RBG’s dead and Mitch is gonna do it

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well, cancer aside, my dad is glad too, "another commie off of the Supreme Court."

So, yeah.

Edit: something that I'm not sure that American liberals understand is that conservatives are just as scared of them in control as they are of conservatives being in control, and that trying to rush a nuclear option (as advocated for in this thread) is only going to result in them rushing it as well. MAD, folks. The idea is that you don't push the button that's gonna break the system.

I mean, the revolutionary commies are one thing, but the folks in here who aren't and think that you can just get your side to do a totalitarian takeover of the government and think it's gonna go well, hoo boy. You've really drunk the blue-flavored Koolaid.

My father is also right leaning... but he seems to think she was a fair judge and that it's a shame she's passed on.

Edit (Wow, I must have quoted you just as you edited this): I agree, plenty of people here talking about blatantly violating the rules to get one over on the other side just makes me sigh.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My father is also right leaning... but he seems to think she was a fair judge and that it's a shame she's passed on.
My dad was a lawyer at one time, and he has some very strong thoughts on Constitutional Law and judicial jurisprudence.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Edit: something that I'm not sure that American liberals understand is that conservatives are just as scared of them in control as they are of conservatives being in control, and that trying to rush a nuclear option (as advocated for in this thread) is only going to result in them rushing it as well. MAD, folks. The idea is that you don't push the button that's gonna break the system.

I mean, the revolutionary commies are one thing, but the folks in here who aren't and think that you can just get your side to do a totalitarian takeover of the government and think it's gonna go well, hoo boy. You've really drunk the blue-flavored Koolaid.
Second that, though I might disagree with the implication that the conservatives aren't already moving that way, just not as fast as they could.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Edit (Wow, I must have quoted you just as you edited this): I agree, plenty of people here talking about blatantly violating the rules to get one over on the other side just makes me sigh.
My dad was right leaning before his 9 year old asked him to turn off rush limbaugh since he sounded like a jerk. That and feeling super betrayed after voting for bush jr.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Well, cancer aside, my dad is glad too, "another commie off of the Supreme Court."

So, yeah.

Have you considered it already looks to many of us like conservatives are already breaking the system? Not advocating for whatever but like... You take things like stuff surrounding voting and open corruption and shit and it looks like they'll go however low they think they have to to win. And would it then surprise me that I see people think it's about being the first to hit the button and not whether it gets hit?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Have you considered it already looks to many of us like conservatives are already breaking the system? Not advocating for whatever but like... You take things like stuff surrounding voting and open corruption and shit and it looks like they'll go however low they think they have to to win. And would it then surprise me that I see people think it's about being the first to hit the button and not whether it gets hit?
Have you considered that those folks don't actually understand how the Supreme Court works, and haven't been paying attention to how it's been voting lately? It's not a clear conservative/liberal line. They each have their own thoughts on law and the place of each branch of government, and although they have leanings politically, simplistically dividing them into Republican or Democrat votes doesn't explain the several times they have acted as swing votes on certain issues that went against general Republican or Trump interests.

People talking like just because Trump appoints them, they'll rubberstamp anything he says. Once they're in the Supreme Court, they can tell Trump to fuck off, he can't do a damn thing to them anymore. They aren't beholden to his interests at all, and it is directly against their own interest to rig the election and destroy the democratic system that gives their job of interpreting law any meaning.

And yet here we are, panickally advocating for Democrats to essentially force a takeover of the government, because "we gotta get them before they get us". Man, glad them folks weren't in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I'm sure such thoughts as "well, but at least we let loose first" well be of such comfort in the cold ruins amidst the bodies. Because I'm not being hyperbolic. If people want to break the government just because they aren't getting what they want out of it, that means civil war. In a nation with domestic stockpiles of nukes.

I'm in favor of some things involving the Supreme Court. A 15 year term limit, for starters, rotating between 3 of the positions every 5 years. Not in favor of electing them, or any other judge. Not in favor of impeaching them, especially given that the advocates for that in this thread have given no reason for it besides their politics, when it's meant to hold officials accountable for criminal malfeasance. Using it as a political cudgel is all kinds of slimy.

Now me, I support revolutionary advocacy, I don't think you can't if you believe in America's ideals. But if you want to take what you want in society at the point of a gun, say so instead of hiding behind a sham totalitarian advocacy.

(Frankly the real damage that Trump has done to the judicial system has been appointments to federal appellate courts, but that's over and done now).

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Have you considered that those folks don't actually understand how the Supreme Court works, and haven't been paying attention to how it's been voting lately? It's not a clear conservative/liberal line. They each have their own thoughts on law and the place of each branch of government, and although they have leanings politically, simplistically dividing them into Republican or Democrat votes doesn't explain the several times they have acted as swing votes on certain issues that went against general Republican or Trump interests.

