Rayman Legends Missing Content on Vita

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rayman Legends Missing Content on Vita

Gamers have discovered that Rayman Legends on Vita is missing 28 levels from the console versions.

Despite <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124390-Rayman-Legends-Coming-to-Vita>earlier claims from Ubisoft that the Vita version of Rayman Legends would include all of the same content as the console editions, unhappy players are discovering that that may not be the case. Gamers, posting on <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666497>NeoGAF, have apparently discovered that 28 twenty "Invasion" stages, levels remixed with new layouts and obstacles, are missing from the game. The missing levels also apparently reduce the overall number of collectibles in the game, dropping them from 700 to 615.

The Vita version does include several exclusive touch screen challenges, but these are arguably little conciliation for gamers who bought the game rightfully expecting it to be equivalent to the console release. Currently, Ubisoft has no comment on why the Vita version is different from what the company described in <a href=http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/772276-Ubisoft-announces-rayman%C2%AE-legends-leaping-onto-playstation%C2%AE-vita>earlier announcements.

This turn of events is a definite shame, especially considering how <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/rayman-legends>generally well-received Rayman Legends has been by fans and critics alike. It's an especial problem for the Vita which, despite receiving a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127038-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Price-Cut>recent price drop, could still arguably use a better library to help hook gamers still apprehensive about investing in it. A portable Rayman Legends, much like <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/rayman-origins>Rayman Origins before it, should have been a boon to the system. This news, however, could lead to gamers potentially passing over the Vita version and sticking to consoles instead.

Source: <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666497>NeoGAF via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-rayman-legends-owners-discover-vita-version-is-missing-28-levels>Eurogamer

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Glad I didn't get this yet, was going to get the Vita version after how much I enjoyed Origins on it. Annoying how no reviewers picked up on it either.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm sure they can be patched in and then unlocked as DLC. Maybe they are already included with the game and just waiting to be unlocked (for money)?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Do Vita games have some kind of size restriction, meaning they had to cut stuff out? Other than that I don't see why they would cut content unless they planned to monetise it as DLC later on or it was catastrophically bugged on that version somehow.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
*sigh* went to cancel my order with Amazon, but it was too late. I played the shit out of Origins, so I was really looking forward to getting Legends on Vita. Oh well, with any luck they might release it later.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Do Vita games have some kind of size restriction, meaning they had to cut stuff out? Other than that I don't see why they would cut content unless they planned to monetise it as DLC later on or it was catastrophically bugged on that version somehow.
Even if there was such a restriction it's definitely not the case here. Rayman Legends takes like 2GB on PS3. I have several vita games that are more than 4GB.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I guess it doesn't count as "False Advertising" if Ubisoft makes the claim outside of an ad?
Why lie? (well apart from reselling the cut content at a premium later)

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Hehehehe...Sorry Vita guys, this does suck for you, but I had a hard time imagining that they'd be able to cram an entire console game on a handheld without it suffering somehow.

Captcha: Pants on the ground. Sounds about right. That's what it felt like since they delayed it the first time to make it multiplatform...

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
That sucks. How much was the price of the vita version compared to console?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SilverBullets000 said:
Hehehehe...Sorry Vita guys, this does suck for you, but I had a hard time imagining that they'd be able to cram an entire console game on a handheld without it suffering somehow.
Dragon's Crown, Muramasa: Rebirth, Persona 4 Golden, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, Disgaea 3, Monster Hunter 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc.

Unless you extend "suffering somehow" to cover lowered resolution/potentially unwieldier controls.

There's no reason caused by the Vita hardware for its version of Rayman to be missing levels.

I'll retain final judgement until Ubisoft releases an official statement on the matter (if they even do), but for now it sounds like it's just them being wankers.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Dragon's Crown, Muramasa: Rebirth, Persona 4 Golden, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, Disgaea 3, Monster Hunter 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc.
Most of those games were either made up of sprite art (not complaining though, I love that style) or are games released on the previous generation's consoles first.

Unless you extend "suffering somehow" to cover lowered resolution/potentially unwieldier controls.
And that's generally what I meant. I suppose I do owe some apology though, I tend to get stuck in GBA mentality here and there, even though the DS itself proved it could play more modern games without much of a hitch. I still tend to assume there will be some big difference between the two versions due to tech differences.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
SilverBullets000 said:
shrekfan246 said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Most of those games were either made up of sprite art (not complaining though, I love that style) or are games released on the previous generation's consoles first.

And that's generally what I meant. I suppose I do owe some apology though, I tend to get stuck in GBA mentality here and there, even though the DS itself proved it could play more modern games without much of a hitch. I still tend to assume there will be some big difference between the two versions due to tech differences.
There are plenty of other games to cite though. For instance, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was identical to the console version. DOA5 on the Vita actually had more content than the console version did. There are some games that suffer from frame rates, but that has to do with poor optimization above all else. But, Rayman is also made up of sprite art, and is very very similar to Origins, speaking only of graphics of course. There is not complicated gameplay in the games what so ever.

OT: Ubisoft is not particularly good at doing this kind of thing. They are constantly doing the old bait and switch on games like this. I will chalk it up to bad business practices and poor spending. There is literally zero reason to cut anything out of this game on the Vita. It should be interesting to see what they have to say, if they decide to say anything at all. They are typically a full steam ahead type of publisher with little or no care about what anyone actually thinks.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Looks like the Vita version won't be gimped after all, as Ubisoft have addressed the issue a few hours ago on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.553095484739941.1073741835.488074291242061&type=1&comment_id=5382846&offset=0&total_comments=12

"Due to a longer development time than
expected, we couldn?t initially include the Invasion Mode ? essentially,
a second take on existing Rayman Legends maps -- in the Vita version of
the game. However, we can confirm that the Invasion Mode will be added via a free patch, at a later date.
With more than 100 levels, online Coop and challenges, Kung-Foot
mini-game, 5 exclusive touch challenges developed specifically for the
VITA and 2 exclusive costumes, Rayman Legends already includes a lot for
customers to love, and features the same outstanding graphics and
gameplay design as the home console versions."

It's nice to know that Vita owners will still get these levels after all, though on a personal level, I wasn't too bummed out about the lack on a bunch of challenge levels that are just remixes... Still would have been stupid if we didn't get them, but as long as the main game is there, I didn't care.

Though the part from that statement that has me scratching my head is the whole "longer dev time meant we couldn't include those levels....in time...." Wut?

You had MORE TIME to work on the game, wouldn't that mean this sort of issue would never have transpired!? This is the kind of shit that results in LESS dev time, not MORE.

Silly Ubisoft...at least you're not charging Vita owners for this.