RBG’s dead and Mitch is gonna do it

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Counterpoint: everything is awesome, and you're only panicking about everything because it's an excuse to push more communism.
If Amy Barrett were on the Supreme Court, it would be legal and constitutional for "religious" businesses to discriminate against LGBT people.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
wrong. Sort of. You are writing of a problem for women: unconstitutional. Bad for men? Oh. Permissable.
Lets see.
Gorfias: Draft hurts men so we should allow men to control women's bodies.
Lil: Draft and trying to control women's bodies re both horrifically wrong and there is no excuse for either to happen.
Gorfias: Problem for women: unconstitutional. bad for men: permissible.
Lil: what part of both are wrong don't you get? That isn't what anyone is saying at all.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
What medical procedures do non-pregnant people have to secure spousal permission to get?
Oh yea, Sorry Doctor, You can't drain that cyst until I beg my husband for permission. That is how this is supposed to be done?

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Lets see.
Gorfias: Draft hurts men so we should allow men to control women's bodies.
Lil: Draft and trying to control women's bodies re both horrifically wrong and there is no excuse for either to happen.
Gorfias: Problem for women: unconstitutional. bad for men: permissible.
Lil: what part of both are wrong don't you get? That isn't what anyone is saying at all.
The Draft is unpopular. If it is necessary, it is not "wrong". I don't know where that idea comes from.
And it will be, if and when necessary, 95-99% of the time, men who die in combat.
That's like me pointing out that 95% of work place deaths are men and you finding the only thing wrong with that is not that it isn't 50-50... but that we should have a Utopia where no one dies on the job.
Convenient thinking. But it throws men into a grinder while finding the whims of women sacrosanct.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The Draft is unpopular. If it is necessary, it is not "wrong". I don't know where that idea comes from.
And it will be, if and when necessary, 95-99% of the time, men who die in combat.
That's like me pointing out that 95% of work place deaths are men and you finding the only thing wrong with that is not that it isn't 50-50... but that we should have a Utopia where no one dies on the job.
Convenient thinking. But it throws men into a grinder while finding the whims of women sacrosanct.
If you do not have people willing to volunteer to fight for your cause, then you shouldn't be fighting it in the first place and deserve to lose. The draft has not ever been "necessary" . If you think that is necessary, you and I have very different ideas of " necessary".

You pointing out that 95% of workplace deaths are men doesn't make me think that should be 50-50, that would be stupid. Of course It makes me think we need to make them stop all together and make their work places safer and charge their employers for their deaths criminally. I have no idea why you think some of the things you do. The objective here is to not have the men put in harms way like that. It is abominable to allow that to continue, and hopefully in the future, we can look back on this happening in shock that we ever allowed it to happen in the first place.

It is not a " utopia" to design safer work environments and to actively work to keep people safe and to hold employers accountable for not doing so. People get hurt on the job, people even get killed. I have seen many of these injuries first hand myself working in the ER an MSF. MOST injuries can be prevented and are caused by negligence, rarely are there actual unpreventable circumstances. This is actually something we can reduce and change, so why wouldn't we do that? I do not view men or women as "disposable", and the idea that some do is pretty gross tbh.

And please do not even attempt to blame women for men being thrown to the grinder. It is OTHER men, not women, who pressure men via toxic masculinity to think they need to go to the grinder at all. " Man up" is a saying created BY men To taunt men into needless suffering. Women didn't do this, and chances are their mothers, grandmothers, girlfriends, wives, sisters, and daughters beg them not to go and want it to stop just as much as I do.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And, as with every time you try to play that card, someone has to point out that the reason men are over-represented in military casualties is the reluctance for society to allow women in the military.

Women have, for decades, been fighting for the right to be treated the same as men, and part of that is to share the same risks in combat.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
And, as with every time you try to play that card, someone has to point out that the reason men are over-represented in military casualties is the reluctance for society to allow women in the military.

Women have, for decades, been fighting for the right to be treated the same as men, and part of that is to share the same risks in combat.
Nonsense. This is just a fantasy on your part.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
When apparently the #1 thing women need to know about the military is that sexual assault by colleagues is a real threat, I'd imagine they have more pressing priorities than pushing for representation among the general infantry.
Depending on your timezone, today is about the 3 year anniversary of the first ever female USMC officer to be given command of an combat infantry platoon, and there was quite the kerfuffle over a woman being allowed to do that.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Depending on your timezone, today is about the 3 year anniversary of the first ever female USMC officer to be given command of an combat infantry platoon, and there was quite the kerfuffle over a woman being allowed to do that.
Yes, it's striking that people are moving in that direction despite all the other problems.

MetalHead

May 4, 2020
Country
US
And please do not even attempt to blame women for men being thrown to the grinder. It is OTHER men, not women, who pressure men via toxic masculinity to think they need to go to the grinder at all. " Man up" is a saying created BY men To taunt men into needless suffering. Women didn't do this, and chances are their mothers, grandmothers, girlfriends, wives, sisters, and daughters beg them not to go and want it to stop just as much as I do.
Definitely not wrong there. We all have our testosterone to feed.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nonsense. This is just a fantasy on your part.
There are two feminist positions on the draft: make it universal or abolish it entirely.
A conservative asshole trying to introduce making it universal had to vote against his own proposal. Shockingly, the same white dude *also* opposes women being in combat to begin with, so I get a two-fer by only posting one link:
A proposal to expand the draft to include women was first introduced in 2016 by then-Rep. Duncan Hunter, a vocal opponent of women serving in combat, in an unusual episode during negotiations over the annual defense policy bill. Hunter offered the amendment as a dare, and voted against his own proposal.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Have they been fighting or has it been a nice comfy position of not having to actually commit to the consequences of one or the other?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Have they been fighting or has it been a nice comfy position of not having to actually commit to the consequences of one or the other?
The draft is an absurdity.

If the USA really needs more people in the armed forces at some point in the future than it can recruit from volunteers, it just needs to pass a conscription law at the appropriate time.

I am however constantly bemused by the idea of one demographic group telling a second that the second aren't allowed to do a job, and the first then demanding that they get privileges because the second doesn't have to do that job.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Even though I oppose conscription everywhere, I can see the argument that small nations on the borders of large enemies with more resources may need to require all people to have a basic level of military training in the case of emergency. See: Taiwan, Finland, the Baltic states, etc.

That obviously doesn't apply to the USA. We are the third largest in terms of population and have basically the largest and best funded military. And our two neighbors are incapable of waging war against us (why would the want to, anyways?)

Not that this fact has stopped boomers from writing thinkpieces arguing that we need to bring back conscription or conscription with the option of civilian works as a requirement for all Americans.
Horrible idea.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

If the USA really needs more people in the armed forces at some point in the future than it can recruit from volunteers, it just needs to pass a conscription law at the appropriate time.

I am however constantly bemused by the idea of one demographic group telling a second that the second aren't allowed to do a job, and the first then demanding that they get privileges because the second doesn't have to do that job.
I am constantly bemused by the idea that women are tired of being told they can't do anything for themselves and express it by demanding other people do things for them.