People talking like just because Trump appoints them, they'll rubberstamp anything he says. Once they're in the Supreme Court, they can tell Trump to fuck off, he can't do a damn thing to them anymore. They aren't beholden to his interests at all, and it is directly against their own interest to rig the election and destroy the democratic system that gives their job of interpreting law any meaning.

And yet here we are, panickally advocating for Democrats to essentially force a takeover of the government, because "we gotta get them before they get us". Man, glad them folks weren't in charge during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I'm sure such thoughts as "well, but at least we let loose first" well be of such comfort in the cold ruins amidst the bodies. Because I'm not being hyperbolic. If people want to break the government just because they aren't getting what they want out of it, that means civil war. In a nation with domestic stockpiles of nukes.

I'm in favor of some things involving the Supreme Court. A 15 year term limit, for starters, rotating between 3 of the positions every 5 years. Not in favor of electing them, or any other judge. Not in favor of impeaching them, especially given that the advocates for that in this thread have given no reason for it besides their politics, when it's meant to hold officials accountable for criminal malfeasance. Using it as a political cudgel is all kinds of slimy.

Now me, I support revolutionary advocacy, I don't think you can't if you believe in America's ideals. But if you want to take what you want in society at the point of a gun, say so instead of hiding behind a sham totalitarian advocacy.

(Frankly the real damage that Trump has done to the judicial system has been appointments to federal appellate courts, but that's over and done now).
If you'd rather ignore everything I said, that's cool, just say so

But going off on some strawman soapbox at me is just silly. I've never said that they will just automatically go to Trump's interests. It may be easier for you to condescend and put words in my mouth than address the fact that people have little faith that American conservatives aren't *already* going for whatever low blows they can and that's relevant to your attempt at telling people to look at it from the other side.

Like, I tried to address perspective thing, but it's pretty clear you have 0 interest in actually talking about that, just soapboxing. So go off.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

But going off on some strawman soapbox at me is just silly. I've never said that they will just automatically go to Trump's interests. It may be easier for you to condescend and put words in my mouth than address the fact that people have little faith that American conservatives aren't *already* going for whatever low blows they can and that's relevant to your attempt at telling people to look at it from the other side.

Like, I tried to address perspective thing, but it's pretty clear you have 0 interest in actually talking about that, just soapboxing. So go off.
Have you considered that those folks don't actually understand how the Supreme Court works, and haven't been paying attention to how it's been voting lately?
🤷‍♂️ dunno what else to tell ya, you said how people thought things were going meant they better break the government in their favor, I essentially said that such a position had faulty premises, now it looks like you wanna throw a hissy fit. I'd even been careful to say "those people" rather than "you" to not make it personal. But whatevs, dude. Have a hissy fit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
🤷‍♂️ dunno what else to tell ya, you said how people thought things were going meant they better break the government in their favor, I essentially said that such a position had faulty premises, now it looks like you wanna throw a hissy fit. I'd even been careful to say "those people" rather than "you" to not make it personal. But whatevs, dude. Have a hissy fit.
In context I thought your reply fitting.
Eisenhower would say that putting Brennan on the court was his worst mistake ever. Once on the court, they don't have to rule along the lines the nominating President would want.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
" You take things like stuff surrounding voting and open corruption and shit and it looks like they'll go however low they think they have to to win "

I was pretty clearly talking beyond just the court, and you easily put words in my mouth about the court. You said there were faulty premises to things I never said about the court. I understand reading may not be everyone's strong suit, but come on.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
" You take things like stuff surrounding voting and open corruption and shit and it looks like they'll go however low they think they have to to win "

I was pretty clearly talking beyond just the court, and you easily put words in my mouth about the court. You said there were faulty premises to things I never said about the court. I understand reading may not be everyone's strong suit, but come on.
You were talking in a thread about the court, replying to a comment that was commenting on people's thoughts in the thread about what should be done about the court. I know context may not be everyone's strong suit, but come on.

Reactions: gorfias

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
You were talking in a thread about the court, replying to a comment that was commenting on people's thoughts in the thread about what should be done about the court. I know context may not be everyone's strong suit, but come on.
So you think that people's opinions on whether they should worry about what actions conservatives will take will be limited to only the court because we're in a thread about the court?

Like seriously take a step back and think for half a second. You suggested that we should worry about prompting the conservatives to act more desperately. My point is that plenty of people already think that conservatives are casting aside scruples. That's not limited to their actions with respect to the court. I realize you think you're clever but this is just childish "no u"

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Well, I'm glad you're done trolling me for criticizing your post =/
I'm the troll?

I understand reading may not be everyone's strong suit, but come on.
I realize you think you're clever but this is just childish "no u"
Consider: I replied to kind with kind, at each and every point of this. Don't start what you don't like. If you had stayed civil, this could have proceeded civilly.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I'm the troll?

Consider: I replied to kind with kind, at each and every point of this. Don't start what you don't like. If you had stayed civil, this could have proceeded civilly.
Yes, just echoing someone's words back at them repeatedly is more or less childish trolling. Like come on, you're gonna pretend that was done with any intent but to try to annoy me?