RBG’s dead and Mitch is gonna do it

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Callous is everyone in charge in Washington who don't see a dead political icon, but a kooky old bat who finally kicked it to make room for more white men to give the country over to the Trump family.
Realist is everyone who knows her epitaph should read 'Here lies the Democracy'. She really was one of the last individuals with any power to check the current president in any way. And now there's like maybe, at best, 2 or 3 others.
Well I was gonna hold my tongue on this, but then I saw this post.

My sympathy in the moment is largely blunted by Ginsburg having specifically refused to retire during Obama's terms despite being in her 80's and already in failing health, in order to be replaced by "the first woman President". Those chickens just won't stop coming home to roost for years of Democratic hubris, cultish certainty, and stubbornness, will they.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I already expressed my stance to Revnak further. I get how damaging this is to America. They don't even need to elect another Supreme Court Justice at this time and America still is damaged for anyone who isn't Republican. I get it.

But sometimes the political stance is the wrong one at the time. The Moral stance we all claim to hold is the stance that is the one we should be gravitating towards most of the time. Morally, we can not be fine with destroying land of cultural importance for profit, even if that means jobs to the economy. Morally, we can not allow wholesale killing of people a la Judge Dredd even if we find criminals to be the definition of deplorable.

And morally, we can't consider ourselves better than our party on the other side of the bench if we politicizing this as much as they will. If I find the idea of Trump doing backflips during this time because this helps his agenda, I must hold myself by the same standards of immediately thinking about how this affects me before taking a moment to realize a living person that will never come back has died.
I don't think of it as politicising. This is basically considering what would happen to the relatives of the deceased. RGB was not just a private person, she was a public servant a caretaker. In a sense every american was her dependant and now every american will be affected by her death. Of course calling into question her judgement in relation to staying on the bench or the republican response to her death is politicising, but it is basically a concern about familial interplay at this point.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I know this is all hindsight but we really were fucked the moment Obama decided “nah, it’s gonna be business as usual” during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. During which he had a super majority in both houses and a sympathetic court.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I would have traded my PS5 preorder(If I had one) for her not to died.
1600475845231.png

Reactions: Tireseas

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times."
This is not boring.
As a radical Republican Reptile, I would write that this creates for the Right something similar to BLM or Antifa for the Left. The establishment right doesn't want to lose their extremes, but if they use the power they have to ram down a conservative activist onto the USSC, they lose moderates. They fail to do so? they can lose their extreme. Get my popcorn.
EDIT: RBG: RIP. Of course. Now the rest of us have to live with what this will all mean.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Honestly just glad the new hellzone didn’t try to sneak up on me. We get rain last night so the air quality is almost survivable then bam, hellzone phase, uh, four? Five? Autumn. Phase Autumn.

Reactions: Kwak

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
If the senate ram a justice trough, I think it'll be time democrat learn that what's unwritten is unwritten, and what's written can be ignored.

If Biden win, he need to pack the court.

Ram 20 yes man in and use the supreme power create a bunch of fake states that will vote blue (doesn't matter if they only have 3 person in it, 1 voter and 2 senate is all you need). Then open the constitution, abolish the electoral college and inshrine 1 person = 1 vote, set a reasonable limit on justice term (like 25 years), make the electoral system truly independent and temper proof.

Trump as shown beyond any doubt that you can get away with literally anything without paying an electoral or legal price. The only way to reform this stupid system is to embrace the stupidity.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times."
This is not boring.
As a radical Republican Reptile, I would write that this creates for the Right something similar to BLM or Antifa for the Left. The establishment right doesn't want to lose their extremes, but if they use the power they have to ram down a conservative activist onto the USSC, they lose moderates. They fail to do so? they can lose their extreme. Get my popcorn.
1. Not an actual chinese curse.
2. Republican moderates still tend to vote along at least 1 of 4 issues, tax cuts, second amendments, abortion. or immigration. Restrictions on which a conservative judge would all vote "nay".
For the last four years republican moderates have shown that they have no problems whatsoever with even the most extreme Trump initiatives, and that liberty is negotiable as long as the ones suffering is from the left or non-white.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
If the senate ram a justice trough, I think it'll be time democrat learn that what's unwritten is unwritten, and what's written can be ignored.

Ram 20 yes man in and use the supreme power create a bunch of fake states that will vote blue (doesn't matter if they only have 3 person in it, 1 voter and 2 senate is all you need). Then open the constitution, abolish the electoral college and inshrine 1 person = 1 vote, set a reasonable limit on justice term (like 25 years), make the electoral system truly independent and temper proof.

Trump as shown beyond any doubt that you can get away with literally anything without paying an electoral or legal price. The only way to reform this stupid system is to embrace the stupidity.
Oh... oh that’s so fucking funny that you think Biden will both win (assuming a 6-3 doesn’t give Trump license to do whatever the fuck he wants to rig the election) and will make a single bold move in favor of preserving anything that isn’t stock values. We’re all boned.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark

I'm a "they go low, we go high"-kind of person, but I'm close to agreeing, if this process is not handled in an exemplary manner it will demonstrate that the republican party has moved so far away from the basic democratic values that they should not be considered a possible partner in governance. Of course I thought that point had been reached once Mitch and Graham showed themselves to be literal oathbreakers during the impeachment, but now the dems get another chance.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Did they not lose their house of representatives majority in 2018? Mitch is a goddamn liar and oathbreaker.
Mitch has set american political discourse and progress back at least 150 years if not more. If it came out he was a Dr. Zola type villain still living on since the Civil War who was determined to destroy the Union from the inside I would totally believe it.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Did they not lose their house of representatives majority in 2018? Mitch is a goddamn liar and oathbreaker.
Oaths? Truths? None of that matters in hellzone baybee!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
1. Not an actual chinese curse.
2. Republican moderates still tend to vote along at least 1 of 4 issues, tax cuts, second amendments, abortion. or immigration. Restrictions on which a conservative judge would all vote "nay".
For the last four years republican moderates have shown that they have no problems whatsoever with even the most extreme Trump initiatives, and that liberty is negotiable as long as the ones suffering is from the left or non-white.
1. Hmmm. Interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_live_in_interesting_times They should take credit anyways as, it is interesting. Thanks for the tip on this as I'd not heard it before.
2. Members of the establishment of either major party will do what is in their best interest in getting re elected. What would you think their best option now? Suppose using pure power, they can ram a conservative activist onto the USSC? I think that would make the radical Christian right happy but tick everyone else off. Fail to do so, they may lose this fringe, which can make the difference on getting elected or not.
What would you advise they do?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well this is fucken super. And that sack of shit turtle is going to force a vote despite being all "meh, we have to not vote on Obama's nominee cause we might win in like a year, meh." Someone really needs to deal with his ass.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Imagine being so high on the Sorkin that in the year of our lord 2020 you even attempt faking surprise or disgust at a goddamn thing McConnell does.
To be fair, he waited a whole, like, hour. That’s a lot for him.