Read Only Memories Review - Old School Adventure

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Read Only Memories Review - Old School Adventure

Fans of point and click adventure games, Telltale games and old Sierra games should give this a try.

Read Full Article

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
The fourth paragraph ends with "...reminiscent of the investigation portions of the Ace Attorney series and". I feel like you maybe forgot to finish that sentence. Just thought you ought to know.

Jan 27, 2011
I just finished this game today. It's really damn good.

Even with the retro look to it, it can be surprisingly immersive and atmospheric. There were legit points where things got a little creepy and I recoiled in shock. At a game with SNES level graphics. I kid you not.

It's totally worth playing.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I've been playing this game, haven't really finished it yet because I've been working through other stuff at the same time, but it seems to be a neat idea and well-executed. Writing is good and characters are likable and design is great.

I can't help but feel a little opposed to it, however... it seems like one of the "themes" of the game is that "in the future, otherkin will be like queer people today". Its heart is in the right place, trying to put the issue in a new perspective, but it's not really helping as far as equating transfolk with people who think they need kitty ears as an identity in order to live. At least cyborgs make sense. I dunno maybe I'll be the bigot in 50 years.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
hentropy said:
I've been playing this game, haven't really finished it yet because I've been working through other stuff at the same time, but it seems to be a neat idea and well-executed. Writing is good and characters are likable and design is great.

I can't help but feel a little opposed to it, however... it seems like one of the "themes" of the game is that "in the future, otherkin will be like queer people today". Its heart is in the right place, trying to put the issue in a new perspective, but it's not really helping as far as equating transfolk with people who think they need kitty ears as an identity in order to live. At least cyborgs make sense. I dunno maybe I'll be the bigot in 50 years.
I think that there's a pretty big difference between gender and species dysphoria, so I agree with you on that last part. There's a difference between not wanting to accept the gender role your sex has defined you as being and wanting to be another kind of animal entirely. Personally I think that as long as it's not hurting anyone else or presenting a future danger, people can do whatever they want to their own bodies. Cat ears sounds fine, installing retractable cyber-claws in your hands makes you a flight risk.

May 28, 2015
hentropy said:
Possibly, because the reason she has cat ears is...

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
1981 said:
hentropy said:
Possibly, because the reason she has cat ears is...
I'm aware of that particular contrivance, but it is still a fictional plot contrivance (somehow they have the technology to make someone a furry but not the technology to fix cancer by any other means). I just take issue with the thematic equation of "future otherkin rights" with current transgender rights. If people want kitty ears as a matter of cosmetics and don't mind going through painful therapy to get it, then there's no problem, but don't try to pretend it's comparable to gender identity disorder. If we're talking real-ass science here, genetic therapy so extreme would likely sterilize someone by default, anyway.