Razzie Awards Eyeing Transformers 3 for Nomination List

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
koroem said:
And yet it, like all the other TF movies, continues to dominate at the box office. Apparently the disconnect between audiences and reviewers/outspoken internet commenters is bigger than you all realize.

It must be doing something right to make money, and I don't buy "the mindless sheep throw money at crap" argument.
And the twilight series is a shining literary/movie achievement because of all the money it makes. The Transformers triology is a finely tuned laser homed in its target demographic of "red blooded young teenage male". Its certainly reflective of the series level of maturity, and respect of its audience intelligence. It would also explain the shoehorned story of "loser teenage boy trying to get with hot chickzzz."

Honestly, I'm beyond caring if people enjoyed the transformers. I thought the first was barely passable, but the second was easily one of the worst movies I've seen(Seriously, what in the world was going on in that movie?). Bay is just some dude the execs use to garner cash so they can fund other projects. Cameron is the man if you want a great summer blockbuster on all fronts.(Terminator 2 <3)

And if you want a fantastic movie with awesome action, watch 13 assassins. It will make you forget Transformers rather quickly....

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Condiments said:
koroem said:
And yet it, like all the other TF movies, continues to dominate at the box office. Apparently the disconnect between audiences and reviewers/outspoken internet commenters is bigger than you all realize.

It must be doing something right to make money, and I don't buy "the mindless sheep throw money at crap" argument.
And the twilight series is a shining literary/movie achievement because of all the money it makes. The Transformers triology is a finely tuned laser homed in its target demographic of "red blooded young teenage male". Its certainly reflective of the series level of maturity, and respect of its audience intelligence. It would also explain the shoehorned story of "loser teenage boy trying to get with hot chickzzz."

Honestly, I'm beyond caring if people enjoyed the transformers. I thought the first was barely passable, but the second was easily one of the worst movies I've seen(Seriously, what in the world was going on in that movie?). Bay is just some dude the execs use to garner cash so they can fund other projects. Cameron is the man if you want a great summer blockbuster on all fronts.(Terminator 2 <3)

And if you want a fantastic movie with awesome action, watch 13 assassins. It will make you forget Transformers rather quickly....
I can't stand Twilight, but I also can't deny that it captures its target audience, and does it well. I don't think anyone who set out to make Twilight or Transformers, or anything other summer blockbuster for that matter, set out with the goal to make a literary masterpiece. They goal was to make entertainment, and make money. They succeed masterfully to this end.

It is the other people, who watch this, with a chip on their shoulder, deciding that these flicks are not worthy of being hall of fame, or emmy, or whatever worthy. They sit on their high horses and attempt to tell other people what is good, what is bad, what they should like, and what they shouldn't.

All opinion reviews are shit and I have no idea why people put any kind of consideration into them. They are not me, and can not tell me what I enjoy. It is sickening to watch people put so much stock into this crap.

Are there better movies sure, but don't ruin my enjoyment of it by forcing meaningless awards and scathing reviews. These all work to change how the movies end up being made, and not always for the better.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Woodsey said:
Cue the comments on elitist reviewers and how "Its not that bad if you just leave your brain at the door and have some fun".

You want to know why the Razzies exist? Because of those two fucking excuses.
I'll be honest with you, I'm not following your point.

Because regardless of the quality of the movies, the Transformer trilogy is definitely being impacted by a communal negative sensation that people are allowing to impair their decision making, which I guess people could call elitest.

Proof? 1, Many, many people have been badmouthing the movies without actually seeing them. If I ask you if you've seen Dark Side, I reckon there's about a 50% chance the truthful answer is no.

2. A lot of the complaints are directed at the character of the director. Which is no standard to be judging a film by. I'll admit it, Michael Bay gives the impression he's a douche (although we can't know that) and I myself have viewed the films a lot less positively than when I first saw them (I originally loved them) when I found out more about Michael Bay and the films hatedom.

3. Millions of people love these films and pay to go see them, yet that isn't reflected by the general opinion of discussion.

Me? Who am I to say the standard I pick is the correct one? I'm not going to write off the opinions of that many people because I'm not one of them. What's more I'm very unwilling to think of my opinion as better than that of those people and write them off as people because they chose a movie.

And your second point? Why not? I would say that for the most part, the entire purpose of the entertainment genre is to leave people's brains at the door. The percentage of media that results in useful output is very low. The Escapist, despite it's attempts to be high class, is in the end filling your head with trivia and opinions that don't really further humanity.

And that's probably not a bad thing.

Your opinion is awesome and valid, but it doesn't imply that other opinions are less awesome and valid

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Woodsey said:
Cue the comments on elitist reviewers and how "Its not that bad if you just leave your brain at the door and have some fun".

You want to know why the Razzies exist? Because of those two fucking excuses.
I'll be honest with you, I'm not following your point.

Because regardless of the quality of the movies, the Transformer trilogy is definitely being impacted by a communal negative sensation that people are allowing to impair their decision making, which I guess people could call elitest.

Proof? 1, Many, many people have been badmouthing the movies without actually seeing them. If I ask you if you've seen Dark Side, I reckon there's about a 50% chance the truthful answer is no.

