RBG’s dead and Mitch is gonna do it

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
She died of cancer. Wonder how shit’s gonna go now?
Edit- adding the most important bit of context here even though the thread’s already on page 2
E9E0C67C-34DE-48A2-A86E-F48E67F92167.jpeg

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm sure Mitch McConnell will defer selecting the new judge until after the election like he did with Garland.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well... You can't appoint a new justice so close to a possible change in President right? Because that was the argument last time...

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I find myself lacking the words needed to describe both my surprise (seemed like she would live forever) and my fear. This is perhaps the greatest tragedy to happen during the Trump presidency. Now Mitch will get the chance to make good on his promise to push through a supreme court judge in an election year, and it will ruin any semblance of fairness for several decades, especially once we take into account the recent Trump supreme court nominee list.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well there goes the Democracy. The Supreme Court was the last line of defense we had at stopping Trump for declaring the election null and becoming president for life.
I wonder which of the Trump children McConnell with force through.

Reactions: gorfias

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
He’s just gonna force through Cotton or Cruz so no search is necessary. Cruz will probably lose his next Senate run so they might push him but Trump hates him so who knows. RBG should’ve retired under Obama but demanded to be replaced under a female presidency. RIP.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Ok, first and foremost a life has passed. The respect that she deserves should be held. In a day, I will post my feelings about this, but until then, let's not be this callous.
I think it’s fine to be “callous” when the life in question held roughly 4% of our nation‘s political authority. This death affects others in sum more than her own singular lost life.
Edit- added quotation marks since there’s some responses I could see as more genuinely callous than others.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I think it’s fine to be callous when the life in question held roughly 4% of our nation‘s political authority. This death affects others in sum more than her own singular lost life.
I completely get that, but we can't point the fingers at jackals if we behave the same way.

I'm none too pleased about this. Not in the slightest. Beyond my general reverence for life. But I don't get to pick and choose when I hold fast to my morals if I actually believe in them.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
He’s just gonna force through Cotton or Cruz so no search is necessary. Cruz will probably lose his next Senate run so they might push him but Trump hates him so who knows. RBG should’ve retired under Obama but demanded to be replaced under a female presidency. RIP.
I heard Republican Senators are already loading Cruz into a cannon and aiming it at the SCOTUS building as we speak.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I heard Republican Senators are already loading Cruz into a cannon and aiming it at the SCOTUS building as we speak.
Cruz would be the best pick for them since he’s dead weight in the senate at this point. ************ almost lost them Texas. But Trump does think he’s a loser so who knows. Cotton probably has higher ambitions so he may turn them down.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Ok, first and foremost a life has passed. The respect that she deserves should be held. In a day, I will post my feelings about this, but until then, let's not be this callous.
Sometimes a life is more than just a person. Most of us only know RBG because of her role as judge, not for any other reason. To most her very existence is defined by her profession and as such I think there is nothing callous in considering her death from that perspective. Unfortunate? Yest. Sad? Indeed. A threat to the very fabric of the US judicial system? Very much. And it is so surprising, which only amplifies the shock.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Callous is everyone in charge in Washington who don't see a dead political icon, but a kooky old bat who finally kicked it to make room for more white men to give the country over to the Trump family.
Realist is everyone who knows her epitaph should read 'Here lies the Democracy'. She really was one of the last individuals with any power to check the current president in any way. And now there's like maybe, at best, 2 or 3 others.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Sometimes a life is more than just a person. Most of us only know RBG because of her role as judge, not for any other reason. To most her very existence is defined by her profession and as such I think there is nothing callous in considering her death from that perspective. Unfortunate? Yest. Sad? Indeed. A threat to the very fabric of the US judicial system? Very much. And it is so surprising, which only amplifies the shock.
I already expressed my stance to Revnak further. I get how damaging this is to America. They don't even need to elect another Supreme Court Justice at this time and America still is damaged for anyone who isn't Republican. I get it.

But sometimes the political stance is the wrong one at the time. The Moral stance we all claim to hold is the stance that is the one we should be gravitating towards most of the time. Morally, we can not be fine with destroying land of cultural importance for profit, even if that means jobs to the economy. Morally, we can not allow wholesale killing of people a la Judge Dredd even if we find criminals to be the definition of deplorable.

And morally, we can't consider ourselves better than our party on the other side of the bench if we politicizing this as much as they will. If I find the idea of Trump doing backflips during this time because this helps his agenda, I must hold myself by the same standards of immediately thinking about how this affects me before taking a moment to realize a living person that will never come back has died.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I already expressed my stance to Revnak further. I get how damaging this is to America. They don't even need to elect another Supreme Court Justice at this time and America still is damaged for anyone who isn't Republican. I get it.

But sometimes the political stance is the wrong one at the time. The Moral stance we all claim to hold is the stance that is the one we should be gravitating towards most of the time. Morally, we can not be fine with destroying land of cultural importance for profit, even if that means jobs to the economy. Morally, we can not allow wholesale killing of people a la Judge Dredd even if we find criminals to be the definition of deplorable.

And morally, we can't consider ourselves better than our party on the other side of the bench if we politicizing this as much as they will. If I find the idea of Trump doing backflips during this time because this helps his agenda, I must hold myself by the same standards of immediately thinking about how this affects me before taking a moment to realize a living person that will never come back has died.
Morals schmorals, we’re all fucked because she didn’t retire six years ago. The courts are political. Period. The founders were idiots for thinking that was avoidable. Should’ve had an elected Supreme Court.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hindsight is obviously 2020 but what's happened is a 79 year old choosing not to quit her day job in 2012 has directly led to a scenario where the rights of women and minorities in the US can be easily thrown under a bus. Hell, she was already past the US retirement age in 2008.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Hindsight is obviously 2020 but what's happened is a 79 year old choosing not to quit her day job in 2012 has directly led to a scenario where the rights of women and minorities in the US can be easily thrown under a bus. Hell, she was already past the US retirement age in 2008.
Man, what if every liberal judge had just retired when Obama got elected? Wouldn’t that have been great? Wouldn’t we have been able to avoid so much shit?