Ray Kurzweil Predicts Human Immortality in 20 Years

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ray Kurzweil Predicts Human Immortality in 20 Years

Ray Kurzweil theorizes that in around 20 years we could all be immortal cyborgs.

Ray Kurzweil is a scientist, inventor, author, futurist... well, let's just say he's a smart guy. In some of his recent writings he predicts that the technology shown in videogames like Metal Gear Solid 4 could actually become a reality. If Ray Kurzweil is correct, Old Snake and Cyborg Raiden would be just another two dudes walking down the street.

Basically, Kurzweil believes that human understandings of genes and computer technology are advancing so fast that in around 20 years we could incorporate nanotechnology into our very bodies. Kurzweil says that this nanotechnology would "reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing. Then nanotechnology will let us live for ever." I hope the man is right, because ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a Highlander, and this way I wouldn't have to go around chopping off everyone's head.

If immortality doesn't grab you, Kurzweil believes that nanotechnology will also make us cyborgs that can do really cool things. Have trouble holding your breath underwater? Kurzweil says nanobots will allow you to take a four hour dive. Get tired when you run? The same nanobots will also allow you to sprint for 15 minutes. Artificial limbs and organs will not only be used for medical use, but apparently for recreational use too.

And, writing this article requires a bit of thought on my part, but it won't once I get my injection of nanotechnology. Nanobots could also boost our intelligences so that we will be able to "write books within minutes," according to Kurzweil. The mental alteration doesn't end there either; Kurzweil also predicts that we will be able to shut down our brains to go into "virtual-reality mode." Once in this mode, we would be able to see or do anything, including "virtual sex [which] will become commonplace." Of course, this is all speculation, but theoretically possible someday.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html]

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Fuck yes!

I just hope this isn't another "We'll have flying cars by year 2000!"-thing.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
pfff, I've had my immortal robotic body on pre-order for 3 years, you're all gonna have to wait in line, I'm going for the midnight release.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Well, some sixtie's science magazine said that "Time machines will be invented before the year 2000"

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Ha, ha ha, oh god that's hilarious. Does anyone really believe that this kind of thing ever works out the way everyone says it will? And why is everyone so afraid of dying? Living forever seems like a worse fate...

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
It would be cool as long as it doesn't end up like that "Surgate" stuff. I'd wait a couple years until I'm sure it's safe.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Cajt said:
Fuck yes!

I just hope this isn't another "We'll have flying cars by year 2000!"-thing.
Alas, that's exactly what I think this is. As cool as it could be, even if we have the power to pull it off (as we technically do with flying cars), the logistics would be a nightmare. If nobody dies but people are still born, you'll have an explosive population. Then what? Bans on childbirth? Somehow I don't see the right-wing fundamentalists going for that (or cyborg-inducing nanotechnology for that matter). But it doesn't stop it from being a cool idea, just not a very practical one.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
"Kurzweil says that this nanotechnology would "reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing."

I guess he never did his homework, or has no idea how/why ageing really works. Yet, it is nice to dream, since nanotechnology is one of the newest phlebotinum in sci-fi realm...

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
If the people who made similar predictions 20 years ago were right we would all be driving around in Jetson Style Hovercars and yet I still have to cycle to work

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I call shenanigans, Mr Kurzweil.
Nanotechnology isn't advancing fast enough, and progress into making conducting polymers that won't be rejected by the body is is pretty slow too. At least according to what I've been studying.

Also, if you want to stop aging, you'll have to kill off all the free radicals in the body - which are required for certain essential biological processes. Even if they weren't a necessary part of the body's mechanisms, the amount of antioxidants needed to get rid of all those radicals would almost certainly exceed the fatal dose.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Just because the current trends say that we will be there soon doesn't mean that we won't get derailed, sidetracked, or just plain stopped on the way. Nothing stays the same forever.