2. A lot of the complaints are directed at the character of the director. Which is no standard to be judging a film by. I'll admit it, Michael Bay gives the impression he's a douche (although we can't know that) and I myself have viewed the films a lot less positively than when I first saw them (I originally loved them) when I found out more about Michael Bay and the films hatedom.

3. Millions of people love these films and pay to go see them, yet that isn't reflected by the general opinion of discussion.

Me? Who am I to say the standard I pick is the correct one? I'm not going to write off the opinions of that many people because I'm not one of them. What's more I'm very unwilling to think of my opinion as better than that of those people and write them off as people because they chose a movie.

And your second point? Why not? I would say that for the most part, the entire purpose of the entertainment genre is to leave people's brains at the door. The percentage of media that results in useful output is very low. The Escapist, despite it's attempts to be high class, is in the end filling your head with trivia and opinions that don't really further humanity.

And that's probably not a bad thing.

Your opinion is awesome and valid, but it doesn't imply that other opinions are less awesome and valid
The point was: people willingly pay to see shit (and make those two excuses), so shit keeps getting made, and so we have to have awards for total shit just to point out how dreadful it is.

And you shouldn't have to leave your brain at the door for any media. That is not an excuse. Thor is a simple, fun film. Its also well-made and doesn't require the audience to go full-retard to suck any sense of enjoyment from it. Same goes for Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc. etc.

Also: seen the first, which was bad, seen about half of the second, which almost had me circumcising myself out of the need to do something less painful, and not seen the third because when it gets shit reviews and all the same people are involved from the last two shit fests, well... its pretty clear what its like.

Jul 11, 2011
I don't know. I hear that Transformers 3 isn't RoTF bad, but still not great. More like a "meh". But I think Zookeeper and Smurfs is gonna take the cake.
viranimus said:
Geeze.

I really do not get this. Transformers 3 was not even a bad film. It just wasnt a good film. Hell the trilogy itself isnt that bad if you ignore two elements of #2.

I understand criticism of the franchise, but I do not understand the unmitigated hated of the series.
All the hate towards the series is because 1: Fanboys say it destroyed thier childhood (I guess playing Transformers was thier ENTIRE childhood) and 2: The immensly huge budget to make, at best, a "meh" movie(IMO, of course).

Dr. Dan Challis

Sep 18, 2009
There seem to be an awful lot of people who profess to have hated the first two Transformers films yet still went to see the third. I hope those people realize that they are just as responsible for the series financial success as those who enjoyed the films, and at least the latter group had a good time. Which really begs the question, why bother? I can understand holding out hope for the second film when you didn't like the first but by the time the third one rolls around, you should know what you're in for. Bay is nothing if not consistent.

Also, can we put the lame "Lucas/Bay/whomever raped my childhood" cliché to bed, permanently? If the most important thing about your childhood is that the sanctity of your memories of a serialized, twenty minute toy commercial are preserved, then your childhood was raped long before Bay got to it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I didn't think it was THAT bad. Aside from the fact that the new girl is worse than Megan Fox. And the Decepticons start shooting the only building with the humans in it for no reason. Oh, and the civilians are extremely stupid. Then there's the fact that it turned the entire second movie into a gaping plot hole...
Okay, maybe it was that bad. But still better than the second one.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Ooooh, I hope they win some!

Jonny49 said:
I'm fairly sure the Transformers trilogy has to be one of the worst trilogies ever made, if not the worst.

It deserves those every one of those Razzie awards, the film was garbage.
It makes the Prequel Trilogy look like the Original Trilogy.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
They take giant robots

They blow shit up

They blow more shit up

Some small pathetic flesh bags jibber for a bit

More stuff gets blown up

Some eye candy struts about

.....Its a popcorn action movie

I expect nothing except loud explosions and the a fore mentioned shit being blown up

I have enjoyed the last 2 transformers movies, I will not jump on the bandwagon of hate - I have low expectations, Michael Bay delivers every time....and I enjoy what is delivered.

If you expect more or wanna jump on the bandwagon go ahead.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Woodsey said:
The point was: people willingly pay to see shit (and make those two excuses), so shit keeps getting made, and so we have to have awards for total shit just to point out how dreadful it is.

And you shouldn't have to leave your brain at the door for any media. That is not an excuse. Thor is a simple, fun film. Its also well-made and doesn't require the audience to go full-retard to suck any sense of enjoyment from it. Same goes for Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc. etc.

Also: seen the first, which was bad, seen about half of the second, which almost had me circumcising myself out of the need to do something less painful, and not seen the third because when it gets shit reviews and all the same people are involved from the last two shit fests, well... its pretty clear what its like.
I will phrase this better:

People see shit, and they enjoyed seeing this shit which is why they went on to watch a further two showings of this shit, each of which they probably left satisfied and so more shit is made for them to watch.

My question is, where do you even factor into this? :D

And so yes, as I suspected, your opinion of the third film is invalid. You have a good right to state your opinion of the first two films but no real right to tell people that the third is shit. Just that you didn't like the first two. You also made the correct decision not to see the third, it's just that decision clearly isn't correct for a lot of other people.

