Ratchet & Clank - A Watered-Down Version of the Video Games

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Ratchet & Clank - A Watered-Down Version of the Video Games

Ratchet & Clank recieves its first reboot with both a feature-length film and a new game.

Stick with the game.

Read Full Article

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
WOOOOOOO! MARTER IS BACK! XD
...Just kinda wish that the movie was good.

Kinda a shame really, I think that the setting of the games would, if nothing else, make for a great cartoon.
Like all those little cutscenes in Ratchet & Clank 3, like "ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!" and "Agent Clank".

Oh well, better luck next time...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CINEMARTER LIIIIIIIIIIVES

Aaaand of course the great comeback is a slightly terrible video game movie. Figures. xD

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
To paraphrase Brian Blessed: "Marter's ALIIVE!"

Why is it that video game movies are crap even when the games have a good plot, characters, and writing?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ayyyy, CineMarter's back :D

Just a shame the movie was a bit shit. The most interesting fact about it then is still that one of the known accomplices of ex-Escapists, LoadingReadyRun, Andy Cownden is in it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Just a shame the movie was a bit shit. The most interesting fact about it then is still that one of the known accomplices of ex-Escapists, LoadingReadyRun, Andy Cownden is in it.
Andy "Slumped In An Alley Licking Olive Oil Off My Hands" Cownden was in it?

Well, I guess it had to reach that 1 1/2 star rating somehow...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RACHECT AND CLANK HAS NOT BEEN GOOD SINCE DEADLOCKED/GLADIATOR!!!!

There I said it, this series has lost its balls because of a SEVER change of tone and direction with the first game of the Future Trilogy, Tools of Destruction. It became TOO CHILDISH and PIXAR-LIKE!!!

Don't believe me let me show you scenes from the first 4 games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pteT_UD3COE

https://youtu.be/ssAWEDrMOPM?t=896

https://youtu.be/SCFKaVPnIeg?t=464

Now this is the tone for the shitty Future Trilogy:

https://youtu.be/1pOdET5PW1I?t=167

I'm not even gonna upload Quest for Booty cutscenes. The tone is just WRONG!!!!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What a coincidence that the biggest fault of the remake (eventhough it is really good) being all the times the movie assests intrude on the game. All the new character designs from the movie, all the (cut)scenes from the movie, all the new voice actors from the movie; It's all just limp by comparison.
09philj said:
Why is it that video game movies are crap even when the games have a good plot, characters, and writing?
I wouldn't say the games have good plot, characters or writing, they just work well with the concept of being a cat creature blowing up aliens and robots with crazy guns. It's at its best when it's just goofy shenanigans in between the blasting, NOT when it's trying to be all profound and meaningful. This is what's been sort of killing the franchise; the need for origin and drama.
Diablo1099 said:
Kinda a shame really, I think that the setting of the games would, if nothing else, make for a great cartoon.
Like all those little cutscenes in Ratchet & Clank 3, like "ONE OF NATURE'S MYSTERIES!" and "Agent Clank".

Oh well, better luck next time...
I always imagined a Samurai Pizza Cats type show. I fear the time that this game series had any sort of edge to its humor is looong gone though.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Marter rebooted, reimagined and redefined for this rebooted remake with revengeance. Can we call you Marter the white now?

I can see why producers would see this franchise as a great IP to seamlessly integrate into movie profits, but it appears they forgot that you still need talent to screenwrite a game to a film, no matter how film-like it may already appear. Whether it does well at the box-office may be down to whatever marketing tactics they impliment here. Am enjoying the game immensely though, so it's not all bad. Edit: I hope tbey at least put Mr Zurkon in the film. His one-liners have been perhaps the only funny highlights of the game so far, he is a character more than weapon...we have bonded.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Andy Shandy said:

Andy "Slumped In An Alley Licking Olive Oil Off My Hands" Cownden was in it?

Well, I guess it had to reach that 1 1/2 star rating somehow...
Shoulda made him Ratchet AND Clank. Instant 5 stars, obviously. :D

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
A Crack in Time got a bit better tone wise. Unfortunately it still insisted on elaborating on that dumb origins shit. Also the weapons and enemies were garbage.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
A Crack in Time got a bit better tone wise. Unfortunately it still insisted on elaborating on that dumb origins shit. Also the weapons and enemies were garbage.
Yes like the overly useless burp cannon.

Honestly despite some interesting additions to the gameplay the Future games just felt....Lesser?

