice in this type of media. now i may be jumping to conclusions and over reacting a bit but as a fan of this series i am hoping that they do not F#$% this up.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Just saw this today a bit earlier actually.
Looks pretty good so far. The humor is intact, the animation is pretty nice, and all the original voice actors are involved.

I'm 'cited. : D

codeg

Apr 23, 2011
Well, according to articles I have read the script is being written by the writer of all of the Ratchet and Clank games, T.J. Fixman. So that sort of balances out the awfulness of being made by Rainmaker Studios.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Ehhhhh...I don't know. The last Ratchet and Clank product was rife with bad pop culture references and little long term humor like the older ones had. Besides that, the main reason why I played the games was because of the ridiculous weaponry. It was fun getting to use the different weapons to beat the levels in fun ways.

And I feel bad because my last few comments on this site have been about how this site has been extremely pessimistic on certain things...but I actually have seen this series turn stale with time, so the idea of another Ratchet and Clank thing just seems like it's beating a dead horse. And with it being a movie, I just don't see it translating into everything that was great about the games, because they were just that. Games. That's what made them fun. The cutscenes were fun and funny, don't get me wrong, I just don't see it translating well into an hour and a half long thing with no gameplay to break it up what-so-ever.

But, besides that, if they actually took a serious approach instead of trying to just get laughs, I could see this work. The Future series were not the best in gameplay(Commando took that), but in terms of narrative, they were great. They had the mixture of humor and story that the first one had, except that the story was even better this time. It's an interesting universe to explore, and if it turns out that the movie would be doing something in that direction, then I am fully behind this.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
This.......could...actually...be...good?

I mean, I could actually see this is a fairly good action-comedy flick. The biggest thing I worry about though is it all coming across as just too cheesy. This trailer, while having its funny moments, did seem like it could be matured up a bit, but I would really like to see this do well.

And thank god it's not live-action.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I'm not really sure how I feel about this. This could go either way, so I'm going to wait and see. But with both the original voice actors and the humor, I'm not going to write it off... yet.
jollybarracuda said:
And thank god it's not live-action.
When I first saw the thread, I thought "Oh god in heaven, do not be live action!". I'm super thankful that it's not.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
I'm actually excited for this. Ratchet & Clank is one of my favorite franchises out there and I can really see it becoming a movie. Because of the way the story is it can really go anywhere with the plot.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
An excellent idea, I say. If the movie bombs, I still have awesome games to comfort me. The only thing I worry about is when the movie is set. One of reasons that the games are so great is that the characters develop over time in every game. If they set the movie after the PS3 games, and make the characters how they were at that point, the audience would miss out on tons of back story.But then I wouldn't want to watch a rehash of any of the games. Unless it's a good rehash.

Anyways, I wish the creators all the best in this endeavor, mosly so that I won't waste my money.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure if any one Ratchet game is big enough to fill a feature-length film. So hopefully they decide to use more than one, rather than stuff a bunch of worthless filler in.

All in all, I'm cautiously optimistic. Leaning on the side of super goddamned excited.

candle

Sep 27, 2012
I'm really really excited for this, and it's mostly because the people at rainmaker entertainment (recent staight-to-dvd barbie films aside) are the people that brought us this [http://www.g33k-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/reboot.jpg]

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I don't think it's going to give me cancer, but I highly doubt it's going to be original Shrek great.

They kept the original Voice Actors, so that's a nod to it's favor at least.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
I don't think it's going to give me cancer, but I highly doubt it's going to be original Shrek great.

They kept the original Voice Actors, so that's a nod to it's favor at least.
I friggen love the original Shrek. :D

But yeah, here's hoping this turns out good. *fingers crossed*