You haven't provided any sort of reason not to leave your brain at the door in a film, just that there are films where you don't. Which is no argument at all

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Maybe you should actually see Green Lantern. It's good to any normal person, but critics have to hate it for some reason

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
I haven't seen many of this summer's blockbusters, but please don't count X-Men First Class into the collection of horrible ones. First Class was rather decent in many respects. Namely James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, and the excellent chemistry between them. Extra props to Fassbender, who was not only an extremely effective Magneto, but looked so handsome doing it! =) (that last part was a digression, but I had to say it). The supporting cast did well too, Bacon (Shaw) and Lawrence (Mystique) to mention a few. Most of the effects were well done (the makeup for Beast could have been a little better) and the story went along nicely enough.

It was also like a return to previous X-Men glory. The last couple of X-Men movies were trash, Wolverine Origins especially, so this one came shining through like a beacon of hope. But I'm not the kind of person who says things like "this movie is better than the last movie, so it must count for something!" (which is why I won't see Dark Side of the Moon, because saying that its better than Revenge of the Fallen is not enough to make me shell out the cash), so in short, First Class is a good movie because its an actually well done movie. Even if you removed the X-Men aspect and it played out the same, I would have loved it. The acting was phenomenal, and it basically forgave all faults (the very few that there were) for me.

But that's just me geeking out to First Class. If the other movies were shit, then they were shit. No arguments there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Woodsey said:

I will phrase this better:

People see shit, and they enjoyed seeing this shit which is why they went on to watch a further two showings of this shit, each of which they probably left satisfied and so more shit is made for them to watch.

My question is, where do you even factor into this? :D

And so yes, as I suspected, your opinion of the third film is invalid. You have a good right to state your opinion of the first two films but no real right to tell people that the third is shit. Just that you didn't like the first two. You also made the correct decision not to see the third, it's just that decision clearly isn't correct for a lot of other people.

You haven't provided any sort of reason not to leave your brain at the door in a film, just that there are films where you don't. Which is no argument at all
"My question is, where do you even factor into this? :D"

Because when the poorly made shit makes more than the well made shit, you get more of the former. I want to go and see films too. I want to enjoy big Summer blockbusters. I don't want them to be influenced by bad films.

"You haven't provided any sort of reason not to leave your brain at the door in a film, just that there are films where you don't. Which is no argument at all"

Similar to above, it promotes lazy/poor film-making. If everyone could get away with making a big release and then having everyone jump up and down at anyone calling it bad, and saying you should be leaving your brain at the door, then everyone would fucking try it. Like I said: I want good fucking films to watch. I want big, Summer blockbuster-y, good films to watch.

And yeah, I'm still counting the series as shit given the majority vote. The third would have had to have had Jesus touch every frame on the fucking reel to produce anything decent given the previous efforts.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Haven't seen the thrid movie yet, but the first two were terrible and deserve Razzies, lots of 'em.

Micheal Bay can choke on the Devastator's balls for tainting one of my favorite childhood cartoons.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
http://freyad-dryden.deviantart.com/#/d3n0s0w
That's all I've got to say about Hollywood.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Woodsey said:
"My question is, where do you even factor into this? :D"

Because when the poorly made shit makes more than the well made shit, you get more of the former. I want to go and see films too. I want to enjoy big Summer blockbusters. I don't want them to be influenced by bad films.

"You haven't provided any sort of reason not to leave your brain at the door in a film, just that there are films where you don't. Which is no argument at all"

Similar to above, it promotes lazy/poor film-making. If everyone could get away with making a big release and then having everyone jump up and down at anyone calling it bad, and saying you should be leaving your brain at the door, then everyone would fucking try it. Like I said: I want good fucking films to watch. I want big, Summer blockbuster-y, good films to watch.

And yeah, I'm still counting the series as shit given the majority vote. The third would have had to have had Jesus touch every frame on the fucking reel to produce anything decent given the previous efforts.
This is the trouble though! You don't have the majority vote, the third film has had 61 million people who love it (judging on $10 ticket sales) and you are taking the "majority" of maybe a couple of thousand of people on the internet.

And you don't factor into it, because more than one film can be made. 61 million people love transformers and films get made for them, the films you like attract a different (slightly smaller crowd) and you go and see those films and you make money on it. It's not even like the prequels where you could argue that the films sell hope. Transformers you know what you're going to get.

And lazy film making isn't a problem if the lazy films satisfy people more than the hard artsy films. And the way people choose to spend their money suggests that's the case

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
I'm honestly glad I'm past this phase in my life. 2 or 3 years ago, I could have written a 7 page rant on how absolute garbage Transformers is with some of the most graphic and mentally disturbing metaphors some of you would have ever read, but honestly, I've washed my hands of that behavior. I'm done trying to push my opinion off on others, and I'm tired of playing the asshole... even on the internet. I thought the first one was dull, but it had room for improvement that I had hoped some constructive criticism (from actual critics, not people on the internet) could have fixed some of the problems. It did not, I hated almost all aspects of the second one, and I decided not to see the third one. Simple as that, that is how I feel on the subject and I'm content to leave it at that.

I don't like the movies, so I didn't see them... that's it.