Ratchet & Clank Studio Turns to Facebook for Outernauts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ratchet & Clank Studio Turns to Facebook for Outernauts

Insomniac's new game is like a sci-fi Pokemon.

Though an independent studio, Insomniac is best known by gamers for its close relationship with Sony that brought us popular PlayStation-exclusive franchises like Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance. In recent years, Insomniac has Overstrike [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100905-Insomniac-Goes-Multiplatform-After-16-Years-of-Sony] at last years' E3. Its newest project, though, isn't on any traditional gaming platform at all.

Outernauts will be Insomniac's first foray into the world of social gaming on Facebook. The game will put players into the role of one of United Earth's elite Outernauts, a group of adventurers tasked with exploring the galaxy and encountering strange new alien species in equally strange new worlds.

Players must catch these alien monsters and train them to do battle, which makes this sound more than a little like a sci-fi social game version of Pokemon. I'm okay with that, actually.

"We see a huge opportunity to reach an entirely different audience of gamers through Facebook," said Ted Price, President and Founder of Insomniac Games in the official Outernauts reveal. "As we have demonstrated for nearly twenty years in the console games space, we're confident we can help evolve the definition of a game experience on Facebook. With Outernauts, we are delivering a deep story with real RPG strategy, coupled with Insomniac's signature sense of humor."

Tell you what, Insomniac - as long as you don't go the Smurfberries route [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107662-Eight-Year-Old-Girl-Blows-1400-on-Smurfberries], we're cool.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Richardplex said:
My love of Insomniac or my disinterest of FB games, I wonder which is stronger?
Unfortunately, my distaste of games on Facebook leaves me in the curious position of having no desire whatsoever to play something made by Insomniac.

Just another spam machine to block.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Got this via their newsletter... I was pretty damn shocked when I saw the word "Facebook," but I trust Insomniac. They're awesome.

Still, Overstrike is what I'm really excited about! So much want!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I'm holding out for the "gritty" Pokemon... you know, where the monsters you catch and fight actually look like their being seriously harmed, die when Pokemon get knocked "unconscious", and make you feel bad that you're, essentially, a scifi/fantasy dog-fighter.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Insomniac's turned to Facebook? Oh, well there goes Ratchet & Clank...

I hope the game's tone is more "Alien Nine" than Pokemon, though.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Lancer873 said:
Got this via their newsletter... I was pretty damn shocked when I saw the word "Facebook," but I trust Insomniac. They're awesome.

*checks wikipedia page* Insomniac, why you still no make this for PC? I have friends I want to play this with there D:
[small]I mean really, I don't recall EA being stingy about PC ports before, wtf guys [/small]

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Did Insomniac just leave Sony... for Electronic Arts...?
ronald1840 said:
Insomniac's turned to Facebook? Oh, well there goes Ratchet & Clank...

I hope the game's tone is more "Alien Nine" than Pokemon, though.
I don't think Facebook is the one we have to worry about...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Normally, I don't spend much time on Facebook, but this looks like a game I could get into...

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Richardplex said:
Lancer873 said:

*checks wikipedia page* Insomniac, why you still no make this for PC? I have friends I want to play this with there D:
[small]I mean really, I don't recall EA being stingy about PC ports before, wtf guys [/small]
I'm assuming it'll have splitscreen multiplayer, since it is a co-op game, so I'd say it makes a bit of sense to have it be console-exclusive, but I certainly wouldn't object to PC.
... EA, if you guys decide to cut splitscreen, I will personally ensure you are unable to communicate with Insomniac games ever again.