I mean Tools of Drestruction felt like it had half the content that was offered in Up Your Arsnal and focused on gimmicky weapons like the Disco Ball thing :p

A Crack in Time was probably the only good one because it felt closest to the older games but that's it and by that time I felt the games was just recycling the formula.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just got back from the theater. I'm more upset with the time I lost than the money I spent on the ticket. I think that was the worst adaptation. Of all time. It had one tiny bit of soul earlish on with an easter egg, but otherwise, it was a hollow, shallow brightly-lit, boring, movie. There was hardly a plot, there was even less of a connection to the game that...inspired it? I found myself drifting off, daydreaming about the actual game I had been playing hours earlier. It was an assault on the eyes, in the way too many background things are too attention grabbing, so it all just blurred into a mess.

Honestly, even if you think it's your duty to see this because you grew up with them...don't. Cuz that's what I did and I regret nearly every second of it.

They should have finished Into the Nexus. This was a shit-show.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
EHKOS said:
I just got back from the theater. I'm more upset with the time I lost than the money I spent on the ticket. I think that was the worst adaptation. Of all time. It had one tiny bit of soul earlish on with an easter egg, but otherwise, it was a hollow, shallow brightly-lit, boring, movie. There was hardly a plot, there was even less of a connection to the game that...inspired it? I found myself drifting off, daydreaming about the actual game I had been playing hours earlier. It was an assault on the eyes, in the way too many background things are too attention grabbing, so it all just blurred into a mess.

Honestly, even if you think it's your duty to see this because you grew up with them...don't. Cuz that's what I did and I regret nearly every second of it.

They should have finished Into the Nexus. This was a shit-show.
Like I said before Ratchet has not been good since Deadlocked/Gladiator. (Or if you want to go even furthur the first 2 PSP games)

The Future games just ruined so much of the franchise for me with the sudden change of Tone and Direction.

The downgrade from Rated T to E10 was not a good one :p

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Yes like the overly useless burp cannon.

Honestly despite some interesting additions to the gameplay the Future games just felt....Lesser?

I mean Tools of Drestruction felt like it had half the content that was offered in Up Your Arsnal and focused on gimmicky weapons like the Disco Ball thing :p

A Crack in Time was probably the only good one because it felt closest to the older games but that's it and by that time I felt the games was just recycling the formula.
Well, the two things a Ratchet and Clank game need to be at least good are fun weapons and enemies that are fun to blast. Tools of Destruction still had that. The Mag-Net Launcher and Alpha Disrupter are two of my favourite weapons in the franchise, and the Drophyd enemies were a delight. I can't think of any enemy in the franchise that goes from killer combat droid to helpless goldfish gasping in terror as you point a gun in its face.

And Into the Nexus added the jetpack sections and saw a nice return of Thugs-4-Less. This new remake expands on the jetpack sections and adds the bells and whistles of current processing power to the weapons of old. And the Pixelizer is an absolute joy.

My main issue with the series since Future began is really the kiddie-fied sensibilities, and it's attempts at trying to make this universe and its characters into a thing. I suppose it's just the gaming landscape we live in now, where AAA-games aren't allowed to be random, goofy shit anymore. Everything now needs to mean something and have an origin.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Cinamarter Returns: Unpredictable
Another Sony Movie Sucks: Predictable
Full Frontal Nerdity still on The Escapist: Unpredictable

The next thing that happens now has to be predictable.
I'm going to guess that it will be a Keanu Review.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I haven't seen it, but from what reviews I've read I am left really disappointed :( Ratchet and Clank is probably my favorite game series of all time; I've been waiting for this movie for a long while. To find out that it's not good is a major bummer.

That it fails to display a variety of amusing weapons seems like one of the bigger missteps. That's what the series was all about >_>

I guess I'll console myself with the game...oh wait I don't have a PS4. sigh

Nov 28, 2007
I am not surprised the movie wasn't good, but I'm not familiar with the R&C games as a whole. Still, heard the new game was pretty good.

AND MARTER IS BACK! *blows party horns*

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
He died so that he could return and sucker punch us with this lemon AND IS BACK BABY.

But I'm still seeing it because you can't not see a movie that has Paul Giamatti and John Goodman in the voice cast.

We also get a couple of montages, lots of shots of the villains being evil, one or two "twists" that won't surprise anyone over the age of eight, and very little usage of Ratchet's wrench, surprisingly.